Re: Linux: suddenly breaks, doesn't work, what's the point? - Setup

This is a discussion on Re: Linux: suddenly breaks, doesn't work, what's the point? - Setup ; On Sep 22, 6:04*pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote: > On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 02:57:03 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote: > > On Sep 22, 10:58*am, raylopez99 wrote: > >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote: > >> [Litany of Linux woes deleted] > ...

  1. Re: Linux: suddenly breaks, doesn't work, what's the point?

    On Sep 22, 6:04*pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 02:57:03 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:
    > > On Sep 22, 10:58*am, raylopez99 wrote:
    > >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > >> [Litany of Linux woes deleted]

    > >> If that's not a testimonial for not using Linux, I don't know what is!

    > > It's more like a testimonial for using stable and supported versions.
    > > It's a shame that he has to install it himself, but he does. Microsoft
    > > doesn't let the OEMs install Windows and Linux on the same machine,
    > > even though it is technologically easy to do.

    > > Moshe likes to try several different versions and configurations, and
    > > wants to know what works, and what doesn't. *The information provided
    > > in his post was quite valuable. *It would be nice to know more details
    > > about his hardware so that the problems can be resolved, but that
    > > seems to be a common issue in this newsgroup.

    > Very basic system:

    > Asus P4P800 Deluxe board with a 3.0G HT P4
    > 2G memory
    > 3 300G ATA drives

    This shouldn't be problem. I have read of race conditions in early
    SATA drivers when used with SATA-II drives. ATA should be pretty much
    standard.

    Normally I put anything after the second ATA drive in a USB-2 or
    FireWire case, which makes several management issues easier.

    > 1 Sony DVD

    Should be good up to 16x drives. I haven't tried anything faster.

    > Nvidia 6200 (recently replaced an FX5500)

    There is a known issue with one version of X.org X11 servers and the
    Nvidia binary driver, I posted that earlier in this
    (comp.os.linux.advocacy) thread.

    There are updated versions of the X11 server available that will work
    better.
    I don't know if you have to be a "support" customer to get that update
    for Ubuntu or not.

    > Logitech laser mouse wireless.

    I haven't had trouble with Blue-tooth wireless mice and Logitech
    trackballs, but there are several buttons that can be assigned to a
    variety of interesting functions if you can edit the mouse
    configuration file (X11 configuration file).

    > AOC 22 inch wide screen LCD
    > Proview 19 inch wide screen LCD

    Nice screens - what resolution?

    Sometimes cards have a limit on the combined resolutions.
    For example, if you have 2 1900 x 1200 screens, you might
    exceed the bandwidth of the video memory.

    > M-Audio Delta 66 audio card.

    This is a card I'm not familiar with. Appearantly it's a
    card with quite a few channels which can be mixed on-chip.
    Does anybody in comp.os.linux.setup know about how to get
    the most out of this card?

    > M-Audio USB MIDI interface.

    I have one of those myself, for connecting my keyboard to my laptop.
    I don't use it very much, and I don't play keyboard very well, but it
    is nice for transcription. Have you tried Lilypond?

    http://lilypond.org/web/

    > Belkin USB 2.0 hub

    Linux works bests if you put only USB 2.0 on one hub, and only 1.1
    devices on another hub, if you need that many of both. I didn't get
    full speed USB-2 on XP until 2005, because of problems with XP-SP2
    (kept breaking mission critical corporate applications).

    > > What I'd really like to see is more reports on what he (or anyone
    > > else) has found that they like (or don't like) about various Linux
    > > applications. *Are there some favorites? *Are there some that people
    > > really love?

    > I like the Gnome System Monitor Application.

    Glad to hear about that. Have you tried the music studio
    applications? They are separate components, compared to the
    monolithic applications you get in a typical Windows composer type
    applicaton, but that just means you can mix and match to get "best of
    breed" based on your personal preferences.

    I haven't done much with them, but I know there is a Music Studio
    Appliance based on Ubuntu, that handles Midi to sheet music, and sheet
    music to midi to synthesizer, to mixing studio, to CD Ripping. You
    could be a 1 man "band".

    > > But Wintrolls would rather focus on how hard it is to install, which
    > > just highlights the need for enforcing the clause of the settlement
    > > that prohibits Microsoft from interfering with OEM attempts to
    > > preinstall Linux - even if the machine also has Windows preinstalled
    > > as well.

    > Ubuntu was candy to install, with the exception of dual monitors.
    > It took about 30 minutes.

    Glad to hear that. Sorry to hear that you had some of the other
    issues you've written about in this thread.

    Hopefully you've worked through the worst of them, and will get a
    chance to start doing something really fun and interesting with
    Linux. You know, something that you haven't done with Windows because
    you couldn't afford the software required to do it?

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb

  2. Re: Linux: suddenly breaks, doesn't work, what's the point?

    Rex Ballard writes:

    > On Sep 22, 6:04*pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:

    >> > It's more like a testimonial for using stable and supported versions.
    >> > It's a shame that he has to install it himself, but he does. Microsoft
    >> > doesn't let the OEMs install Windows and Linux on the same machine,
    >> > even though it is technologically easy to do.

    >> > Moshe likes to try several different versions and configurations, and
    >> > wants to know what works, and what doesn't. *The information provided
    >> > in his post was quite valuable. *It would be nice to know more details
    >> > about his hardware so that the problems can be resolved, but that
    >> > seems to be a common issue in this newsgroup.

    >> Very basic system:

    >> Asus P4P800 Deluxe board with a 3.0G HT P4
    >> 2G memory
    >> 3 300G ATA drives

    > This shouldn't be problem. I have read of race conditions in early
    > SATA drivers when used with SATA-II drives. ATA should be pretty much
    > standard.
    >
    > Normally I put anything after the second ATA drive in a USB-2 or
    > FireWire case, which makes several management issues easier.

    Only if you go the uuid route in my experience.

+ Reply to Thread