Knoppix OR Slackware on USB thumb drive - Setup

This is a discussion on Knoppix OR Slackware on USB thumb drive - Setup ; I am trying to install various distribution of Linux (experimenting) on to the USB thumb drive. None of them have been completely successful yet. Knoppix was the closest to the perfect install. However, the install in not persistant and Knoppix ...

  1. Knoppix OR Slackware on USB thumb drive

    I am trying to install various distribution of Linux (experimenting) on
    to the USB thumb drive. None of them have been completely successful yet.

    Knoppix was the closest to the perfect install. However, the install in
    not persistant and Knoppix is not finding/connecting to my Wifi network.

    The USB installs do not prompt for different user accounts. They seem
    to take you to a default account fedora, knoppix etc. which do not have
    the root privileges.

    How can I install a persistant image of Knoppix to a USB thumb drive?

    Thank you.

    NJ

    PS - Also, Please let me know if you have instructions to install a
    persistant Slackware on USB. I have tried Pendrive Linux site but have
    not found the persistant solution yet for Knoppix and none for Slackware.

  2. Re: Knoppix OR Slackware on USB thumb drive

    Try http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/02...andriva-flash/

    > The USB installs do not prompt for different user accounts. They seem
    > to take you to a default account fedora, knoppix etc. which do not have
    > the root privileges.

    In Knoppix, you enter the command "su" (no password required), to get root
    access.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Knoppix OR Slackware on USB thumb drive

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, Neil Jones wrote:

    I am trying to install various distribution of Linux (experimenting) on
    > to the USB thumb drive. None of them have been completely successful yet.
    >
    > Knoppix was the closest to the perfect install. However, the install in
    > not persistant and Knoppix is not finding/connecting to my Wifi network.
    >
    > The USB installs do not prompt for different user accounts. They seem
    > to take you to a default account fedora, knoppix etc. which do not have
    > the root privileges.
    >
    > How can I install a persistant image of Knoppix to a USB thumb drive?

    But isn't this because Knoppix is a live distribution, intending
    to be run from the CDROM?

    There'd be little point in having multiple accounts in that case,
    since they'd disappear after each boot.

    I gather you can install Knoppix, and surely you want to read
    about that before installing it to a USB drive.

    Also, do distributions actually prompt for new accounts? I can't
    remember whether mine does or not. It's irrelevant because you can
    always add a user at any time, with a program like adduser. I imagine
    the fancy newfangled distributions may have some gui based program
    that does it, too.

    > Thank you.
    >
    > NJ
    >
    > PS - Also, Please let me know if you have instructions to install a
    > persistant Slackware on USB. I have tried Pendrive Linux site but have
    > not found the persistant solution yet for Knoppix and none for Slackware.

    Slackware has never been a live distribution. You have to install it,
    and then it's "persistent". So long as you have a USB flash drive
    that's big enough, or you can live with a selective install, then
    you install to the flash drive, and set things up to boot from it.

    Michael

  4. Re: Knoppix OR Slackware on USB thumb drive

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 18:30:47 -0400, Neil Jones wrote:

    > I am trying to install various distribution of Linux (experimenting) on
    > to the USB thumb drive. None of them have been completely successful yet.
    >
    > Knoppix was the closest to the perfect install. However, the install in
    > not persistant and Knoppix is not finding/connecting to my Wifi network.
    >
    > The USB installs do not prompt for different user accounts. They seem
    > to take you to a default account fedora, knoppix etc. which do not have
    > the root privileges.
    >
    > How can I install a persistant image of Knoppix to a USB thumb drive?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > NJ
    >
    > PS - Also, Please let me know if you have instructions to install a
    > persistant Slackware on USB. I have tried Pendrive Linux site but have
    > not found the persistant solution yet for Knoppix and none for Slackware.

    You can setup Slackware to boot from a USB disk. The specific hardware
    which is deployed at the USB disk is not that relevent- it can be magnetic
    or flash technology. The USB interface controller and speed is relevent
    to how you will proceed to bootstrap and how much performance you can
    expect. I get very good performance over USB 2.0, and acceptable
    performance for USB 1.1 (for rescue environments).

    This is the official documentation from the Slackware Linux Project:
    ..../slackware/slackware-12.1/usb-and-pxe-installers/README_USB.TXT

    Choose any slackware mirror and check it out!

    If you want to "do it for yourself," then that is certainly a valid
    option. The prerequisite is that you need to understand a bit about what
    you are doing first. Experience with the bootloader, kernel, kernel
    modules and initrd, is a required prerequisite. If you are an "old hand"
    at setting up Slackware, then I'm sure you can figure it out. I have
    written about this before. Some of the fine points have changed slightly
    with the release of 12.x, though.

    In short, I use the grub loader. Setup for the loader is typical, and uses
    and initrd.

    The initrd must include the usb modules: uhci_hcd, ohci_hcd, ehci_hcd,
    usb_storage. Also, any filesystems used (ext2, xfs, etc). man mkinitrd
    (slackware specific).

    The root filesystem can be setup in advance on the target device. That's
    actually the easy part, the trick is getting the loader other parts in
    place.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  5. Re: Knoppix OR Slackware on USB thumb drive

    In comp.os.linux.admin Michael Black wrote:
    > On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, Neil Jones wrote:
    >

    > I am trying to install various distribution of Linux (experimenting) on
    >> to the USB thumb drive. None of them have been completely successful yet.
    >>
    >> Knoppix was the closest to the perfect install. However, the install in
    >> not persistant and Knoppix is not finding/connecting to my Wifi network.
    >>
    >> The USB installs do not prompt for different user accounts. They seem
    >> to take you to a default account fedora, knoppix etc. which do not have
    >> the root privileges.
    >>
    >> How can I install a persistant image of Knoppix to a USB thumb drive?
    >>

    > But isn't this because Knoppix is a live distribution, intending
    > to be run from the CDROM?
    >
    > There'd be little point in having multiple accounts in that case,
    > since they'd disappear after each boot.
    >
    > I gather you can install Knoppix, and surely you want to read
    > about that before installing it to a USB drive.
    >
    > Also, do distributions actually prompt for new accounts? I can't
    > remember whether mine does or not. It's irrelevant because you can
    > always add a user at any time, with a program like adduser. I imagine
    > the fancy newfangled distributions may have some gui based program
    > that does it, too.
    >
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> NJ
    >>
    >> PS - Also, Please let me know if you have instructions to install a
    >> persistant Slackware on USB. I have tried Pendrive Linux site but have
    >> not found the persistant solution yet for Knoppix and none for Slackware.
    >>

    > Slackware has never been a live distribution. You have to install it,
    > and then it's "persistent". So long as you have a USB flash drive
    > that's big enough, or you can live with a selective install, then
    > you install to the flash drive, and set things up to boot from it.
    >
    > Michael

    RIP-Linux, which is designed to be used for recovery, is built on
    Slackware. There are instructions and IIRC a shell script to make it
    bootable from a USB device. It's also easily customizable, if you're
    familiar with Slackware.

    Jerry

+ Reply to Thread