automount - 2 directories / 1 map, is it possible? - Setup

This is a discussion on automount - 2 directories / 1 map, is it possible? - Setup ; I have read the manual, I suspected I may be able to use -D HOST option to accomplish what I need, but I am not sure how to setup. Hopefully someone have tried it before.. In our environment, I have ...

  1. automount - 2 directories / 1 map, is it possible?

    I have read the manual, I suspected I may be able to use -D HOST
    option to accomplish what I need, but I am not sure how to setup.
    Hopefully someone have tried it before..

    In our environment, I have one NIS domain, 2 sites and 2 NFS
    servers, say nfs_serverA, nfs_serverB. For an application id, we like
    to be able to use /home/appid from nfs_serverA when we are in
    clienta1, clienta2, but when we log onto clientb1, clientb2, they like
    to use /home/appid from nfs_serverB.

    I know I can have my auto.home map setup as the following
    appid nfs_serverA:/export/appid nfs_serverB:/export/appid

    As clienta1, clienta2, nfs_serverA are on the same site, therefore it
    is likely that /home/cienta1 and /home/clienta2 will likely come from
    nfs_serverA, but i hope to be able to guarantee that it is where the
    file comes from, is it possible? Note that /home/appid is read/write,
    not readonly and this is the only directory in the NIS map that has
    the requirement.

    Thanks for the help.
    Michelle

  2. Re: automount - 2 directories / 1 map, is it possible?

    umichelle@rocketmail.com wrote:
    > I have read the manual, I suspected I may be able to use -D HOST
    > option to accomplish what I need, but I am not sure how to setup.
    > Hopefully someone have tried it before..
    >
    > In our environment, I have one NIS domain, 2 sites and 2 NFS
    > servers, say nfs_serverA, nfs_serverB. For an application id, we like
    > to be able to use /home/appid from nfs_serverA when we are in
    > clienta1, clienta2, but when we log onto clientb1, clientb2, they like
    > to use /home/appid from nfs_serverB.

    Hold it. Don't bother. NIS is no good at publishing different maps to
    different clients.

    Either set up 2 different NIS domains, or give up on NIS for auto.master
    (which * recommend strongly). Instead, assure that you have nothing native in
    /home, and link the auto-mounted /net/

    Why are you using NIS, when LDAP is so much more powerful, flexible, and could
    allow sub-domains to be based on the contents of master domains and do this
    sort of thing?

    > I know I can have my auto.home map setup as the following
    > appid nfs_serverA:/export/appid nfs_serverB:/export/appid
    >
    > As clienta1, clienta2, nfs_serverA are on the same site, therefore it
    > is likely that /home/cienta1 and /home/clienta2 will likely come from
    > nfs_serverA, but i hope to be able to guarantee that it is where the
    > file comes from, is it possible? Note that /home/appid is read/write,
    > not readonly and this is the only directory in the NIS map that has
    > the requirement.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    > Michelle

    I think you need to rethink this a bit. If there is a server in site a, for
    example, that is referred to as 'homeserver', then via DNS you could have that
    be a different server in each site and manipulate it that way. Just be careful
    when a client shuts down that NFS doesn't get a bit confused, especially when
    you move machines from one site to another.

  3. Re: automount - 2 directories / 1 map, is it possible?

    Thanks.
    Unfortunately using 2 NIS domains is not an option, it is a big
    environment and I own a small part of the setup.
    I had considered not using NIS for auto.home rather based on /etc/
    auto.home, however, /home/appid is the only home that has two
    different locations and the contents for both is not necessary
    identical.
    therefore if I were to manage /etc/auto.home, it also means that I
    will have to manually manage other homes.

    I am not sure how "homeserver" can work in the environment, because I
    think the conflict is on the home mount point. Therefore as long as I
    cannot change the mont point /home/appid, and using the NIS automount.
    I can't figure out how clients in site A accessing NFS servers in site
    A.

    On Sep 7, 8:02*am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > umiche...@rocketmail.com wrote:
    > > I have read the manual, I suspected I may be able to use -D HOST
    > > option to accomplish what I need, but I am not sure how to setup.
    > > Hopefully someone have tried it before..

    > > In our *environment, I have one NIS domain, *2 sites and 2 NFS
    > > servers, say nfs_serverA, nfs_serverB. For an application id, we like
    > > to be able to use /home/appid from nfs_serverA when we are in
    > > clienta1, clienta2, but when we log onto clientb1, clientb2, they like
    > > to use /home/appid from nfs_serverB.

    > Hold it. Don't bother. NIS is no good at publishing different maps to
    > different clients.
    >
    > Either set up 2 different NIS domains, or give up on NIS for auto.master
    > (which * recommend strongly). Instead, assure that you have nothing native in
    > /home, and link the auto-mounted /net/
    >
    > Why are you using NIS, when LDAP is so much more powerful, flexible, and could
    > allow sub-domains to be based on the contents of master domains and do this
    > sort of thing?
    >
    > > I know I can have my auto.home map setup as the following
    > > appid nfs_serverA:/export/appid nfs_serverB:/export/appid

    > > As clienta1, clienta2, nfs_serverA are on the same site, therefore it
    > > is likely that /home/cienta1 and /home/clienta2 will likely come from
    > > nfs_serverA, but i hope to be able to guarantee that it is where the
    > > file *comes from, is it possible? Note that /home/appid is read/write,
    > > not readonly and this is the only directory in the NIS map that has
    > > the requirement.

    > > Thanks for the help.
    > > Michelle

    > I think you need to rethink this a bit. If there is a server in site a, for
    > example, that is referred to as 'homeserver', then via DNS you could havethat
    > be a different server in each site and manipulate it that way. Just be careful
    > when a client shuts down that NFS doesn't get a bit confused, especially when
    > you move machines from one site to another.

  4. Re: automount - 2 directories / 1 map, is it possible?

    umiche...@rocketmail.com wrote:

    > Unfortunately using 2 NIS domains is not an option, it is a big
    > environment and I own a small part of the setup.
    > I had considered not using NIS for auto.home rather based on /etc/
    > auto.home, however, /home/appid is the only home that has two
    > different locations and the contents for both is not necessary
    > identical.
    > therefore if I were to manage /etc/auto.home, it also means that I
    > will have to manually manage other homes.

    I have used rdist to distribute automount config files and then
    launch a Makefile on changed ones. Then I built knowledge
    of hosts into the Makefile. When I did it my Makefile had
    sections for Solaris, HPUX, AIX, Irix and so on instead of
    using the hostname but the principle remains.

    I've since switched from rdist to rsync but haven't needed to
    trigger a Makefile on each host since making the switch. I
    haven't checked if rsync can do that.

    > I am not sure how "homeserver" can work in the environment, because I
    > think the conflict is on the home mount point. Therefore as long as I
    > cannot change the mont point /home/appid, and using the NIS automount.
    > I can't figure out how clients in site A accessing NFS servers in site
    > A.

    If all mounts from the host are effected you could also hack
    /etc/inet/hosts and use the same name. Definite brute force
    and ignorance approach. Very effective at times when it works.

+ Reply to Thread