upgrade to kernel 2.6 broke console font mapping? - Setup

This is a discussion on upgrade to kernel 2.6 broke console font mapping? - Setup ; Problem: all the accented characters in latin-1 are mapped to the same glyph, a reverse-video questionmark. Prior to the upgrade, they were displayed correctly. Examining the character codes, I can see that they are what I expect, i.e. different latin-1 ...

  1. upgrade to kernel 2.6 broke console font mapping?

    Problem: all the accented characters in latin-1 are mapped to the same
    glyph, a reverse-video questionmark.
    Prior to the upgrade, they were displayed correctly.
    Examining the character codes, I can see that they are what I expect,
    i.e. different latin-1 accented characters.

    showconsolefont tells me that the correct glyphs are present on the
    video card - I put them there after each
    boot using setfont lat1-16.psfu.gz
    [that's off the top of my head; I'm not at my Linux box right now] -
    but are just not being called for.

    The box is a Dell Gx1p with 400Mhz PII and ATI 3D RagePro AGP video.
    I'm using Slackware 11.x (which
    originally had kernel 2.4), minimally upgraded to run kernel 2.6.24.5-
    smp from Slackware 12.1. Because
    this was a partial, piecemeal upgrade, I may have accidentally broken
    the console font setup in some
    obscure way, but I've read the kbd doc without finding out how to fix
    it. Almost everything else works fine.

    I have kbd-1.12 installed, which is current for Slackware 12.1, and it
    says that setfont automatically installs
    the font mappings packaged with psfu fonts, so there's nothing to be
    done there. That seems to leave the
    possibility that I'm somehow in the wrong console mode, but I don't
    know why this might come about, or
    how to check on it. The reset program doesn't fix it. My lilo.conf
    uses vga=normal, which doesn't add
    anything to the kernel command line, and it correctly boots in 80x25
    mode.

    Ideas and clues gratefully received ...

  2. Re: upgrade to kernel 2.6 broke console font mapping?

    jim writes:

    > Problem: all the accented characters in latin-1 are mapped to the same
    > glyph, a reverse-video questionmark.
    > Prior to the upgrade, they were displayed correctly.
    > Examining the character codes, I can see that they are what I expect,
    > i.e. different latin-1 accented characters.

    In latest linux 2.6 kernel, console defaults to UTF-8.

    You can append this to your lilo boot command line to disable
    this:

    vt.default_utf8=0

    Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread