Installing GTK+ - Setup

This is a discussion on Installing GTK+ - Setup ; I wanted to install Firefox - so went and installed the necessary packages including freetype and fontconfig When I do pkg-config --modversion fontconfig I see 2.6.0 But when I try .configure for Cairo 1.6.4, I get configure: error: Cairo requires ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Installing GTK+

  1. Installing GTK+

    I wanted to install Firefox - so went and installed the necessary
    packages including
    freetype and fontconfig
    When I do pkg-config --modversion fontconfig
    I see 2.6.0
    But when I try .configure for Cairo 1.6.4, I get
    configure: error: Cairo requires at least one font backend.
    Please install freetype and fontconfig, then try
    again:
    http://freetype.org/ http://fontconfig.org/

    I also installed freetype

    Can someone please help ?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Installing GTK+

    On Sep 2, 7:20 am, Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On 2008-09-01, Raj. wrote:
    >
    > > I wanted to install Firefox - so went and installed the necessary
    > > packages including
    > > freetype and fontconfig
    > > When I do pkg-config --modversion fontconfig
    > > I see 2.6.0
    > > But when I try .configure for Cairo 1.6.4, I get
    > > configure: error: Cairo requires at least one font backend.
    > > Please install freetype and fontconfig, then try
    > > again:
    > > http://freetype.org/ http://fontconfig.org/

    >
    > > I also installed freetype

    >
    > You might need to install development packages. What distro are you
    > using, Slackware or Gentoo? If not, try "aptitude install firefox" or
    > "yum install firefox".


    Hi, I am using Debian 4
    I made some changed - relatively new to Linux if it doesn't already
    come across
    I re-installed the OS on the laptop
    Now here's the problem -
    I need to install firefox - which needs GTK which needs 'glib-2.0 >=
    2.13.5'
    If I install the latet version - I was getting an error message saying
    - even though

    pkg-config --modversion glib2.0 returned 2.17.x - an older version was
    found

    so I uninstalled the new versions
    and now back to 'glib-2.0 >= 2.13.5' needed

    Can you also please explain - what is pkg-config ?
    what is ./configure ?
    what is make ?
    make install ?

    I understand it is the compilation process

    and transforms source to object to machine code - but what each what
    do ?

    Many thanks to all.

  3. Re: Installing GTK+

    Raj. wrote:
    > On Sep 2, 7:20 am, Bill Marcum wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-01, Raj. wrote:
    >>
    >> > I wanted to install Firefox - so went and installed the necessary
    >> > packages including
    >> > freetype and fontconfig
    >> > When I do pkg-config --modversion fontconfig
    >> > I see 2.6.0
    >> > But when I try .configure for Cairo 1.6.4, I get
    >> > configure: error: Cairo requires at least one font backend.
    >> > Please install freetype and fontconfig, then try
    >> > again:
    >> > http://freetype.org/ http://fontconfig.org/

    >>
    >> > I also installed freetype

    >>
    >> You might need to install development packages. What distro are you
    >> using, Slackware or Gentoo? If not, try "aptitude install firefox" or
    >> "yum install firefox".

    >
    > Hi, I am using Debian 4
    > I made some changed - relatively new to Linux if it doesn't already
    > come across
    > I re-installed the OS on the laptop
    > Now here's the problem -
    > I need to install firefox - which needs GTK which needs 'glib-2.0 >=
    > 2.13.5'
    > If I install the latet version - I was getting an error message saying
    > - even though


    If you're using debian, why are you compiling?
    just use the packaging system built into the distribution.
    That way any updates that come around for security problems/bugs/feature
    enhancements will be upgraded by that system.

    Also, installing using the package system automatically installs all the
    dependencies such as gtk/glib/pango/etc too.

    want to install firefox? simple.
    apt-get install firefox


    > pkg-config --modversion glib2.0 returned 2.17.x - an older version was
    > found
    >
    > so I uninstalled the new versions
    > and now back to 'glib-2.0 >= 2.13.5' needed
    >
    > Can you also please explain - what is pkg-config ?
    > what is ./configure ?
    > what is make ?
    > make install ?
    >
    > I understand it is the compilation process
    >
    > and transforms source to object to machine code - but what each what
    > do ?


    ../configure scans your system to find what your system looks like and
    creates a Makefile. This makefile is taylored to you system based on
    operating system, libraries, cpu, etc.

    This makefile is then compiled with make
    Then, su to root and make install places all the files that were built by
    the make into the correct directories.

    But you shouldn't need to compile MOST things on a debian system.
    (there are a few exceptions, like the odd obscure program that's not made it
    into the debian repositories, but firefox isn't one of them)
    --
    | |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
    | |can't move, with no hope of rescue. |
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc |Consider how lucky you are that life has been |
    | in |good to you so far... |
    | Computer Science | -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy.|

  4. Re: Installing GTK+

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 12:30:07 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > want to install firefox? simple.
    > apt-get install firefox


    That is *not* going to install firefox. It might get iceweasel-2.0.0.16
    however.


  5. Re: Installing GTK+

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 12:30:07 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> want to install firefox? simple.
    >> apt-get install firefox

    >
    > That is *not* going to install firefox. It might get iceweasel-2.0.0.16
    > however.
    >

    apt-get install firefox3?
    (or firefox2)?

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | I can SMELL!!! KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and |
    | in | get out the puncture repair kit!" |
    | Computer Science | Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf |

  6. Re: Installing GTK+

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 14:50:09 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 12:30:07 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>
    >>> want to install firefox? simple.
    >>> apt-get install firefox

    >>
    >> That is *not* going to install firefox. It might get iceweasel-2.0.0.16
    >> however.
    >>

    > apt-get install firefox3?
    > (or firefox2)?


    Nope. Debian has issues with the Mozilla Foundation and the firefox name
    is one of them. But.... /usr/bin/firefox->../lib/iceweasel/iceweasel.


  7. Re: Installing GTK+

    On Sep 5, 10:16*am, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 14:50:09 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > > Dave Uhring wrote:
    > >> On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 12:30:07 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    >
    > >>> want to install firefox? simple.
    > >>> apt-get install firefox

    >
    > >> That is *not* going to install firefox. *It might get iceweasel-2.0.0.16
    > >> however.

    >
    > > apt-get install firefox3?
    > > (or firefox2)?

    >
    > Nope. *Debian has issues with the Mozilla Foundation and the firefox name
    > is one of them. *But.... /usr/bin/firefox->../lib/iceweasel/iceweasel.


    Correct - The Debain Project tailored the firefox browser to call it
    IceWeasel 2.some version. I am trying to install Firefox 3.0 which
    needs GTK, which needs glib. so back to

    need to install firefox - which needs GTK which needs 'glib-2.0 >=
    2.13.5'
    If I install the latet version - I was getting an error message saying
    - even though

    pkg-config --modversion glib2.0 returned 2.17.x - an older version was
    found

    so I uninstalled the new versions
    and now back to 'glib-2.0 >= 2.13.5' needed

    If I unintall the old version libglib2.0 - it removes a whole lot of
    packages which in the past caused gnome to stop working.

    Rajesh,

+ Reply to Thread