Mount Problem - Setup

This is a discussion on Mount Problem - Setup ; Hi, My Fedora 9 system is partitioned as follows. /dev/sda5 Swap Partition /dev/sda6 Mounted as /boot /dev/sda7 Mounted as / It works fine, no problems. In addition, I have data on /dev/sda1 and I want to mount this partition on ...

  1. Mount Problem

    Hi,

    My Fedora 9 system is partitioned as follows.

    /dev/sda5 Swap Partition
    /dev/sda6 Mounted as /boot
    /dev/sda7 Mounted as /

    It works fine, no problems.

    In addition, I have data on /dev/sda1 and I want to mount this
    partition on my file system. I added the following line at the end of
    /etc/fstab.

    /dev/sda1 /mnt ext3 defaults 1 2 # just testing with /mnt

    When I reboot the system, it works, the data on /dev/sda1 is visible
    under /mnt. The problem is that this is only a test, I really want to
    mount /dev/sda1 on /var/ftp/pub/fedora, not /mnt. This directory
    chain exists. Therefore, I changed the previously added line in
    /etc/fstab to:

    /dev/sda1 /var/ftp/pub/fedora ext3 defaults 1 2 # this is what I want

    This time when I reboot the system the partition is not mounted. I
    can easily see this by running "# mount". The unusual thing is if I
    now run "# mount /dev/sda1" the mount command reads fstab and mounts
    /dev/sda1 on /var/ftp/pub/fedora. I don't understand why the entry in
    fstab doesn't do the mount when the system is started. Any
    suggestions would be appreciated.

    Here is some additional information.

    1. Fedora 9 is installed on an external USB hard drive. My BIOS
    allows booting from it.

    2. When I installed Fedora 9 I used fdisk on the live CD to do the
    partitioning on the USB drive. The USB disk appeared as sdb and the
    computer's internal drive was sda. I also used the live CD to do the
    install on the USB hard drive.

    3. After the install was complete and Fedora 9 was booted, the drive
    letters were reversed, sda is now the Fedora 9 OS and sdb is the
    computer's internal hard drive.

    4. Grub was properly installed on the USB hard drive.

    5. It all works except for the mounting problem.

    Thank you,
    Joe Hesse

  2. Re: Mount Problem

    Le 31.08.2008 21:30, Joseph Hesse a écrit :
    > Hi,
    >
    > My Fedora 9 system is partitioned as follows.
    >

    > 1. Fedora 9 is installed on an external USB hard drive. My BIOS
    > allows booting from it.

    The problem may be here, because the mount point of an external device
    is not always the same....

    suggestion: why not use the UUID?

    Once your /var/ftp/pub/fedora is mounted (use what you want to have it
    mounted...) run:

    ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

    You will get the UUID of your device, have a look at man fstab: in the
    first field you can put :

    UUID=

    --
    François Patte
    Université Paris 5 - Paris

  3. Re: Mount Problem

    Joseph Hesse writes:

    >Hi,

    >My Fedora 9 system is partitioned as follows.

    >/dev/sda5 Swap Partition
    >/dev/sda6 Mounted as /boot

    Why do you have a separate /boot partition?

    >/dev/sda7 Mounted as /

    You shoul dshow us your whole /etc/fstab. We do not know how you set up
    your system. You admit you do not know what is going on, so you cannot be
    trusted to summarize properly.

    >It works fine, no problems.

    >In addition, I have data on /dev/sda1 and I want to mount this
    >partition on my file system. I added the following line at the end of
    >/etc/fstab.

    >/dev/sda1 /mnt ext3 defaults 1 2 # just testing with /mnt

    >When I reboot the system, it works, the data on /dev/sda1 is visible
    >under /mnt. The problem is that this is only a test, I really want to
    >mount /dev/sda1 on /var/ftp/pub/fedora, not /mnt. This directory
    >chain exists. Therefore, I changed the previously added line in
    >/etc/fstab to:

    >/dev/sda1 /var/ftp/pub/fedora ext3 defaults 1 2 # this is what I want

    Does /var/ftp/pub/fedora exist when the systme tries to mount stuff?

    >This time when I reboot the system the partition is not mounted. I
    >can easily see this by running "# mount". The unusual thing is if I
    >now run "# mount /dev/sda1" the mount command reads fstab and mounts

    mount -a

    >/dev/sda1 on /var/ftp/pub/fedora. I don't understand why the entry in
    >fstab doesn't do the mount when the system is started. Any
    >suggestions would be appreciated.

    It could be that the partition does not exist at the time, or some race
    condition. Show us your complete /etc/fstab.

    >Here is some additional information.

    >1. Fedora 9 is installed on an external USB hard drive. My BIOS
    >allows booting from it.

    The external usb may not yet be operational when mount tries to mount the
    file.

    >2. When I installed Fedora 9 I used fdisk on the live CD to do the
    >partitioning on the USB drive. The USB disk appeared as sdb and the
    >computer's internal drive was sda. I also used the live CD to do the
    >install on the USB hard drive.

    Are you sure it is /dev/sdb?

    >3. After the install was complete and Fedora 9 was booted, the drive
    >letters were reversed, sda is now the Fedora 9 OS and sdb is the
    >computer's internal hard drive.

    So that relabeling could well mess up your system while booting.

    >4. Grub was properly installed on the USB hard drive.

    >5. It all works except for the mounting problem.

    >Thank you,
    >Joe Hesse

  4. Re: Mount Problem

    Unruh wrote:
    > Joseph Hesse writes:
    >
    >> Hi,

    >> My Fedora 9 system is partitioned as follows.

    >> /dev/sda5 Swap Partition
    >> /dev/sda6 Mounted as /boot

    > Why do you have a separate /boot partition?

    Most Linux distributions do this as a default: it's a legacy of the old 1023
    cylinder limit for locating LILO, and remains useful for filesystems that are
    not built into grub (such as REiserFS)

    >> /dev/sda7 Mounted as /

    > You shoul dshow us your whole /etc/fstab. We do not know how you set up
    > your system. You admit you do not know what is going on, so you cannot be
    > trusted to summarize properly.
    >
    >> It works fine, no problems.

    >> In addition, I have data on /dev/sda1 and I want to mount this
    >> partition on my file system. I added the following line at the end of
    >> /etc/fstab.

    >> /dev/sda1 /mnt ext3 defaults 1 2 # just testing with /mnt

    >> When I reboot the system, it works, the data on /dev/sda1 is visible
    >> under /mnt. The problem is that this is only a test, I really want to
    >> mount /dev/sda1 on /var/ftp/pub/fedora, not /mnt. This directory
    >> chain exists. Therefore, I changed the previously added line in
    >> /etc/fstab to:

    >> /dev/sda1 /var/ftp/pub/fedora ext3 defaults 1 2 # this is what I want

    > Does /var/ftp/pub/fedora exist when the systme tries to mount stuff?
    >

    >> This time when I reboot the system the partition is not mounted. I
    >> can easily see this by running "# mount". The unusual thing is if I
    >> now run "# mount /dev/sda1" the mount command reads fstab and mounts

    > mount -a
    >
    >> /dev/sda1 on /var/ftp/pub/fedora. I don't understand why the entry in
    >> fstab doesn't do the mount when the system is started. Any
    >> suggestions would be appreciated.

    > It could be that the partition does not exist at the time, or some race
    > condition. Show us your complete /etc/fstab.

    >> Here is some additional information.

    >> 1. Fedora 9 is installed on an external USB hard drive. My BIOS
    >> allows booting from it.

    > The external usb may not yet be operational when mount tries to mount the
    > file.

    USB hard drive? You're using an external USB hard drive for this? That can
    present adventures:

    >> 2. When I installed Fedora 9 I used fdisk on the live CD to do the
    >> partitioning on the USB drive. The USB disk appeared as sdb and the
    >> computer's internal drive was sda. I also used the live CD to do the
    >> install on the USB hard drive.

    > Are you sure it is /dev/sdb?
    >

    >> 3. After the install was complete and Fedora 9 was booted, the drive
    >> letters were reversed, sda is now the Fedora 9 OS and sdb is the
    >> computer's internal hard drive.

    > So that relabeling could well mess up your system while booting.

    Yup. SCSI drive renumbering is an issue for many situations: This is why
    Fedora uses LABEL=/ and LABEL=/boot for labeled ext3 partitons in /etc/fstab.
    You might consider using this instead of using hard-coded /dev/sda* entries.

    >> 4. Grub was properly installed on the USB hard drive.

    >> 5. It all works except for the mounting problem.

    >> Thank you,
    >> Joe Hesse

  5. Re: Mount Problem

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, Unruh wrote:

    >> Here is some additional information.

    >> 1. Fedora 9 is installed on an external USB hard drive. My BIOS
    >> allows booting from it.

    > The external usb may not yet be operational when mount tries to mount the
    > file.

    Except that he seems to be booting from that drive, and the booting
    would stall if the drive wasn't ready, or something was needed to
    read the USB drive.

    The bios boots from the external USB drive, Linux starts running, and
    then mounts the partitions.

    If he was merely using this drive for data, your point would make
    sense.

    It would help to know what he is doing exactly. Why does the
    partition mounted in such an odd place? He may have a logical
    reason, but that's not clear, and /mnt or /mnt/here at least
    makes things simple.

    I am wondering if there's an issue somewhere with permission.

    Michael

  6. Re: Mount Problem

    Joseph Hesse wrote:

    > I don't understand why the entry in
    > fstab doesn't do the mount when the system is started. Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.

    If it working manually at a later time, this could be because either:

    The device is not available at the time that mount is being undertaken,
    for example the modules to drive the external USB SCSI device are
    occuring after the filesystem is being mounted.

    The mount is working, but something is then mounting /var "over the top"
    of the mounted device, so that the mounted directory appears to be
    empty.

    Try the following once your system has booted. If this works, fix your
    scripts, (or add this kludge to the end of your startup sequence):

    mount -o remount /var/ftp/pub/fedora

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  7. Re: Mount Problem

    On 1 Sep, 18:08, Michael Black wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, Unruh wrote:
    >
    > >> Here is some additional information.

    > >> 1. Fedora 9 is installed on an external USB hard drive. *My BIOS
    > >> allows booting from it.

    > > The external usb may not yet be operational when mount tries to mount the
    > > file.

    > Except that he seems to be booting from that drive, and the booting
    > would stall if the drive wasn't ready, or something was needed to
    > read the USB drive.
    >
    > The bios boots from the external USB drive, Linux starts running, and
    > then mounts the partitions.
    >
    > If he was merely using this drive for data, your point would make
    > sense.
    >
    > It would help to know what he is doing exactly. *Why does the
    > partition mounted in such an odd place? *He may have a logical
    > reason, but that's not clear, and /mnt or /mnt/here at least
    > makes things simple.
    >
    > I am wondering if there's an issue somewhere with permission.
    >
    > * *Michael

    I didn't mean to assume that this would fix his solution. But it may
    help considerably further down the road.

    Permissions, permissions. Oh, no. Not SELinux again? See this comic
    for something close to my experience with SELinux:

    http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080831

+ Reply to Thread