How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box? - Setup

This is a discussion on How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box? - Setup ; I have a working FC4 server (old, I know, but if it ain't broke don't fix it) and I need to add a perl module required by another program. I am not a PERL programmer. What is the proper way ...

  1. How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    I have a working FC4 server (old, I know, but if it ain't broke don't
    fix it) and I need to add a perl module required by another program. I
    am not a PERL programmer.

    What is the proper way to add a PERL module to such machine?

    Is it as simple as untaring a tar file into a specific directory? If
    the answer is yes, what is the name of that directory?

    Thanks,
    Sam

  2. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I have a working FC4 server (old, I know, but if it ain't broke don't
    > fix it) and I need to add a perl module required by another program. I
    > am not a PERL programmer.
    >
    > What is the proper way to add a PERL module to such machine?
    >
    > Is it as simple as untaring a tar file into a specific directory? If
    > the answer is yes, what is the name of that directory?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sam

    Usually by finding it at RPMforge, or EPEL repositories. Take a look at
    http://rpm.pbone.net/ for the module you're looking for. Also, for a module
    like 'NET::Ldap', you could use the yum syntax "yum info 'perl(NET::Ldap)' and
    see what you get.

  3. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    On Aug 29, 8:53 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > Usually by finding it at RPMforge, or EPEL repositories. Take a look athttp://rpm.pbone.net/for the module you're looking for. Also, for a module
    > like 'NET::Ldap', you could use the yum syntax "yum info 'perl(NET::Ldap)' and
    > see what you get.

    Thanks! I just discovered 'man perlmodinstall' and this is great. Here
    is what it says:

    ======= START QUOTE ==========
    First, are you sure that the module isn't already on your system? Try
    "perl -MFoo -e 1". (Replace "Foo" with the name of the module; for
    instance, "perl -MCGI::Carp -e 1".

    If you don't see an error message, you have the module. (If you do
    see an error message, it's still possible you have the module, but
    that it's not in your path, which you can display with "perl -e "print
    qq(@INC)"".) For the remainder of this document, we'll assume that
    you really honestly truly lack an installed module, but have found it
    on the CPAN.

    So now you have a file ending in .tar.gz (or, less often, .zip). You
    know there's a tasty module inside. There are four steps you must now
    take:

    DECOMPRESS the file UNPACK the file into a directory BUILD the module
    (sometimes unnecessary) INSTALL the module.

    Here's how to perform each step for each operating system. This is
    a substitute for reading the README and INSTALL files that might
    have come with your module!
    ======== END QUOTE =========

    I guest that I have some reading to do. :-)

    Thanks!

  4. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Aug 29, 8:53 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> Usually by finding it at RPMforge, or EPEL repositories. Take a look athttp://rpm.pbone.net/for the module you're looking for. Also, for a module
    >> like 'NET::Ldap', you could use the yum syntax "yum info 'perl(NET::Ldap)' and
    >> see what you get.

    > Thanks! I just discovered 'man perlmodinstall' and this is great. Here
    > is what it says:
    >
    > ======= START QUOTE ==========
    > First, are you sure that the module isn't already on your system? Try
    > "perl -MFoo -e 1". (Replace "Foo" with the name of the module; for
    > instance, "perl -MCGI::Carp -e 1".
    >
    > If you don't see an error message, you have the module. (If you do
    > see an error message, it's still possible you have the module, but
    > that it's not in your path, which you can display with "perl -e "print
    > qq(@INC)"".) For the remainder of this document, we'll assume that
    > you really honestly truly lack an installed module, but have found it
    > on the CPAN.
    >
    > So now you have a file ending in .tar.gz (or, less often, .zip). You
    > know there's a tasty module inside. There are four steps you must now
    > take:
    >
    > DECOMPRESS the file UNPACK the file into a directory BUILD the module
    > (sometimes unnecessary) INSTALL the module.

    NO-NO-NO-NO-NO!!!!!!!

    Do not do this to any OS that uses packaging. You will confuse the tar out of
    it, because it *will not know* that you have installed the module and
    satisfied dependencies when you install other packages, and which version you
    get will depend on your perl module path settings and whether components were
    overwritten.

    Please, for your own safety and sanity, use the published modules. If you have
    to add modules, at least get 'cpan2rpm' as am RPM and use that to build new
    RPM's with your Perl tarballs in them.

    > Here's how to perform each step for each operating system. This is
    > a substitute for reading the README and INSTALL files that might
    > have come with your module!
    > ======== END QUOTE =========
    >
    > I guest that I have some reading to do. :-)
    >
    > Thanks!

    REading is good. Learning how Perl's MakeMaker works is also good, but please
    don't discard your system's built-in package management. That way lies serious
    instability.

  5. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    On Aug 29, 11:06 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > NO-NO-NO-NO-NO!!!!!!!
    >
    > Do not do this to any OS that uses packaging. You will confuse the
    > tar out of it, because it *will not know* that you have installed the
    > module and satisfied dependencies when you install other packages

    Nico, thank you very much for raising my awareness to this.
    Fortunately, I haven't done anything yet on my system so I am glad I
    got to read your warning before doing low level stuff.

    I have used 'yum' in the past. Assuming that I found an RPM that
    contains the perl package in which I am interested (PDF:Reuse), what
    would be the correct way to invoke yum to install it for me?

    Thanks,
    Sam

  6. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Aug 29, 11:06 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> NO-NO-NO-NO-NO!!!!!!!
    >>
    >> Do not do this to any OS that uses packaging. You will confuse the
    >> tar out of it, because it *will not know* that you have installed the
    >> module and satisfied dependencies when you install other packages
    >>

    > Nico, thank you very much for raising my awareness to this.
    > Fortunately, I haven't done anything yet on my system so I am glad I
    > got to read your warning before doing low level stuff.
    >
    > I have used 'yum' in the past. Assuming that I found an RPM that
    > contains the perl package in which I am interested (PDF:Reuse), what
    > would be the correct way to invoke yum to install it for me?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sam

    No problem. It's a common confusion: well-written packages have installation
    procedures that RPM and Yum, or other tools like apt, live on top of.

    If it matches the other components of your system, you should be able to use
    'yum install [package.rm]', nad let Yum resolve the dependencies for you. You
    may need to add a .repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ to point to whatever
    additional repository you got the RPM file, to resolve those dependencies.
    This is much cleaner than RedHat's old 'up2date' repository manager.

  7. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    On Aug 29, 12:07 pm, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > If it matches the other components of your system, you should be able to use
    > 'yum install [package.rm]', nad let Yum resolve the dependencies for you. You
    > may need to add a .repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ to point to whatever
    > additional repository you got the RPM file, to resolve those dependencies.
    > This is much cleaner than RedHat's old 'up2date' repository manager.

    OK - I got to run 'yum' after a loooooooong time of not using it.
    Invokes nice memories. :-)

    First, I ran: wget http://www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf.
    Then, I ran: yum check-update
    Then, I ran: yum update perl

    Which had the following result:

    =============== START QUOTE ============
    /etc> yum update perl
    Setting up Update Process
    Setting up repositories
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
    ---> Downloading header for perl to pack into transaction set.
    perl-5.8.6-24.i386.rpm 100% |=========================| 319 kB
    00:03
    ---> Package perl.i386 3:5.8.6-24 set to be updated
    --> Running transaction check

    Dependencies Resolved

    Package Arch Version Repository
    Size
    Updating:
    perl i386 3:5.8.6-24 updates-
    released 11 M

    Transaction Summary
    Install 0 Package(s)
    Update 1 Package(s)
    Remove 0 Package(s)
    Total download size: 11 M
    Is this ok [y/N]: y
    Downloading Packages:
    (1/1): perl-5.8.6-24.i386 100% |=========================| 11 MB
    00:41
    Running Transaction Test
    Finished Transaction Test
    Transaction Test Succeeded
    Running Transaction
    Updating : perl #########################
    [1/2]
    Cleanup : perl #########################
    [2/2]

    Updated: perl.i386 3:5.8.6-24
    Complete!

    =============== END QUOTE ============

    Now, I ran: /etc> yum info 'perl(NET::Ldap)'
    Setting up repositories

    Then, I ran:
    /etc> yum info 'perl(PDF::Reuse)'
    Setting up repositories

    Does the fact that I received no info from this 'yum info' command
    mean that those packages are NOT installed? or available?

    Thanks,
    Sam

  8. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    On Aug 29, 1:26 pm, "silenceseeker2...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:

    > Then, I ran:
    > /etc> yum info 'perl(PDF::Reuse)'
    > Setting up repositories
    > Reading repository metadata in from local files
    >
    > Does the fact that I received no info from this 'yum info' command
    > mean that those packages are NOT installed? or available?

    Also, I can tell you that I tried using the PDF::Reuse module inside a
    PERL script and apparently the module is not installed:

    ================= START QUOTE ==============
    Can't locate PDF/Reuse.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/
    site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/
    i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i386-linux-
    thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /
    usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/
    perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/
    site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi /
    usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/
    vendor_perl/5.8.4/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/
    5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/
    lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/
    perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/
    perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 .) at ./pdf-
    test.pl line 5.
    ================= END QUOTE ==============

    How do I install this PDF::Reuse module?

    Thanks,
    Sam

  9. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    On Aug 29, 2:04 pm, "silenceseeker2...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:

    > How do I install this PDF::Reuse module?

    OK - I found a tip at the following URL:

    https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/piperma...ch/006196.html

    Then, tried:

    /etc> yum install 'perl(PDF::Reuse)'
    Setting up Install Process
    Setting up repositories
    Parsing package install arguments
    No Match for argument: perl(PDF::Reuse)
    Nothing to do
    /etc>

    Any idea why this didn't work?

    Thanks,
    Sam

  10. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    On Aug 29, 2:42 pm, "silenceseeker2...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:
    > Then, tried:
    >
    > /etc> yum install 'perl(PDF::Reuse)'
    > Setting up Install Process
    > Setting up repositories
    > Reading repository metadata in from local files
    > Parsing package install arguments
    > No Match for argument: perl(PDF::Reuse)
    > Nothing to do
    > /etc>
    >
    > Any idea why this didn't work?

    Well, some more search yielded this:

    http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-do-...a-perl-module/

    So, I tried:

    /etc> perl -MCPAN -e shell

    which started with:

    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/CPAN/Config.pm initialized.

    then, it led through an entire interactive interview just to setup the
    CPAN configuration.

    I will try no to re-run the above yum install 'perl(PDF::Reuse)' and
    see what happens.

  11. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    On Aug 29, 2:59 pm, "silenceseeker2...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:

    > /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/CPAN/Config.pm initialized.
    >
    > then, it led through an entire interactive interview just to setup the
    > CPAN configuration.
    >
    > I will try now to re-run the above yum install 'perl(PDF::Reuse)' and
    > see what happens.

    Same thing happened. :-(

    /etc> yum install 'perl(PDF::Reuse)'
    Setting up Install Process
    Setting up repositories
    Parsing package install arguments
    No Match for argument: perl(PDF::Reuse)
    Nothing to do
    /etc>

    Will continue to research - unless the ultimate tip chimes in... :-)

  12. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    On Aug 29, 3:02 pm, "silenceseeker2...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:

    > Will continue to research - unless the ultimate tip chimes in... :-)

    OMG - did I hit a wall? It seems that I wasn't the first one to
    encounter this challenge... Here is a thread from 3 years ago:

    http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L...5-11/1263.html

    Do I understand correctly that my only resort is to use CPAN?
    directly?

  13. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    On Aug 29, 3:21 pm, "silenceseeker2...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:

    > > Will continue to research - unless the ultimate tip chimes in... :-)

    Too late now. I gave up and installed PDF::Reuse directly from CPAN. I
    always knew that one must be a genious to install, configure and
    maintain a Linux box. I am proud to be one. :-]

    For the sake of future inquireres, all what I did (after configuring
    CPAN as described above) was enter the CPAN shell and install that
    module. Everything else (including dependencies) was done
    automagically by CPAN:

    /etc> perl -MCPAN -e shell
    Terminal does not support AddHistory.

    cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7601)
    ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN')

    cpan> install PDF::Reuse
    CPAN: Storable loaded ok
    CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok
    Fetching with LWP:
    ftp://cpan.llarian.net/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
    Fetching with LWP:
    ftp://cpan.llarian.net/pub/CPAN/modu...details.txt.gz
    Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
    Database was generated on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:02:53 GMT

    There's a new CPAN.pm version (v1.9205) available!
    [Current version is v1.7601]
    You might want to try
    install Bundle::CPAN
    reload cpan
    without quitting the current session. It should be a seamless
    upgrade
    while we are running...

    Fetching with LWP:
    ftp://cpan.llarian.net/pub/CPAN/modu...odlist.data.gz
    Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
    Going to write /root/.cpan/Metadata
    Running install for module PDF::Reuse
    Running make for L/LA/LARSLUND/PDF-Reuse-0.35.tar.gz
    Fetching with LWP:
    ftp://cpan.llarian.net/pub/CPAN/auth...se-0.35.tar.gz
    CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
    Fetching with LWP:
    ftp://cpan.llarian.net/pub/CPAN/auth...LUND/CHECKSUMS
    Checksum for /root/.cpan/sources/authors/id/L/LA/LARSLUND/PDF-
    Reuse-0.35.tar.gz ok
    Scanning cache /root/.cpan/build for sizes
    PDF-Reuse-0.35/
    PDF-Reuse-0.35/Changes
    PDF-Reuse-0.35/Makefile.PL
    PDF-Reuse-0.35/MANIFEST
    (endless list of files, modules and operatios)

    CPAN.pm: Going to build M/MH/MHOSKEN/Font-TTF-0.45.tar.gz

    Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good
    Type 'svnversion --help' for usage.
    Writing Makefile for Font::TTF
    Manifying blib/man3/Font::TTF::Mort::Subtable.3pm
    /usr/bin/make -- OK
    Running make test
    PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
    "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
    t/
    tags.......ok
    t/
    ttfcopy....ok
    All tests successful.
    Files=2, Tests=5, 2 wallclock secs ( 1.78 cusr + 0.24 csys = 2.02
    CPU)
    /usr/bin/make test -- OK
    Running make install
    Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/ttfmod.pl
    Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Font/TTF.pm
    Installing /usr/share/man/man3/Font::TTF::Kern::CompactClassArray.3pm
    Writing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/
    Font/TTF/.packlist
    Appending installation info to /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-
    multi/perllocal.pod
    /usr/bin/make install -- OK
    Running make for L/LA/LARSLUND/PDF-Reuse-0.35.tar.gz
    Is already unwrapped into directory /root/.cpan/build/PDF-Reuse-0.35

    CPAN.pm: Going to build L/LA/LARSLUND/PDF-Reuse-0.35.tar.gz

    cp Reuse.pm blib/lib/PDF/Reuse.pm
    AutoSplitting blib/lib/PDF/Reuse.pm (blib/lib/auto/PDF/Reuse)
    cp Reuse/Util.pm blib/lib/PDF/Reuse/Util.pm
    Manifying blib/man3/PDF::Reuse.3pm
    /usr/bin/make -- OK
    Running make test
    PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-Iblib/lib" "-Iblib/arch" test.pl
    1..8
    # Running under perl version 5.008006 for linux
    # Current time local: Fri Aug 29 14:57:16 2008
    # Current time GMT: Fri Aug 29 18:57:16 2008
    # Using Test.pm version 1.25
    ok 1
    ok 2
    ok 3
    ok 4
    ok 5
    ok 6

    If you have ok for everything this far, PDF::Reuse can be used
    Will test the optional requirements for True Type Fonts and UTF8
    characters

    ok 7
    ok 8
    /usr/bin/make test -- OK
    Running make install
    Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/auto/PDF/Reuse/quickxform.al
    Installing /usr/share/man/man3/PDF::Reuse.3pm
    Writing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/
    PDF/Reuse/.packlist
    Appending installation info to /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-
    multi/perllocal.pod
    /usr/bin/make install -- OK

    cpan>

    That's it. It works. :-)

  14. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

> [...]

    > 00:41
    > Running Transaction Test
    > Finished Transaction Test
    > Transaction Test Succeeded
    > Running Transaction
    > Updating : perl #########################
    > [1/2]
    > Cleanup : perl #########################
    > [2/2]
    >
    > Updated: perl.i386 3:5.8.6-24
    > Complete!
    >
    > =============== END QUOTE ============
    >
    > Now, I ran: /etc> yum info 'perl(NET::Ldap)'
    > Setting up repositories
    > Reading repository metadata in from local files
    >
    > Then, I ran:
    > /etc> yum info 'perl(PDF::Reuse)'
    > Setting up repositories
    > Reading repository metadata in from local files
    >
    > Does the fact that I received no info from this 'yum info' command
    > mean that those packages are NOT installed? or available?

    Well, I made up 'NET:::dap', just to use as an example. Sorry if that was
    confusing. I see your point about PDF::Reuse, which doesn't seem to be listed
    at rpm.pbone.net, either.

    Can you install 'cpan2rpm' from the EPEL repository, and use it to build
    yourself an RPM from the CPAN tarball? And frankly, just from glancing it, I'd
    be concerned about that PDF::Reuse module. The text format of the files is
    DOS, not UNIX, and that's non-standard for Perl modules.

  15. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    Dude, for a 'silenceseeker', you've been yowling a *lot*. Slow down and give
    people a chance to respond.

    silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Aug 29, 2:59 pm, "silenceseeker2...@yahoo.com"
    > wrote:
    >> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/CPAN/Config.pm initialized.
    >>
    >> then, it led through an entire interactive interview just to setup the
    >> CPAN configuration.
    >>
    >> I will try now to re-run the above yum install 'perl(PDF::Reuse)' and
    >> see what happens.
    >>

    > Same thing happened. :-(
    >
    > /etc> yum install 'perl(PDF::Reuse)'
    > Setting up Install Process
    > Setting up repositories
    > Reading repository metadata in from local files
    > Parsing package install arguments
    > No Match for argument: perl(PDF::Reuse)
    > Nothing to do
    > /etc>
    >
    > Will continue to research - unless the ultimate tip chimes in... :-)

    There is no RPM for that module published, in any repository that your system
    knows about. In fact, I can't find one anywhere. So either you get to write
    one up and send a note to RPMforge, or maybe I can as a sweetheart. But I have
    to say, I already dislike the module due to its being in the wrong text format.

    There are *BIG* problems with your following step of simply installing from
    CPAN. It's not reported to your RPM dependency system, so RPM's can overwrite
    it. And whether it wound up in 'site_perl' or 'vendor_perl' affects whether
    later installs, via RPM will be found first or second and can seriously screw
    up dependencies.

    That said, you can get 'cpan2rpm' from the EPEL repository at
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/, and install access to it for yum by
    installing the epel-release package. You can get similar access for thousands
    of other modules at RPMforge, by installing the rpmforge-release package as
    well. Once you've got cpan2rpm, you can use it to build an RPM and send the
    ..spec file to either repository and try to get it included there, so others
    will have yum work correctly.

  16. Re: How do I add a PERL module to an FC4 box?

    On Aug 29, 6:38 pm, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > There is no RPM for that module published, in any repository that your system
    > knows about. In fact, I can't find one anywhere. So either you get to write
    > one up and send a note to RPMforge, or maybe I can as a sweetheart. But I have
    > to say, I already dislike the module due to its being in the wrong text format.
    >
    > There are *BIG* problems with your following step of simply installing from
    > CPAN. It's not reported to your RPM dependency system, so RPM's can overwrite
    > it. And whether it wound up in 'site_perl' or 'vendor_perl' affects whether
    > later installs, via RPM will be found first or second and can seriously screw
    > up dependencies.
    >
    > That said, you can get 'cpan2rpm' from the EPEL repository at
    > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/, and install access to it for yum by
    > installing the epel-release package. You can get similar access for thousands
    > of other modules at RPMforge, by installing the rpmforge-release package as
    > well. Once you've got cpan2rpm, you can use it to build an RPM and send the
    > .spec file to either repository and try to get it included there, so others
    > will have yum work correctly.

    Nico, the information you provided here is great. I wish I had it when
    I was in a rush to solve my problem, before I used CPAN to install the
    desired module.

    Then again, the CPAN method proves to be working and if I ever need to
    run 'yum' again, I will use the information you provided here. For
    now, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it..." :-)

    Thanks,
    Sam

+ Reply to Thread