Installing Firefox3 for Linux on Pentium processor - Setup

This is a discussion on Installing Firefox3 for Linux on Pentium processor - Setup ; Apologies if this is OT.... I am no Linux Geek but somehow sometime back I was able to install Firefox 2.0.0.4 on my RH 9 System. I have now downloaded Firefox 3.0.1 but upon launching I am getting the following ...

  1. Installing Firefox3 for Linux on Pentium processor

    Apologies if this is OT....

    I am no Linux Geek but somehow sometime back I was able to install
    Firefox 2.0.0.4 on my RH 9 System. I have now downloaded Firefox
    3.0.1 but upon launching I am getting the following error:

    error while loading shared libraries: libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: cannot

    I guess this is only the beginning of my nightmare. I would
    appreciate if someone could suggest a way out for someone who is not a
    newbie, but not a pro either. Has anyone created a fully contained
    tarball for FF3 for Linux for the Pentium processor? That would
    certainly help.

    I also tried building the source code but I got lots of errors there
    as well.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Regards,
    Nimmi

  2. Re: Installing Firefox3 for Linux on Pentium processor

    On 26 Aug, 06:28, Nimmi Srivastav wrote:
    > Apologies if this is OT....
    >
    > I am no Linux Geek but somehow sometime back I was able to install
    > Firefox 2.0.0.4 on my RH 9 System. *I have now downloaded Firefox
    > 3.0.1 but upon launching I am getting the following error:
    >
    > error while loading shared libraries: libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: cannot
    >
    > I guess this is only the beginning of my nightmare. *I would
    > appreciate if someone could suggest a way out for someone who is not a
    > newbie, but not a pro either. *Has anyone created a fully contained
    > tarball for FF3 for Linux for the Pentium processor? *That would
    > certainly help.
    >
    > I also tried building the source code but I got lots of errors there
    > as well.
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nimmi

    Distro?
    Could this work in Ubuntu?:
    sudo apt-get install libpango1.0-0

  3. Re: Installing Firefox3 for Linux on Pentium processor

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Nimmi Srivastav wrote:
    >> Apologies if this is OT....
    >> I am no Linux Geek but somehow sometime back I was able to install
    >> Firefox 2.0.0.4 on my RH 9 System. I have now downloaded Firefox
    >> 3.0.1 but upon launching I am getting the following error:
    >> error while loading shared libraries: libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: cannot
    >> open shared object file: No such file or directory
    >> I guess this is only the beginning of my nightmare. I would
    >> appreciate if someone could suggest a way out for someone who is not a
    >> newbie, but not a pro either. Has anyone created a fully contained
    >> tarball for FF3 for Linux for the Pentium processor? That would
    >> certainly help.
    >> I also tried building the source code but I got lots of errors there
    >> as well.
    >> Any help will be appreciated.

    > The Firefox from Mozilla does not work with Redhat these days. Go root and do
    >
    > yum install firefox*
    >
    > to get the version that does work with Redhat.

    I do not believe yum even came with Red Hat Linux 9. It was obsolete before
    2004, and I do not believe (though I could be wrong) that Red Hat supported
    yum as soon as that.

    ^^-^^ 21:45:01 up 21 days, 3:51, 3 users, load average: 4.44, 4.17, 4.05

  4. Re: Installing Firefox3 for Linux on Pentium processor

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > Matt Giwer wrote:
    >> Nimmi Srivastav wrote:
    >>> Apologies if this is OT....
    >>> I am no Linux Geek but somehow sometime back I was able to install
    >>> Firefox 2.0.0.4 on my RH 9 System. I have now downloaded Firefox
    >>> 3.0.1 but upon launching I am getting the following error:
    >>> error while loading shared libraries: libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: cannot
    >>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
    >>> I guess this is only the beginning of my nightmare. I would
    >>> appreciate if someone could suggest a way out for someone who is not a
    >>> newbie, but not a pro either. Has anyone created a fully contained
    >>> tarball for FF3 for Linux for the Pentium processor? That would
    >>> certainly help.
    >>> I also tried building the source code but I got lots of errors there
    >>> as well.
    >>> Any help will be appreciated.

    >> The Firefox from Mozilla does not work with Redhat these days. Go root and do
    >> yum install firefox*
    >> to get the version that does work with Redhat.

    > I do not believe yum even came with Red Hat Linux 9. It was obsolete before
    > 2004, and I do not believe (though I could be wrong) that Red Hat supported
    > yum as soon as that.

    That 9, not Fedora 9. You are correct. So upgrade. There is no value in the
    old RH 9 and it gave a lot of people, including myself, installation problems
    that I for one never managed to get around.

    --
    He poureth me out as milk. He curdleth me as cheese.
    Yeah though I walk through the Valley of the Cheesemakers

  5. Re: Installing Firefox3 for Linux on Pentium processor

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > Matt Giwer wrote:
    >> Nimmi Srivastav wrote:
    >>> Apologies if this is OT....
    >>> I am no Linux Geek but somehow sometime back I was able to install
    >>> Firefox 2.0.0.4 on my RH 9 System. I have now downloaded Firefox
    >>> 3.0.1 but upon launching I am getting the following error:
    >>> error while loading shared libraries: libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: cannot
    >>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
    >>> I guess this is only the beginning of my nightmare. I would
    >>> appreciate if someone could suggest a way out for someone who is not a
    >>> newbie, but not a pro either. Has anyone created a fully contained
    >>> tarball for FF3 for Linux for the Pentium processor? That would
    >>> certainly help.
    >>> I also tried building the source code but I got lots of errors there
    >>> as well.
    >>> Any help will be appreciated.

    >> The Firefox from Mozilla does not work with Redhat these days. Go root and do
    >>
    >> yum install firefox*
    >>
    >> to get the version that does work with Redhat.
    >>

    > I do not believe yum even came with Red Hat Linux 9. It was obsolete before
    > 2004, and I do not believe (though I could be wrong) that Red Hat supported
    > yum as soon as that.

    It's included in the 'fedoralegacy' components, which are probably the best
    set of tools to use for RedHat 9 if you have to use it. Of course,
    Fedoralegacy is now *DEAD*, *DEAD*, and did I mention *DEAD*, so you may have
    some difficulty finding an alive old mirror for it.

  6. Re: Installing Firefox3 for Linux on Pentium processor

    gregg wrote:
    > Emil wrote:
    >> On 26 Aug, 06:28, Nimmi Srivastav wrote:
    >>> Apologies if this is OT....
    >>>
    >>> I am no Linux Geek but somehow sometime back I was able to install
    >>> Firefox 2.0.0.4 on my RH 9 System. I have now downloaded Firefox
    >>> 3.0.1 but upon launching I am getting the following error:
    >>>
    >>> error while loading shared libraries: libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: cannot
    >>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
    >>>
    >>> I guess this is only the beginning of my nightmare. I would
    >>> appreciate if someone could suggest a way out for someone who is not a
    >>> newbie, but not a pro either. Has anyone created a fully contained
    >>> tarball for FF3 for Linux for the Pentium processor? That would
    >>> certainly help.
    >>>
    >>> I also tried building the source code but I got lots of errors there
    >>> as well.
    >>>
    >>> Any help will be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Nimmi

    >> Distro?
    >> Could this work in Ubuntu?:
    >> sudo apt-get install libpango1.0-0

    > Yes, but why? Most likely it is already installed as part of another
    > package. I have it, but honestly don't know why. (Ubuntu 8.04)

    On my RHEL5 machine, it is in:

    rpm -qf /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1400.9
    pango-1.14.9-3.el5 <---<<<

    ^^-^^ 07:40:01 up 22 days, 13:46, 4 users, load average: 4.29, 4.28, 4.25

+ Reply to Thread