Mandriva 2008 - Setup

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2008 - Setup ; I have a Thinkpad R51 which has a built-in Atheros wireless card (AR5212). Mandriva was able to detect and connect without problems, but I keep getting pop-up messages that "the network is down on ath0" (every 2-3 minutes) and it ...

  1. Mandriva 2008

    I have a Thinkpad R51 which has a built-in Atheros wireless card
    (AR5212). Mandriva was able to detect and connect without problems,
    but I keep getting pop-up messages that "the network is down on
    ath0" (every 2-3 minutes) and it comes back again. The router is fine
    since the other machines don't drop the connection, just the Linux
    laptop does.

    2nd issue, downloaded and installed Firefox 3.0, but when I execute it
    from the bin file, it starts the old versoin of Firefox (2.0.0.16) -
    what am I missing ?

    I know the basic commands like ls, cp, but that's the extent of my
    knowledge. If anyone can provide

    1 - Cure for my wireless issue.
    2 - Step by step instructions on how to fix the firefox thing ?

    Thanks,
    Raj.

  2. Re: Mandriva 2008

    "Raj." writes:

    >I have a Thinkpad R51 which has a built-in Atheros wireless card
    >(AR5212). Mandriva was able to detect and connect without problems,
    >but I keep getting pop-up messages that "the network is down on
    >ath0" (every 2-3 minutes) and it comes back again. The router is fine
    >since the other machines don't drop the connection, just the Linux
    >laptop does.

    No idea. Look in the various log files ( dmesg, /var/log/messages,
    /var/log/syslog) for hints.

    >2nd issue, downloaded and installed Firefox 3.0, but when I execute it
    >from the bin file, it starts the old versoin of Firefox (2.0.0.16) -
    >what am I missing ?

    I guess you are not running the new version. HOw did you instal the new
    version? Did you remove the old version?

    >I know the basic commands like ls, cp, but that's the extent of my
    >knowledge. If anyone can provide

    >1 - Cure for my wireless issue.
    >2 - Step by step instructions on how to fix the firefox thing ?

    First tell us what you did.

    >Thanks,
    >Raj.

  3. Re: Mandriva 2008

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 19:15:15 -0700 (PDT), Raj. wrote:

    You may want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    You gave no details (where, what commands) about what you did and what
    command you are doing.

    Good summary though.

    > 2nd issue, downloaded

    Exactly file/package was downloaded, from where?

    > and installed Firefox 3.0,

    Installed where?

    > but when I execute it from the bin file,

    What bin file?
    We need to see the command you ran.

    > it starts the old versoin of Firefox (2.0.0.16) -
    > what am I missing ?

    Until we know how you did what and what you are doing, not much chance
    of that.

    > Step by step instructions on how to fix the firefox thing ?

    I like to have both the Distribution installation and the latest
    security fix on my machine.

    That way if there is an update to the Distribution's copy, it does not
    overwrite my installation. Also kinda nice to have both just in case
    downloaded copy does not run, I still have the old version to use
    until I can get the new one tested.

    Something to think about can be found here, in the Mandriva Usenet group.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...1709641eebd850

    You may want to consider posting Mandriva questions in the
    alt.os.linux.mandriva group.

  4. Re: Mandriva 2008

    Raj. schrieb:
    > I have a Thinkpad R51 which has a built-in Atheros wireless card
    > (AR5212). Mandriva was able to detect and connect without problems,
    > but I keep getting pop-up messages that "the network is down on
    > ath0" (every 2-3 minutes) and it comes back again. The router is fine
    > since the other machines don't drop the connection, just the Linux
    > laptop does.

    I encountered similar problems with a different (Ralink) card, that
    works fine under Windows. In addition to a very poor data rate,
    disconnects and so on, my system tended to crash every now and then. It
    seems to be a driver problem, at least all the problems disappeared
    after I disabled the wireless device and connected my router by wire.

    DoDi

+ Reply to Thread