(win)grub - Setup

This is a discussion on (win)grub - Setup ; (sorry if this is offtopic) I'm having trouble with wingrub. The problem is that it won't load menu.lst Here is setup: SATA drive= NTFS Windows on C: IDE drive= Solaris with its grub on MBR the problem might be caused ...

  1. (win)grub

    (sorry if this is offtopic)

    I'm having trouble with wingrub. The problem is that it won't load
    menu.lst
    Here is setup:

    SATA drive= NTFS Windows on C:
    IDE drive= Solaris with its grub on MBR

    the problem might be caused by strange thing that after loading
    windows, SATA drive becomes (hd1,0)
    but in grub its (hd0,0)
    so grub is trying to load menu.lst from solaris, but I cannot change
    that in windows.. if I try:
    grubinstall -d (hd0,0) -1 c:/boot/stage1 -2 c:/boot/stage2 -m c:/boot/
    menu.lst
    it says that hd0 is not NTFS or FAT (because its Solaris)

    please help me solve this..

  2. Re: (win)grub

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 06:51:52 -0700, orange wrote:

    > (sorry if this is offtopic)
    >
    > I'm having trouble with wingrub. The problem is that it won't load
    > menu.lst
    > Here is setup:
    >
    > SATA drive= NTFS Windows on C:
    > IDE drive= Solaris with its grub on MBR
    >
    > the problem might be caused by strange thing that after loading
    > windows, SATA drive becomes (hd1,0)
    > but in grub its (hd0,0)
    > so grub is trying to load menu.lst from solaris, but I cannot change
    > that in windows.. if I try:
    > grubinstall -d (hd0,0) -1 c:/boot/stage1 -2 c:/boot/stage2 -m c:/boot/
    > menu.lst
    > it says that hd0 is not NTFS or FAT (because its Solaris)
    >
    > please help me solve this..

    Have you ever been able to boot Windows from the SATA drive?

    Which version of Windows?

    A lot of Windows versions are picky about BIOS settings. The latest
    version of the Linux kernel correctly identifies a lot of common
    chipsets and will use AHCI and native chipset mode (if enabled in the
    BIOS). However, Windows will not. AHCI has to be off for XP/W2k. Native
    mode has to be disabled also. YMMV.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: (win)grub

    On Aug 18, 6:43*pm, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 06:51:52 -0700, orange wrote:
    > > (sorry if this is offtopic)

    > > I'm having trouble with wingrub. The problem is that it won't load
    > > menu.lst
    > > Here is setup:

    > > SATA drive= NTFS Windows on C:
    > > IDE drive= *Solaris with its grub on MBR

    > > the problem might be caused by strange thing that after loading
    > > windows, SATA drive becomes (hd1,0)
    > > but in grub its (hd0,0)
    > > so grub is trying to load menu.lst from solaris, but I cannot change
    > > that in windows.. if I try:
    > > grubinstall -d (hd0,0) -1 c:/boot/stage1 -2 c:/boot/stage2 -m c:/boot/
    > > menu.lst
    > > it says that hd0 is not NTFS or FAT (because its Solaris)

    > > please help me solve this..

    > Have you ever been able to boot Windows from the SATA drive?
    >
    > Which version of Windows?
    >
    > A lot of Windows versions are picky about BIOS settings. The latest
    > version of the Linux kernel correctly identifies a lot of common
    > chipsets and will use AHCI and native chipset mode (if enabled in the
    > BIOS). However, Windows will not. AHCI has to be off for XP/W2k. Native
    > mode has to be disabled also. YMMV.
    >
    > --
    > Douglas Mayne

    yes, booting windows (XP) is not a problem. I decided to use wingrub
    so that MBR would stay intact.
    but booting Solaris is a problem. I did, however, manage to boot into
    it by typing commands in grub console.
    the Windows (SATA) HDD is set as primary in bios.

    here is how it should look:

    NTLDR MBR on SATA: xp|wingrub
    wingrub: chainload Solaris grub

    so, the problematic wingrubs menu.lst should contain only one entry
    (for now) and that is "chainload
    Solaris"

+ Reply to Thread