How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection? - Setup

This is a discussion on How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection? - Setup ; New to the Linux stuff, but...... How do you go about installing video codecs without an internet connection? I'm trying to get the xvid and some audio codecs so I can use the linux maching to watch movies and such ...

  1. How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection?

    New to the Linux stuff, but......

    How do you go about installing video codecs without an internet connection?
    I'm trying to get the xvid and some audio codecs so I can use the linux
    maching to watch movies and such on. All I seem to get is "no connection to
    the internet available" or some such error. Tried setting the cdrom drive
    as the place to get the software from, but all I get is more errors about
    dependencies. Kinda frustrating.....

    Also tried to get VLC, but their web page does a wonderful job of explaining
    how to intall it thru the web only; No place to dl the package to install
    it without internet access.

    Anyway, sorry to rammble, but the frustration is getting to me.

    ANY ideas would be appreciated, or a pointer to somewhere I can dl the
    complete packages and burn to a cd and then install.

    --
    mov ax,04c01h
    int 21h

  2. Re: How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection?

    PlasticSpectre@here.org wrote:
    > New to the Linux stuff, but......
    >
    > How do you go about installing video codecs without an internet connection?
    > I'm trying to get the xvid and some audio codecs so I can use the linux
    > maching to watch movies and such on. All I seem to get is "no connection to
    > the internet available" or some such error. Tried setting the cdrom drive
    > as the place to get the software from, but all I get is more errors about
    > dependencies. Kinda frustrating.....
    >
    > Also tried to get VLC, but their web page does a wonderful job of explaining
    > how to intall it thru the web only; No place to dl the package to install
    > it without internet access.
    >
    > Anyway, sorry to rammble, but the frustration is getting to me.
    >
    > ANY ideas would be appreciated, or a pointer to somewhere I can dl the
    > complete packages and burn to a cd and then install.

    Depends on your distribution. For example, in environments where most machines
    have no external connection but I want up-to-date package lists available
    internally, I create a local mirror on a designated host, and point everything
    to that.

  3. Re: How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection?

    Guess I should have said what version. I'm using 8.04. The linux system
    has no connection to any thing. I've spent hours trying to find somewhere
    to download the packages from. I'm thinking that I may just break down and
    buy a WiFi card and put it in and start over.

    Anyway, thank you for replying

    --
    mov ax,04101h
    int 21h

  4. Re: How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internetconnection?

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 04:13:29 +0000, PlasticSpectre wrote:

    > New to the Linux stuff, but......
    >
    > How do you go about installing video codecs without an internet
    > connection? I'm trying to get the xvid and some audio codecs so I can
    > use the linux maching to watch movies and such on. All I seem to get is
    > "no connection to the internet available" or some such error. Tried
    > setting the cdrom drive as the place to get the software from, but all I
    > get is more errors about dependencies. Kinda frustrating.....
    >
    > Also tried to get VLC, but their web page does a wonderful job of
    > explaining how to intall it thru the web only; No place to dl the
    > package to install it without internet access.
    >
    > Anyway, sorry to rammble, but the frustration is getting to me.
    >
    > ANY ideas would be appreciated, or a pointer to somewhere I can dl the
    > complete packages and burn to a cd and then install.

    You'll have to download the Ubuntu 8.04 DVD ISO and burn that to DVD.
    Then, just hit System> Administration> Software Sources and select CD/DVD
    as one of the sources. Your add/remove will then check your DVD for
    the packages and install from there. Links to download the ISO can be
    found on the Ubuntu website.

  5. Re: How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection?

    * wrote in comp.os.linux.setup:

    > Guess I should have said what version. I'm using 8.04. The linux
    > system has no connection to any thing. I've spent hours trying to
    > find somewhere to download the packages from. I'm thinking that I may
    > just break down and buy a WiFi card and put it in and start over.
    >
    > Anyway, thank you for replying

    You should not have to download them form a website, the synaptic package
    manger should do it all for you.

    Can you even get to google or some other known site or do you have no
    internet/network connectivity at all?

    --
    David

  6. Re: How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection?

    I have internet on my Windows box, but not on the Linux one. I was looking
    for the packages and burning them to cd for the other computer.
    I've been doing a lot of looking around on the web about this too, but so
    far not much joy.

    And hey, thanks to all that have offered help

    --
    mov ax,04101h
    int 21h

  7. Re: How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection?

    PlasticSpectre@here.org wrote:
    > I have internet on my Windows box, but not on the Linux one. I was looking
    > for the packages and burning them to cd for the other computer.
    > I've been doing a lot of looking around on the web about this too, but so
    > far not much joy.
    >
    > And hey, thanks to all that have offered help

    why not network them and use the Windows as a router?

  8. Re: How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection?

    PlasticSpectre@here.org wrote:
    > I have internet on my Windows box, but not on the Linux one. I was looking
    > for the packages and burning them to cd for the other computer.
    > I've been doing a lot of looking around on the web about this too, but so
    > far not much joy.

    Well, if you can't do what someone else suggested (which is connect the box
    up to the internet via the windows box) why don't you just unplug the
    windows box from the internet and plug the linux box in just for the
    install?

    The way to install packages you've downloaded is to bypass the apt-get
    systen and go into dpkg directly (apt-get calls dpkg after doing all the
    dependency checking stuff to do the install)

    dpkg -i filename
    should attempt to install the files you've downloaded, but chances are,
    you'll've missed some of the dependencies that apt-get wouldn't've.

    You're better off connecting the linux box up to the internet just to allow
    apt-get (or synaptic) to work its magic.
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  9. Re: How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection?

    The linux box has no wireless network card and the windows box has no wired
    network card. I live in the downstairs of a house and the routers are all
    upstairs with my wireless router plugged in to the router which is plugged
    into the cable modem....

    --
    mov ax,04101h
    int 21h

  10. Re: How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection?

    Thank you! I haven't tried the dpkg thing yet but I will tonight. The
    linux box is a 1g P1 (kinda old) but I'm going to get a wireless card for
    it. they are cheap anyway so why not? Might steal the one from the kids
    computer first to make sure it'll work while he's at school tho.....

    --
    mov ax,04C01h
    int 21h

  11. Re: How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection?

    PlasticSpectre@here.org wrote:
    > The linux box has no wireless network card and the windows box has no wired
    > network card. I live in the downstairs of a house and the routers are all
    > upstairs with my wireless router plugged in to the router which is plugged
    > into the cable modem....

    time to get some hardware then.

    :-)

  12. Re: How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection?

    PlasticSpectre@here.org wrote:
    > I have internet on my Windows box, but not on the Linux one. I was looking
    > for the packages and burning them to cd for the other computer.
    > I've been doing a lot of looking around on the web about this too, but so
    > far not much joy.
    >
    > And hey, thanks to all that have offered help

    Why burn them to CD? Why not mirror them to your Linux box (if you have a
    distribution that allows unregistered downloads, such as Fedora or Debian),
    and run an update of the morror occasionally as needed? Then share the files
    via an FTP or HTTP server.

    I've done this for clusters of up to 500 machines. It's pretty effective.

  13. Re: How do ya install programs on Ubuntu without a internet connection?

    The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > PlasticSpectre@here.org wrote:
    >> The linux box has no wireless network card and the windows box has no
    >> wired
    >> network card. I live in the downstairs of a house and the routers are
    >> all
    >> upstairs with my wireless router plugged in to the router which is
    >> plugged
    >> into the cable modem....
    >>

    > time to get some hardware then.
    >
    > :-)

    USB wireless network devices are pretty cheap.

+ Reply to Thread