Dual boot, WIN2K won't boot. - Setup

This is a discussion on Dual boot, WIN2K won't boot. - Setup ; I have FC8 and win2k working happily together for a long time. But a few weeks back, I had some problem with grub and greeter application and since then my win2k is not booting up at all. When I select ...

  1. Dual boot, WIN2K won't boot.

    I have FC8 and win2k working happily together for a long time. But a
    few weeks back, I had some problem with grub and greeter application
    and since then my win2k is not booting up at all. When I select Win2k
    from grub options it hangs saying WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is
    corrupt etc. Thought I will boot it up with WIN2K CD and repair. Bur
    it would not let me. After booting from CD it will hang saying
    'Checking system hardware ...'.

    Then I tried booting with a XP CD. Same thing. Everything hangs at
    'Checking system hardware ...'. I have waited overnight to see it it
    was really doing anything. But No it was hung. I have googled a lot
    and tried many things, but none have worked.

    I am checking if any of the Linux experts have a solution which can
    fix my Windows. I can see and access all my Win2k files thro' my FC8.

    Thanks a lot, NS.

  2. Re: Dual boot, WIN2K won't boot.

    "sridhar" wrote in message
    > I have FC8 and win2k working happily together for a long time. But a
    > few weeks back, I had some problem with grub and greeter application
    > and since then my win2k is not booting up at all. When I select Win2k
    > from grub options it hangs saying WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is
    > corrupt etc. Thought I will boot it up with WIN2K CD and repair. Bur
    > it would not let me. After booting from CD it will hang saying
    > 'Checking system hardware ...'.
    >
    > Then I tried booting with a XP CD. Same thing. Everything hangs at
    > 'Checking system hardware ...'. I have waited overnight to see it it
    > was really doing anything. But No it was hung. I have googled a lot
    > and tried many things, but none have worked.
    >
    > I am checking if any of the Linux experts have a solution which can
    > fix my Windows. I can see and access all my Win2k files thro' my FC8.
    >
    > Thanks a lot, NS.

    I'd start out by running the HD mfg's diagnostic.

    Also a good RAM test

  3. Re: Dual boot, WIN2K won't boot.

    On Aug 10, 1:46 pm, "philo" wrote:
    > "sridhar" wrote in message

    > > I have FC8 and win2k working happily together for a long time. But a
    > > few weeks back, I had some problem with grub and greeter application
    > > and since then my win2k is not booting up at all. When I select Win2k
    > > from grub options it hangs saying WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is
    > > corrupt etc. Thought I will boot it up with WIN2K CD and repair. Bur
    > > it would not let me. After booting from CD it will hang saying
    > > 'Checking system hardware ...'.

    > > Then I tried booting with a XP CD. Same thing. Everything hangs at
    > > 'Checking system hardware ...'. I have waited overnight to see it it
    > > was really doing anything. But No it was hung. I have googled a lot
    > > and tried many things, but none have worked.

    > > I am checking if any of the Linux experts have a solution which can
    > > fix my Windows. I can see and access all my Win2k files thro' my FC8.

    > > Thanks a lot, NS.

    > I'd start out by running the HD mfg's diagnostic.
    >
    > Also a good RAM test

    But my FC8 is running fine on the same HDD.

  4. Re: Dual boot, WIN2K won't boot.

    "sridhar" wrote in message
    > On Aug 10, 1:46 pm, "philo" wrote:
    > > "sridhar" wrote in message

    > > > I have FC8 and win2k working happily together for a long time. But a
    > > > few weeks back, I had some problem with grub and greeter application
    > > > and since then my win2k is not booting up at all. When I select Win2k
    > > > from grub options it hangs saying WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is
    > > > corrupt etc. Thought I will boot it up with WIN2K CD and repair. Bur
    > > > it would not let me. After booting from CD it will hang saying
    > > > 'Checking system hardware ...'.

    > > > Then I tried booting with a XP CD. Same thing. Everything hangs at
    > > > 'Checking system hardware ...'. I have waited overnight to see it it
    > > > was really doing anything. But No it was hung. I have googled a lot
    > > > and tried many things, but none have worked.

    > > > I am checking if any of the Linux experts have a solution which can
    > > > fix my Windows. I can see and access all my Win2k files thro' my FC8.

    > > > Thanks a lot, NS.

    > > I'd start out by running the HD mfg's diagnostic.
    > >
    > > Also a good RAM test

    > But my FC8 is running fine on the same HDD.

    But still not a bad precaution.

    I generally find win2k corrupted registries are cause by RAM or HD problems

    before you do a lot of trouble-shooting it's good to confirm that your
    hardware is OK

+ Reply to Thread