SPARC distro - Setup

This is a discussion on SPARC distro - Setup ; I just picked up an older Sun workstation running Solaris 8 Just wondering if anyone could recommend a minimal SPARC distribution of Linux... Something like the 50 meg Damn Small Linux version. I don't really need to download an entire ...

  1. SPARC distro

    I just picked up an older Sun workstation running Solaris 8

    Just wondering if anyone could recommend a minimal

    SPARC distribution of Linux...

    Something like the 50 meg Damn Small Linux version.

    I don't really need to download an entire 600meg + ISO

    thanks

  2. Re: SPARC distro

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:14:15 -0500, philo wrote:

    > I don't really need to download an entire 600meg + ISO

    Then download one of the Debian netinstall media.

    http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

  3. Re: SPARC distro

    "Dave Uhring" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.08.04.23.37.17.682956@yahoo.com...
    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:14:15 -0500, philo wrote:
    >
    > > I don't really need to download an entire 600meg + ISO

    > Then download one of the Debian netinstall media.
    >
    > http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

    Thanks

    I am downloading it now...

    May not get around to installing it until tomorrow

  4. Re: SPARC distro

    "philo" wrote in message

    > "Dave Uhring" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.08.04.23.37.17.682956@yahoo.com...
    > > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:14:15 -0500, philo wrote:
    > >
    > > > I don't really need to download an entire 600meg + ISO

    > > Then download one of the Debian netinstall media.
    > >
    > > http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

    > Thanks
    >
    > I am downloading it now...
    >
    > May not get around to installing it until tomorrow

    Well I tried to install it but DHCP failed,
    so I think I need a recommendation for a Linux SPARC distro that will
    at least give me internet connectivity on the first CD.

    If I have to download one 600 meg .iso
    that would be fine...I just did not want to download a whole bunch of CD's

  5. Re: SPARC distro

    On 2008-08-05, philo wrote:

    > Well I tried to install it but DHCP failed,

    That's not very specific. Where precisely did it fail? What messages
    did you see that make you believe it failed?

    > so I think I need a recommendation for a Linux SPARC distro that will
    > at least give me internet connectivity on the first CD.

    This is also quite vague. Do you need just rudimentary networking in
    order to do a full install? If so, do you require DHCP? It might be
    simpler just to assign a static IP (if where you're installing can
    accomodate that) for the install.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  6. Re: SPARC distro

    "Keith Keller" wrote in message
    > On 2008-08-05, philo wrote:
    > >
    > > Well I tried to install it but DHCP failed,

    > That's not very specific. Where precisely did it fail? What messages
    > did you see that make you believe it failed?
    >
    > > so I think I need a recommendation for a Linux SPARC distro that will
    > > at least give me internet connectivity on the first CD.

    > This is also quite vague. Do you need just rudimentary networking in
    > order to do a full install? If so, do you require DHCP? It might be
    > simpler just to assign a static IP (if where you're installing can
    > accomodate that) for the install.
    >
    > --keith

    More info:

    As it turned out the reason DHCP failed was because during H/W detection
    and configuration the network card had not been installed.

    The installer needed to search for setup files
    and I was given the option to search for the needed files on the cdrom.
    I was prompted to mount the cdrom that I had booted from...
    but the mount failed. The error message was that no cd was
    present...although I was of course running
    the installation from the cd !

    At that point I figured I'd be better off not attempting a network install.

  7. Re: SPARC distro

    philo wrote:
    > "philo" wrote in message
    >
    >>"Dave Uhring" wrote in message
    >>newsan.2008.08.04.23.37.17.682956@yahoo.com...

    >>>Then download one of the Debian netinstall media.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>I am downloading it now...
    >>
    >>May not get around to installing it until tomorrow

    > Well I tried to install it but DHCP failed,
    > so I think I need a recommendation for a Linux SPARC distro that will
    > at least give me internet connectivity on the first CD.
    >
    > If I have to download one 600 meg .iso
    > that would be fine...I just did not want to download a whole bunch of CD's

    There seems to be a problem in the Debian Sparc Netinstall
    CD. It refused to identify the SCSI subsystem (ESP) in my
    SparcStation 20 MP. As both the hard disks and the CD are
    in the SCSI bus, this is the end of the road here.

    I succeeded in installing the Debian by using the full network
    boot and install. It needs a functioning Linux computer in the
    same local net with the Sparc. There has to be a RARP server
    and TFTP server in the helper machine.

    HTH

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  8. Re: SPARC distro

    "Tauno Voipio" wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    > > "philo" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>"Dave Uhring" wrote in message
    > >>newsan.2008.08.04.23.37.17.682956@yahoo.com...

    > >>Thanks
    > >>
    > >>I am downloading it now...
    > >>
    > >>May not get around to installing it until tomorrow

    > > Well I tried to install it but DHCP failed,
    > > so I think I need a recommendation for a Linux SPARC distro that will
    > > at least give me internet connectivity on the first CD.
    > >
    > > If I have to download one 600 meg .iso
    > > that would be fine...I just did not want to download a whole bunch of

    CD's

    > There seems to be a problem in the Debian Sparc Netinstall
    > CD. It refused to identify the SCSI subsystem (ESP) in my
    > SparcStation 20 MP. As both the hard disks and the CD are
    > in the SCSI bus, this is the end of the road here.
    >
    > I succeeded in installing the Debian by using the full network
    > boot and install. It needs a functioning Linux computer in the
    > same local net with the Sparc. There has to be a RARP server
    > and TFTP server in the helper machine.
    >
    > HTH

    Thanks for the info
    since I will be unable to perform a net install...
    is there any distro out there that would be on a single cd iso?

+ Reply to Thread