64-bit HP-UX + Suse SLES 10 = 0! - Setup

This is a discussion on 64-bit HP-UX + Suse SLES 10 = 0! - Setup ; Hello all, Can someone tell me if by working with 64-bit HP and SLES 10 from Suse that is more of the "bleeding edge" than the "leading edge"? I tried to install SLES 10 (patch 2) on this HP box. ...

  1. 64-bit HP-UX + Suse SLES 10 = 0!

    Hello all,

    Can someone tell me if by working with 64-bit HP and SLES 10 from Suse
    that is more of the "bleeding edge" than the "leading edge"?

    I tried to install SLES 10 (patch 2) on this HP box. I downloaded
    the .iso files and burned them to CDs. When trying to install the OS,
    I got the following error:

    "Could not find the SLES 10 Installation CD. Activating Manual setup
    program."

    Then I eventually choose "Start Installation or System".

    When it mentions to "Choose the Installation Media", I choosed "CD-
    ROM" and then get the error:

    "Cannot mount CD-ROM"

    I think - well, if this was the case then why were you (the computer)
    able to boot off of the CD ROM? Can someone PLEASE give me some kind
    of idea of where to go from here? I am thinking that it is some kind
    of kernel issue. The advertised stuff for the box is listed below.

    Is it realistic to install SLES 10 on this HP machine? If 64-bit is
    going to give 64 * 10 headaches then I would rather not bother.

    TIA

    Product number
    KQ495AA
    Introduction date
    08-May-2008
    Country/region sold in:
    United States
    Canada
    Hardware
    Base processor
    Pentium E2220 (C) 2.4 GHz (65W)
    800 MHz front side bus
    Socket 775
    Chipset
    NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer: Foxconn
    Motherboard Name: MCP73M01H1
    HP/Compaq motherboard name: Napa-GL8E
    Memory
    Component Attributes
    Memory Installed 4 GB
    Maximum allowed 4 GB* (2 x 2 GB)

    *Actual available memory may be less
    Speed supported PC2-6400 MB/sec
    Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

    Hard drive
    500 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
    7200 rpm
    16X DVD()R/RW 12X RAM ()R DL LightScribe SATA drive
    Must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL
    technology
    Must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in
    order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology
    Function Maximum speed
    DVD-RAM Up to 12X
    DVD-R DL Write Once Up to 8X
    DVD+R DL Write Once Up to 8X
    DVD+R Write Once Up to 16X
    DVD+RW Rewritable Up to 8X
    DVD-R Write Once Up to 16X
    DVD-RW Rewritable Up to 6X
    DVD ROM Read Up to 16X
    CD-R Write Once Up to 40X
    CD-RW Rewritable Up to 32X
    CD-ROM Read Up to 40X

    Modem
    56K bps data/fax modem
    Video Graphics
    Integrated graphics
    Sound/Audio
    High Definition 8-channel audio
    ALC 888S chipset
    Network (LAN)
    Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
    Memory card reader
    Supports the following cards:
    Compact Flash I
    Compact Flash II
    IBM Microdrive
    Secure Digital (SD)
    mini-SD
    MultiMediaCard (MMC)
    Reduced size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC)
    MultiMediaCard Plus (MMC plus)
    MultiMediaCard Mobile (MMC mobile)
    Memory Stick
    Memory Stick Pro
    Memory Stick Duo
    Memory Stick Pro Duo
    SmartMedia
    xD Picture Card (xD = extreme digital)
    External I/O ports
    I/O ports on the front panel
    Port type Quantity
    15-in-1 (4 slot) One
    1394 One
    USB Two
    Headphone One
    Microphone One

    I/O ports on the back panel
    Port type Quantity
    PS2 (keyboard, mouse) Two (one each)
    SPDIF out (coaxial) One
    SPDIF in One
    VGA One
    DVI One
    USB Four
    1394a One
    LAN One
    Audio (side speaker out, rear speaker out, center speaker out, line-
    in, line-out, microphone) One Each

    Expansion slots
    Slot type Quantity
    PCI One (One available)
    PCI Express x16 One (One available)
    PCI Express x1 Two (One available)

    Drive bays
    Bay type Quantity
    5.25" Two (One available)
    3.5" Two (One available)
    Pocket Media Drive One (One available)

    Keyboard and mouse
    HP multimedia keyboard
    Quebec Keyboard Kit (French Canada only)
    HP PS/2 optical mouse
    Software
    NOTE: HP provides basic support for software that comes with the
    computer. For in-depth feature assistance, refer to the help section
    in the software or on the software vendor's Web site.

    Software titles that shipped with PC Software Category Software Title
    Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium with Windows Media Center
    (64-bit) with SP1

    CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD+RW Windows Movie Maker & Windows DVD Maker
    CyberLink DVD Suite 5
    LightScribe Template Labeler

    Entertainment, Music & Games My HP Games (not available in French
    Canada)

    Imaging, Photography, Video & Film Muvee autoProducer Basic

    Productivity Adobe Reader
    Microsoft Works 9
    Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2007 Trial

    Security Norton Internet Security 2008 (60-day security update
    subscription)

    Support HP Total Care Advisor (not available in French Canada)
    HP Hardware Diagnostic Tools
    Help & Support Center
    Online documentation

    Recovery HP Recovery Manager

    Internet Solutions Microsoft Internet Explorer
    Yahoo toolbar
    ISP offers

    HP Partner offers (may vary) Snapfish PictureMover (US only)

  2. Re: 64-bit HP-UX + Suse SLES 10 = 0!

    In comp.os.linux.misc NiteRider wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Can someone tell me if by working with 64-bit HP and SLES 10 from Suse
    > that is more of the "bleeding edge" than the "leading edge"?

    well- in the first place, what does "64-bit HP-UX" have to do with anything?

    Almost guaranteed that SLES 10 will NOT install on any system that
    can run HPUX, and the rest of your note seems to indicate that
    you have a PC, which will most certainly not run HPUX.

    > I tried to install SLES 10 (patch 2) on this HP box. I downloaded
    > the .iso files and burned them to CDs. When trying to install the OS,
    > I got the following error:

    Di you perhaps literally "burn them to CDs"? i.e. if you mount the cd
    do you see an ISO file sitting there?

    If so then that's your problem-- an ISO is an image of the final
    CD. One does not just copy the iso file to a CD but rather burns a CD
    that matches the image of the ISO. If your CD isn't bootable
    then I would suspect that you missed this subtlety.

    regards

    Stan
    --
    Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
    www.worldbadminton.com

  3. Re: 64-bit HP-UX + Suse SLES 10 = 0!

    In comp.os.linux.hardware stan@worldbadminton.com wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.misc NiteRider wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me if by working with 64-bit HP and SLES 10 from Suse
    >> that is more of the "bleeding edge" than the "leading edge"?
    >>

    > well- in the first place, what does "64-bit HP-UX" have to do with anything?
    >
    > Almost guaranteed that SLES 10 will NOT install on any system that
    > can run HPUX, and the rest of your note seems to indicate that
    > you have a PC, which will most certainly not run HPUX.

    HP-UX 11i v2 will run on the 64 bit Intel Itanium processors, sez http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr...3/030519a.html Now in all fairness, that
    press release was from 2003 and I have no idea if it is a reality or not.

    Suse will also run run on Itaniums.

    Is an Itanium based machine a "PC"? Dunno, I find the "PC" term pretty
    wildly used.

    (now I realize that having a common processor is a far from sufficent to
    run a operating system).

    --
    Frank Stutzman

  4. Re: 64-bit HP-UX + Suse SLES 10 = 0!

    In comp.os.linux.misc Frank Stutzman wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.hardware stan@worldbadminton.com wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.misc NiteRider wrote:
    >>> Hello all,
    >>>
    >>> Can someone tell me if by working with 64-bit HP and SLES 10 from Suse
    >>> that is more of the "bleeding edge" than the "leading edge"?
    >>>

    >> well- in the first place, what does "64-bit HP-UX" have to do with anything?
    >>
    >> Almost guaranteed that SLES 10 will NOT install on any system that
    >> can run HPUX, and the rest of your note seems to indicate that
    >> you have a PC, which will most certainly not run HPUX.

    > HP-UX 11i v2 will run on the 64 bit Intel Itanium processors, sez http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr...3/030519a.html Now in all fairness, that
    > press release was from 2003 and I have no idea if it is a reality or not.
    >
    > Suse will also run run on Itaniums.
    >
    > Is an Itanium based machine a "PC"? Dunno, I find the "PC" term pretty
    > wildly used.

    no it isn't a PC. I said "almost" above since the Itanium does exist, but
    only in vanishingly small quantities. besides OP's data shows
    Base processor
    Pentium E2220 (C) 2.4 GHz (65W)

    which is clearly NOT Itanium and has no chance of running HPUX

    Anyhow-- since OP's initial problem is that system won't boot
    from his CD, there's very likely no 64-bit issues involved.

    Stan

    Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
    www.worldbadminton.com

  5. Re: 64-bit HP-UX + Suse SLES 10 = 0!

    stan@worldbadminton.com writes:
    > In comp.os.linux.misc Frank Stutzman wrote:

    >>> well- in the first place, what does "64-bit HP-UX" have to do with anything?
    >>>
    >>> Almost guaranteed that SLES 10 will NOT install on any system that
    >>> can run HPUX, and the rest of your note seems to indicate that
    >>> you have a PC, which will most certainly not run HPUX.

    >> HP-UX 11i v2 will run on the 64 bit Intel Itanium processors, sez http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr...3/030519a.html Now in all fairness, that
    >> press release was from 2003 and I have no idea if it is a reality or not.
    >>
    >> Suse will also run run on Itaniums.

    [...]

    > I said "almost" above since the Itanium does exist, but only in
    > vanishingly small quantities.

    It should be possible to find at least one HPC-system built by SGI
    which contains more than thousand Itanium processors. And 'more than
    thousand' is a large quantity, despite the fact the quotient of this
    number and the number of human fingers belonging to people living in
    China would be very small.

+ Reply to Thread