Could not open font 'fixed' message - Setup

This is a discussion on Could not open font 'fixed' message - Setup ; Hi , I have a server Linux whth RedHat2.4.18 showing the following error during the boot (WW) ATI(0) .Failed to setup write-combining range (0xfd0000000,0x00000000) (WW) ATI(0) .Failed to setup write-combining range (0xfd0000000,0x00000000) Error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0-xkm Couldn't load XKB keymap, ...

  1. Could not open font 'fixed' message

    Hi , I have a server Linux whth RedHat2.4.18 showing the following
    error during the boot

    (WW) ATI(0) .Failed to setup write-combining range
    (0xfd0000000,0x00000000)
    (WW) ATI(0) .Failed to setup write-combining range
    (0xfd0000000,0x00000000)
    Error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0-xkm
    Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
    Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list
    If you encounter a server crash , please report the problem by filling
    a bug report in the XFree86.org bugzilla at http://xfree86.org and/or
    Red Hat bugzilla at http://bugzilla .readhat.com/bugzilla.When filling
    your report , it is very important that you explain your problem in as
    much detail as possible .After submitting the bug report, attach the
    following the following files as uncompressed individual file
    attachments using the bugzilla file attachment feature:
    -X server log file: /var/log/XFree86.0.log
    -Kernel log file: /var/log/messages

    Fatal server error:
    Could not open font 'fixed'
    XIO:fatal IO error 104(Connection reset by peer) on X server:":0.0"
    After 0 requests (o known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    Fd 3 is not a master pty device(it is 4,1)
    INIT id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

    System loop searching for a monitor configuration (turning on and off
    the monitor)
    the hard disk was completely full so I freed some space without any
    change.
    What can I do?
    PS I cannot reinstall the OS because this server is an evidence in a
    trial

    Andres

  2. Re: Could not open font 'fixed' message

    andres wrote:
    > Hi , I have a server Linux whth RedHat2.4.18 showing the following
    > error during the boot
    >
    > (WW) ATI(0) .Failed to setup write-combining range
    > (0xfd0000000,0x00000000)
    > (WW) ATI(0) .Failed to setup write-combining range
    > (0xfd0000000,0x00000000)
    > Error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0-xkm
    > Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
    > Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list
    > If you encounter a server crash , please report the problem by filling
    > a bug report in the XFree86.org bugzilla at http://xfree86.org and/or
    > Red Hat bugzilla at http://bugzilla .readhat.com/bugzilla.When filling
    > your report , it is very important that you explain your problem in as
    > much detail as possible .After submitting the bug report, attach the
    > following the following files as uncompressed individual file
    > attachments using the bugzilla file attachment feature:
    > -X server log file: /var/log/XFree86.0.log
    > -Kernel log file: /var/log/messages
    >
    > Fatal server error:
    > Could not open font 'fixed'
    > XIO:fatal IO error 104(Connection reset by peer) on X server:":0.0"
    > After 0 requests (o known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    > Fd 3 is not a master pty device(it is 4,1)
    > INIT id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    >
    > System loop searching for a monitor configuration (turning on and off
    > the monitor)
    > the hard disk was completely full so I freed some space without any
    > change.
    > What can I do?
    > PS I cannot reinstall the OS because this server is an evidence in a
    > trial

    If the server is evidence in a trial, it's probably best not to try fixing
    it. Just set its default to runlevel 3 in /etc/inittab and don't try to use
    X. It's a server anyway so it probably doesn't need X to do its job.
    The machine will still be usable in textmode.

    The reason the monitor flickers (turns off and on a few times) is that it is
    attempting to start xdm (or gdm) and when X fails, it continues trying for a
    few more times.

    Redhat... what version is it again?
    Judging by the kernel version and its use of xfree86 rather than xorg, I'd
    guess redhat... 8 or 9. Which is very old now. Redhat 9 was the final
    release of a public desktop redhat, after which it was decommissioned
    and replaced by fedora core 1 back in 2003.

    What does the login prompt say when you're on a virtual console?
    (ctrl alt F1-F6)?

    If you DO need to get X working...
    The inability to locate fonts possibly indicates the lack of a working font
    server. Check the log for any reference to freetype or other font server.
    It's also possible something happened to the fonts due to the full
    filesystem. Sometimes files can get wiped when there's no room to accomodate
    the data, Linux filesystems normally have a 5% buffer zone to prevent this
    however.

    Get back to us with the actual red hat version (rather than the kernel
    version). Oh, and do you still have the original install media?