really slow after installing linux - Setup

This is a discussion on really slow after installing linux - Setup ; I recently installed ubuntu linux(hardy heron , 8.04) ,along with winXp to make a dual boot system, the installation went on smoothly but after installation i found that ,ubuntu is really slow . it takes a long time to respond ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. really slow after installing linux

    I recently installed ubuntu linux(hardy heron , 8.04) ,along with
    winXp to make a dual boot system, the installation went on smoothly
    but after installation i found that ,ubuntu is really slow . it takes
    a long time to respond to miouse clicks, graphical menus are really
    slow.

    what could be the reason for this ?
    Is there any solution for this ?

    I had given swap space equal to double the RAM size.

  2. Re: really slow after installing linux

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:41:22 -0700, aarklon wrote:

    > I recently installed ubuntu linux(hardy heron , 8.04) ,along with winXp
    > to make a dual boot system, the installation went on smoothly but after
    > installation i found that ,ubuntu is really slow . it takes a long time
    > to respond to miouse clicks, graphical menus are really slow.
    >
    > what could be the reason for this ?
    > Is there any solution for this ?
    >
    > I had given swap space equal to double the RAM size.

    Sounds like Ubuntu is hitting the swap or there is a runaway process.
    What are your system specs? Does Windows boot and run normally?

  3. Re: really slow after installing linux

    Try disabling the desktop effects, compiz, etc. Maybe your video RAM
    is not enough or is not properly confgured.

    greetings,

    hans

    --
    http://monedas.awardspace.com/

  4. Re: really slow after installing linux

    On Jul 29, 1:03*am, Stefan Patric wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:41:22 -0700,aarklonwrote:
    > > I recently installed ubuntu linux(hardy heron , 8.04) ,along with winXp
    > > to make a dual boot system, the installation went on smoothly but after
    > > installation i found that ,ubuntu is really slow . it takes a long time
    > > to respond to miouse clicks, graphical menus are really slow.

    > > what could be the reason for this ?
    > > Is there any solution for this ?

    > > I had given swap space equal to double the RAM size.

    > Sounds like Ubuntu is hitting the swap or there is a runaway process. *
    > What are your system specs? *Does Windows boot and run normally?

    it is a core to duo machine, with on board sound, graphics, intel 965
    G chipset syatem
    it is an assembled machine (I don't know the motherboard make)

    but the main fact is , earlier ubuntu 7.04 was running smoothly on
    that machine

  5. Re: really slow after installing linux

    aarklon@gmail.com wrote:
    > it is a core to duo machine, with on board sound, graphics, intel 965
    > G chipset syatem
    > it is an assembled machine (I don't know the motherboard make)
    >
    > but the main fact is , earlier ubuntu 7.04 was running smoothly on
    > that machine

    How much RAM does it have?

  6. Re: really slow after installing linux

    aarklon@gmail.com writes:

    >On Jul 29, 1:03=A0am, Stefan Patric wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:41:22 -0700,aarklonwrote:
    >> > I recently installed ubuntu linux(hardy heron , 8.04) ,along with winXp
    >> > to make a dual boot system, the installation went on smoothly but after
    >> > installation i found that ,ubuntu is really slow . it takes a long time
    >> > to respond to miouse clicks, graphical menus are really slow.

    >> > what could be the reason for this ?
    >> > Is there any solution for this ?

    >> > I had given swap space equal to double the RAM size.

    >> Sounds like Ubuntu is hitting the swap or there is a runaway process. =A0
    >> What are your system specs? =A0Does Windows boot and run normally?

    >it is a core to duo machine, with on board sound, graphics, intel 965
    >G chipset syatem
    >it is an assembled machine (I don't know the motherboard make)

    Which graphics card? A collegue has had trouble with nvidia cards.

    >but the main fact is , earlier ubuntu 7.04 was running smoothly on
    >that machine

  7. Re: really slow after installing linux

    * Unruh wrote in comp.os.linux.setup:

    > aarklon@gmail.com writes:

    >>> Sounds like Ubuntu is hitting the swap or there is a runaway
    >>> process. =A0 What are your system specs? =A0Does Windows boot and
    >>> run normally?

    >>it is a core to duo machine, with on board sound, graphics, intel 965
    >>G chipset syatem
    >>it is an assembled machine (I don't know the motherboard make)

    > Which graphics card? A collegue has had trouble with nvidia cards.

    None its onboard based on the above, likley intel based.

    Problems with Nvidia? as opposed to what? ATI?

    --
    David

  8. Re: really slow after installing linux

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 05:31:06 -0700, aarklon wrote:

    > On Jul 29, 1:03¬*am, Stefan Patric wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:41:22 -0700,aarklonwrote:
    >> > I recently installed ubuntu linux(hardy heron , 8.04) ,along with
    >> > winXp to make a dual boot system, the installation went on smoothly
    >> > but after installation i found that ,ubuntu is really slow . it takes
    >> > a long time to respond to miouse clicks, graphical menus are really
    >> > slow.

    >> > what could be the reason for this ?
    >> > Is there any solution for this ?

    >> > I had given swap space equal to double the RAM size.

    >> Sounds like Ubuntu is hitting the swap or there is a runaway process.
    >> What are your system specs? ¬*Does Windows boot and run normally?

    > it is a core to duo machine, with on board sound, graphics, intel 965 G
    > chipset syatem
    > it is an assembled machine (I don't know the motherboard make)
    >
    > but the main fact is , earlier ubuntu 7.04 was running smoothly on that
    > machine

    You're not the only one having problems with 8.04. I've read of quite a
    few on the Ubuntu newgroup. Even one of the guys in the local Linux user
    group who upgraded to 8.04 has had nothing but problems. The entire
    group has been unable to "fix" his system: Fix one thing, something else
    breaks. He finally just reinstalled the previous Ubuntu version and all
    is well.

    My only suggestion is to verify that 8.04 iso--I'm assuming you installed
    it from a CD--has no errors, and if it is error free, reinstall, double
    checking everything to be sure you've made no errors. If 8.04 is still
    slow and unusable, just reinstall 7.04, since it worked fine, and wait
    for a later, less problematical Ubuntu version to install.

    Stef

  9. Re: really slow after installing linux

    On Jul 29, 6:43*pm, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > aark...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > it is a core to duo machine, with on board sound, graphics, intel *965
    > > G chipset syatem
    > > it is an assembled machine (I don't know the motherboard make)

    > > but the main fact is , earlier ubuntu 7.04 was running smoothly on
    > > that machine

    > How much RAM does it have?

    it has gott 512 mb of RAM

  10. Re: really slow after installing linux

    aarklon@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 29, 6:43*pm, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >> aark...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > it is a core to duo machine, with on board sound, graphics, intel *965
    >> > G chipset syatem
    >> > it is an assembled machine (I don't know the motherboard make)

    >> > but the main fact is , earlier ubuntu 7.04 was running smoothly on
    >> > that machine

    >> How much RAM does it have?

    > it has gott 512 mb of RAM

    Should be enough then... But it might still be worth trying a more
    lightweight desktop manager. Try installing the xubuntu metapackage and
    seeing if that desktop is more... zippy...

    | in |good to you so far... |

  11. Re: really slow after installing linux

    Stefan Patric wrote:
    > My only suggestion is to verify that 8.04 iso--I'm assuming you installed
    > it from a CD--has no errors, and if it is error free, reinstall, double
    > checking everything to be sure you've made no errors. If 8.04 is still
    > slow and unusable, just reinstall 7.04, since it worked fine, and wait
    > for a later, less problematical Ubuntu version to install.

    Remember, Hardy is the long term support release, so bugs will be
    continually found and fixed during its lifetime.

    If it's not right now, it might work fine in a few months.

    I've not encountered any problems with this release that weren't the result
    of a config problem carried over from the last release. (I did the network
    upgrade rather than a reinstall from scratch).

    And once the config problem was identified, I fixed it myself quite easily.
    (the problem being, a bad resolution in X, which caused the gdm to produce
    the wrong screensize)
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  12. Re: really slow after installing linux

    aarklon@gmail.com wrote:
    > I recently installed ubuntu linux(hardy heron , 8.04) ,along with
    > winXp to make a dual boot system, the installation went on smoothly
    > but after installation i found that ,ubuntu is really slow . it takes
    > a long time to respond to miouse clicks, graphical menus are really
    > slow.

    Maybe some process is going wild and consumes most of your resources. A
    look at the output of the top command might give a hint.

    cu
    Philipp

    --
    Dr. Philipp Pagel
    Lehrstuhl f. Genomorientierte Bioinformatik

  13. Re: really slow after installing linux

    On Jul 30, 6:03*am, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > aark...@gmail.com wrote:

    > >> How much RAM does it have?

    > > it has gott 512 *mb of RAM

    > Should be enough then... But it might still be worth trying a more
    > lightweight desktop manager. Try installing the xubuntu metapackage and
    > seeing if that desktop is more... zippy...
    >
    > --
    > | * * * * * * * * * * * * *|What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
    > | *spi...@freenet.co.uk * *|in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
    > | * * * * * * * * * * * * *|can't move, with nohope of rescue. * * * * * * |
    > | *Andrew Halliwell BSc * *|Consider how lucky you are that life has been * |
    > | * * * * * in * * * * * * |good to you so far... * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
    > | * *Computer Science * * *| * -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guideto the galaxy.|

    With an on-board vid card, your video is likely sharing RAM with the
    system. Aside from installing more RAM, the more the merrier, you can
    disable Compiz-fusion which will release some resource hungry features
    in the video area.

    I have a Dell E520 3.04GHz with 1GB RAM,and an upgraded video card -
    beside the wireless issue which was fixed in 8.04 and worked around in
    7.10, the system runs pretty swiftly compared to when Vista was
    installed.......

  14. Re: really slow after installing linux

    Norbert Kolvenbach wrote:
    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> aarklon@gmail.com wrote:

    >>> it has gott 512 mb of RAM

    >> Should be enough then... But it might still be worth trying a more
    >> lightweight desktop manager. Try installing the xubuntu metapackage and
    >> seeing if that desktop is more... zippy...
    >>

    > 512 MB enough? You are seriously joking.

    I am not clear if you are being sarcastic or not.
    I have a machine with dual Pentium III 550 MHz processors and 512 MB or RAM
    and it runs just fine and hardly ever pages. It runs X Window System and
    GNOME (CentOS4). There are 93 tasks in the process table as shown by top.

    $ vmstat 5
    procs -----------memory---------- --swap-- ----io---- --system-- ----cpu----
    r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa
    2 0 21388 23504 15860 131720 0 0 41 9 21 13 97 3 0 0
    2 0 21388 23520 15876 131704 0 0 0 10 1120 146 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 23512 15884 131696 0 0 0 2 1136 159 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 23520 15892 131688 0 0 0 13 1122 141 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 23520 15892 131688 0 0 0 2 1137 161 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 23504 15892 131688 0 0 0 0 1127 154 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 23504 15892 131688 0 0 0 0 1139 172 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 23504 15892 131688 0 0 0 6 1122 153 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 23504 15892 131688 0 0 0 0 1137 170 99 1 0 0

    > Watch the paging on your system and watch for background processes.
    >
    > NoKo

    ^^-^^ 11:40:01 up 8 days, 17:46, 5 users, load average: 4.38, 4.66, 4.55

  15. Re: really slow after installing linux

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > aarklon@gmail.com wrote:

    >>> How much RAM does it have?

    >> it has gott 512 mb of RAM

    > Should be enough then... But it might still be worth trying a more
    > lightweight desktop manager. Try installing the xubuntu metapackage and
    > seeing if that desktop is more... zippy...

    512 MB enough? You are seriously joking.

    Watch the paging on your system and watch for background processes.

    NoKo
    --
    "Careful with that VAX, Eugene!"

  16. Re: really slow after installing linux

    aarklon@gmail.com wrote:

    > it has gott 512 mb of RAM

    Ubuntu is slow in my experience. The desktop software contains too much
    crap, I reckon. I would just install Debian with a lightweight window
    manager. Don't install Gnome or KDE, or anything like that.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  17. Re: really slow after installing linux

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > aarklon@gmail.com wrote:
    >> it has gott 512 mb of RAM
    >>

    > Ubuntu is slow in my experience. The desktop software contains too much
    > crap, I reckon.

    How do you reckon? Have you measured memory usage? What are the paging rates
    you are seeing? I have a machine with 512MBytes RAM running CentOS 4 with X
    Window System and GNOME and it runs just fine with almost no paging.

    $ vmstat 10
    procs -----------memory---------- --swap-- ----io---- --system-- ----cpu----
    r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa
    2 0 21388 25296 27324 117876 0 0 40 9 2 15 97 3 0 0
    2 0 21388 25304 27340 117860 0 0 0 4 1128 156 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 25304 27340 117860 0 0 0 0 1131 155 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 25304 27340 117860 0 0 0 2 1128 157 99 1 0 0
    3 0 21388 25304 27340 117860 0 0 0 2 1132 164 84 1 15 0
    2 0 21388 25304 27340 117860 0 0 0 0 1128 146 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 25292 27340 117860 0 0 0 0 1128 157 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 25300 27340 117860 0 0 0 1 1128 159 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 25300 27340 117860 0 0 0 0 1128 159 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 25300 27340 117860 0 0 0 1 1128 163 99 1 0 0
    2 0 21388 25300 27340 117860 0 0 0 0 1132 166 99 1 0 0

    I just ran this table about 16:10 this afternoon.
    I previously ran it at about 11:50 this morning.
    In that interval, no paging occurred. Clearly, 512 MBytes RAM is enough to
    run X and GNOME. If your system is running too slowly (I do not deny this),
    it is not the fault of insufficient memory or too heavy a window manager.
    BTW: my processors are only 550 MHz Pentium IIIs, so it is not because so
    much processing is required.

    > I would just install Debian with a lightweight window
    > manager. Don't install Gnome or KDE, or anything like that.
    >
    > Mark.

    ^^-^^ 16:05:01 up 8 days, 22:11, 4 users, load average: 4.29, 4.14, 4.10

  18. Re: really slow after installing linux

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > How do you reckon? Have you measured memory usage? What are the paging rates
    > you are seeing?

    I didn't measure any benchmarks. They are not always useful. A system
    can still be sluggish, with jerky mouse movements, constant disk
    accesses, and slow resposiveness in opening and closing applications,
    even though benchmarks for the system say that the machine is performing
    well.

    A high end Pentium 4 based machine running Microsoft Windows XP, for
    example may obtain better benchmark results than my basic 750 Mhz
    desktop machine running a lightweight window manager. However, my system
    is more responsive from a usability point of view, because I do not get
    egg timers on the screen, and my applications open as soon as I click
    them.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  19. Re: really slow after installing linux

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 00:31:04 -0400, Mark Hobley wrote:

    > I didn't measure any benchmarks. They are not always useful. A system
    > can still be sluggish, with jerky mouse movements, constant disk
    > accesses, and slow resposiveness in opening and closing applications,
    > even though benchmarks for the system say that the machine is performing
    > well.

    Make sure you don't have any indexing program like beagle running. Also take a
    look at http://rudd-o.com/archives/2007/10/0...w-to-fix-that/

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  20. Re: really slow after installing linux

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >
    >> How do you reckon? Have you measured memory usage? What are the paging rates
    >> you are seeing?

    > I didn't measure any benchmarks.

    So your reckoning is based on guesswork and intuition and not on measurements.

    I was not really talking about running benchmarks. Whatever you are running
    when your system is too slow is a suitable load for measuring paging rates

    man vmstat

    If you are not paging much, then you have enough RAM and the slow
    performance is due to something other than too heavy a windowing system or
    desktop manager you are running. Perhaps because your CPU is too slow. As I
    said earlier, running with 550 MHz Pentium IIIs on a 512 MByte system does
    not get sluggish performance for me.

    > They are not always useful. A system
    > can still be sluggish, with jerky mouse movements, constant disk
    > accesses, and slow resposiveness in opening and closing applications,
    > even though benchmarks for the system say that the machine is performing
    > well.

    I wonder to what benchmarks you refer.

    Jerky mouse movements, slow responsiveness in opening and closing
    applications, etc., might be due to sluggish disk performance, for example.
    If you do not measure these things, you are just guessing.

    > A high end Pentium 4 based machine running Microsoft Windows XP, for
    > example may obtain better benchmark results than my basic 750 Mhz
    > desktop machine running a lightweight window manager. However, my system
    > is more responsive from a usability point of view, because I do not get
    > egg timers on the screen, and my applications open as soon as I click
    > them.
    >
    > Mark.

    ^^-^^ 15:10:01 up 9 days, 21:16, 4 users, load average: 4.11, 4.17, 4.24

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast