swap partition - Setup

This is a discussion on swap partition - Setup ; Hi, Is it possible to create swap partition that can be used by both windows and Linux O.S es,independent of file systems, in a dual boot system ?...

  1. swap partition

    Hi,
    Is it possible to create swap partition that can be used by both
    windows and Linux O.S es,independent of file systems, in a dual boot
    system ?

  2. Re: swap partition

    aarklon@gmail.com writes:

    > Is it possible to create swap partition that can be used by both
    > windows and Linux O.S es,independent of file systems, in a dual boot
    > system ?

    Yes, it is possible.[1]

    Footnotes:
    [1] http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Swap-Space.html

    --
    Sa Puso't Diwa

  3. Re: swap partition

    On 24 Jul, 15:43, Luga Kadiri wrote:
    > aark...@gmail.com writes:
    > > Is it possible to create swap partition that can be used by both
    > > windows and Linux O.S es,independent of file systems, in a dual boot
    > > system ?

    > Yes, it is possible.[1]
    >
    > Footnotes:
    > [1] *http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Swap-Space.html
    >
    > --
    > Sa Puso't Diwa

    This is somewhat dangerous. It reformats the swap partition for the
    appropriate OS every time Linux boots or shutdowns, and if Linux is
    shut down hard for any reason, the partition won't be correctly
    reformatted. This might or might not cause problems for the Windows OS.

  4. Re: swap partition

    Dear all,

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > On 24 Jul, 15:43, Luga Kadiri wrote:
    >> aark...@gmail.com writes:
    >> > Is it possible to create swap partition that can be used by both
    >> > windows and Linux O.S es,independent of file systems, in a dual boot
    >> > system ?

    >> Yes, it is possible.[1]
    >>
    >> Footnotes:
    >> [1] *http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Swap-Space.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sa Puso't Diwa

    > This is somewhat dangerous. It reformats the swap partition for the
    > appropriate OS every time Linux boots or shutdowns, and if Linux is
    > shut down hard for any reason, the partition won't be correctly
    > reformatted. This might or might not cause problems for the Windows OS.

    I do it the other way around. For most tasks, my system with 1Gbyte
    memory runs perfectly without swap (Fedora 8, KDE)
    /sbin/mkswap pagefile.sys
    /sbin/swapon pagefile.sys

    If I need more, I borrow the Windows 1G fixed-size swapfile on a FAT
    partition with a little script:
    /sbin/mkswap /mnt/swap/pagefile.sys
    /sbin/swapon /mnt/swap/pagefile.sys

    But.... Do not hibernate Windows, then you have a problem....

    Kind Regards,
    H.Janssen

  5. Re: swap partition

    Dear all

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > On 24 Jul, 15:43, Luga Kadiri wrote:
    >> aark...@gmail.com writes:
    >> > Is it possible to create swap partition that can be used by both
    >> > windows and Linux O.S es,independent of file systems, in a dual boot
    >> > system ?

    >> Yes, it is possible.[1]
    >>
    >> Footnotes:
    >> [1] *http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Swap-Space.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sa Puso't Diwa

    > This is somewhat dangerous. It reformats the swap partition for the
    > appropriate OS every time Linux boots or shutdowns, and if Linux is
    > shut down hard for any reason, the partition won't be correctly
    > reformatted. This might or might not cause problems for the Windows OS.

    I do it the other way around. For most tasks, my system with 1Gbyte
    memory runs perfectly without swap (Fedora 8, KDE)
    If I need more, I borrow the Windows 1G fixed-size swapfile on a FAT
    partition with a little script:

    /sbin/mkswap /mnt/swap/pagefile.sys
    /sbin/swapon /mnt/swap/pagefile.sys

    But.... Do not hibernate Windows, then you have a problem....

    Kind Regards,
    H.Janssen

+ Reply to Thread