Need Fedora Core 8 on CD (not DVD) - Setup

This is a discussion on Need Fedora Core 8 on CD (not DVD) - Setup ; I have some older, non-DVD reading machines that I need to upgrade to FC8. Hard to find the FC8 OS in CD form. Anyone? Thanks, -Richard Vaughn...

  1. Need Fedora Core 8 on CD (not DVD)

    I have some older, non-DVD reading machines that I need to upgrade to
    FC8.
    Hard to find the FC8 OS in CD form.
    Anyone?

    Thanks,
    -Richard Vaughn

  2. Re: Need Fedora Core 8 on CD (not DVD)

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:30:22 -0700, Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > I have some older, non-DVD reading machines that I need to upgrade to
    > FC8.
    > Hard to find the FC8 OS in CD form.
    > Anyone?

    The LiveCD version of Fedora 8 is a CD. You can install it on the hard
    drive, and then use yum to update/upgrade your system.

    Another option: Fedora used to be able to install off an ISO file (CD or
    DVD) on the hard drive. I haven't used this option in a few years, and
    don't know if it's still available.

    Have you thought of using a Fedora version that did come on CD like Core
    6, do a minimal install of that, and then upgrade to 8?

    Or, use the 8 Rescue CD and do an "on line" install? A lot of work, but
    do-able.

    Stef

  3. Re: Need Fedora Core 8 on CD (not DVD)

    Stefan Patric wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:30:22 -0700, Richard Vaughn wrote:
    >
    >> I have some older, non-DVD reading machines that I need to upgrade to
    >> FC8.
    >> Hard to find the FC8 OS in CD form.
    >> Anyone?

    > The LiveCD version of Fedora 8 is a CD. You can install it on the hard
    > drive, and then use yum to update/upgrade your system.
    >
    > Another option: Fedora used to be able to install off an ISO file (CD or
    > DVD) on the hard drive. I haven't used this option in a few years, and
    > don't know if it's still available.
    >
    > Have you thought of using a Fedora version that did come on CD like Core
    > 6, do a minimal install of that, and then upgrade to 8?
    >
    > Or, use the 8 Rescue CD and do an "on line" install? A lot of work, but
    > do-able.

    I'd recommend the "online" option. You basically use the boot CD and
    tell anaconda to install from an ftp server or an nfs share. I've done
    it with an ftp server. The ftp or nfs server has to serve up the DVD.

  4. Re: Need Fedora Core 8 on CD (not DVD)

    Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > I have some older, non-DVD reading machines that I need to upgrade to
    > FC8.
    > Hard to find the FC8 OS in CD form.
    > Anyone?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Richard Vaughn

    AFAIK there is no such thing as direct F8 install from CDs.

    However, F9 is available on CDs.

  5. Re: Need Fedora Core 8 on CD (not DVD)

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:30:22 -0700, Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > I have some older, non-DVD reading machines that I need to upgrade to
    > FC8.
    > Hard to find the FC8 OS in CD form.
    > Anyone?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Richard Vaughn

    Do these have network access? I install things like this from a local
    http:// link. I download a .iso dvd image, mount it using something like
    mount -o loop F8DVD.ISO /var/www/html/F8
    and then I use the boot.iso cd image to boot. I tell it that its a
    web based install and point it at my local web server were I mounted
    the .iso image.... I never ( hardly ) ever burn a dvd... just mount
    the .iso image.

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  6. Re: Need Fedora Core 8 on CD (not DVD)

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:40:59 -0700, Philip wrote:

    > Richard Vaughn wrote:
    >> I have some older, non-DVD reading machines that I need to upgrade to
    >> FC8.
    >> Hard to find the FC8 OS in CD form.
    >> Anyone?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> -Richard Vaughn

    > AFAIK there is no such thing as direct F8 install from CDs.
    >
    > However, F9 is available on CDs.

    Use the F8 LiveCD to do the install.

  7. Re: Need Fedora Core 8 on CD (not DVD)

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:40:59 -0700, Philip wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Vaughn wrote:
    >>> I have some older, non-DVD reading machines that I need to upgrade to
    >>> FC8.
    >>> Hard to find the FC8 OS in CD form.
    >>> Anyone?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> -Richard Vaughn

    >> AFAIK there is no such thing as direct F8 install from CDs.
    >>
    >> However, F9 is available on CDs.

    > Use the F8 LiveCD to do the install.

    My laptop is old, so the DVD-ROM drive does not recognize DVD+/-R
    formats. So I cannot burn a DVD+R of F8.

    I did try a F8 network install via http, but it took 96 hours and never
    got past the checking dependencies phase.

    So I went straight to F9 CDs with no problem.

+ Reply to Thread