hard drive partition - Setup

This is a discussion on hard drive partition - Setup ; Hi folks, I have a hard drive partition on a computer that's in its last days and I'd like to transfer it verbatim to my Linux system for use with Bochs. As it happens, the partition is 4300 megs in ...

  1. hard drive partition

    Hi folks,

    I have a hard drive partition on a computer
    that's in its last days and I'd like to transfer it
    verbatim to my Linux system for use with
    Bochs. As it happens, the partition is
    4300 megs in size so it should fit handily
    onto a DVD-R. It is the 1st partition on
    the old system's drive.

    Can anyone explain what the process is
    for making use of a partition in this manner?
    I tend to think I will create an extended
    partition of my Linux system that is the
    same size. However, can I just transfer
    the bytes over from partition 1 on the old
    drive to say partition 5 on the new one?

    Or should I scrap this idea and just
    zip all the files on the old and unzip them
    on the new drive?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: hard drive partition

    Campy Happer wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have a hard drive partition on a computer
    > that's in its last days and I'd like to transfer it
    > verbatim to my Linux system for use with
    > Bochs. As it happens, the partition is
    > 4300 megs in size so it should fit handily
    > onto a DVD-R. It is the 1st partition on
    > the old system's drive.
    >
    > Can anyone explain what the process is
    > for making use of a partition in this manner?
    > I tend to think I will create an extended
    > partition of my Linux system that is the
    > same size. However, can I just transfer
    > the bytes over from partition 1 on the old
    > drive to say partition 5 on the new one?

    Rsync is your buddy

    If you don't have it install it and then

    man rsync for how to use

    Short version follows:

    After mounting the partitions

    rsync -av

    --
    Tayo'y mga Pinoy

  3. Re: hard drive partition

    Campy writes:
    > I have a hard drive partition on a computer that's in its last days and
    > I'd like to transfer it verbatim to my Linux system for use with
    > Bochs. As it happens, the partition is 4300 megs in size so it should fit
    > handily onto a DVD-R. It is the 1st partition on the old system's drive.

    Partimage.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org