problem durin installation of RHEL 5.0 - Setup

This is a discussion on problem durin installation of RHEL 5.0 - Setup ; hi guys i m new in linux........ i have 10 gb free memory in my hard disk..After that i install RHEL 5.0......... durin installion.a step comes about partitioning........ i give 100MB to /boot make it primary ... and try to ...

  1. problem durin installation of RHEL 5.0

    hi guys

    i m new in linux........

    i have 10 gb free memory in my hard disk..After that i install RHEL
    5.0.........

    durin installion.a step comes about partitioning........

    i give 100MB to /boot make it primary ... and try to make another
    partition /root
    but a error msg comes saying that u have not enough memory..........

    then i delete /boot partition.then i make /root primary
    partitiongiving 5gb memory to it

    as i try to make another partition i show same error msg...
    if i dont make any other partion except /root .then installation is
    goin on......

    will it case some problem?????

    and what the function of swap in it????

  2. Re: problem durin installation of RHEL 5.0

    vineet wrote:

    > hi guys
    >
    > i m new in linux........
    >
    > i have 10 gb free memory in my hard disk..After that i install RHEL
    > 5.0.........
    >
    > durin installion.a step comes about partitioning........
    >
    > i give 100MB to /boot make it primary ... and try to make another
    > partition /root
    > but a error msg comes saying that u have not enough memory..........
    >
    > then i delete /boot partition.then i make /root primary
    > partitiongiving 5gb memory to it
    >
    > as i try to make another partition i show same error msg...
    > if i dont make any other partion except /root .then installation is
    > goin on......
    >
    > will it case some problem?????
    >
    > and what the function of swap in it????

    You've probably run out of primary partitions. A disk can only have 4
    of them. Make them extended partitions, instead.

  3. Re: problem durin installation of RHEL 5.0

    On Jul 12, 5:37*am, Allen Kistler wrote:
    > vineet wrote:
    >
    > > hi guys

    > > i m new in linux........

    > > i have 10 gb free memory in my hard disk..After that *i install RHEL
    > > 5.0.........

    > > durin installion.a step comes about partitioning........

    > > i give 100MB to /boot *make it primary *... and try to make another
    > > partition /root
    > > but a error msg comes saying that u have not enough memory..........

    > > then i delete /boot partition.then i make /root primary
    > > partitiongiving 5gb memory to it

    > > as i try to make another partition i show same error msg...
    > > if i dont make any other partion except /root .then installation is
    > > goin on......

    > > will it case some problem?????

    > > and what the function of swap in it????

    > You've probably run out of primary partitions. *A disk can only have 4
    > of them. *Make them extended partitions, instead.

    thanks sir,but i have only two primary partitions in window n 1
    primary in linux

  4. Re: problem durin installation of RHEL 5.0

    vineet wrote:

    > hi guys
    >
    > i m new in linux........
    >
    > i have 10 gb free memory in my hard disk..After that i install RHEL
    > 5.0.........

    I would prefer that you not use the word _memory_ to describe both disk
    space and RAM space. This makes for confusing ambiguity. I would prefer to
    call disk space _disk space_ and RAM space _memory_.

    > durin installion.a step comes about partitioning........
    >
    > i give 100MB to /boot make it primary ... and try to make another
    > partition /root
    > but a error msg comes saying that u have not enough memory..........

    See? I do not know if you ran out of _memory_ or out of _disk space_. It
    would be helpful if you were to give the exact text of the error message. It
    would be good to know if you have run out of _memory_, _disk space_, or disk
    partitions. You can have only four primary partitions. IIRC, if you are
    running SCSI hard drives, you can have a total of 15 partitions, of which
    three can be primary, one extended, and 11 secondary (or whatever they are
    called).

    > then i delete /boot partition.then i make /root primary
    > partitiongiving 5gb memory to it

    This is curious. You could install RHEL5 on the / (root) partition, whether
    it is a primary or a secondary partition. If your machine is fairly new, you
    do not need a /boot partition at all (although I continue to use one). It
    would be nuts to make a /root partition because it _must_ be a part of the /
    partition.

    > as i try to make another partition i show same error msg...
    > if i dont make any other partion except /root .then installation is
    > goin on......

    Please be clear if you are making a / partition or a /root partition. The
    latter does not make sense.

    > will it case some problem?????
    >
    > and what the function of swap in it????

    A swap partition is not part of any other partition. The purpose of the swap
    partition(s) is to provide a place for paging from RAM to disk.

    ^^-^^ 14:30:01 up 18 days, 23:50, 5 users, load average: 4.22, 4.26, 4.27

+ Reply to Thread