What's the advantage of allocating separate partition as mount pointto /etc, /home and etc - Setup

This is a discussion on What's the advantage of allocating separate partition as mount pointto /etc, /home and etc - Setup ; Le 09.07.2008 18:52, Keith Keller a écrit : > On 2008-07-09, The Natural Philosopher wrote: >> Many programs use /var for more than log files. >> Its the default web server area in apache, and the default place to put ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: What's the advantage of allocating separate partition as mountpoint to /etc, /home and etc

    Le 09.07.2008 18:52, Keith Keller a écrit :
    > On 2008-07-09, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >> Many programs use /var for more than log files.
    >> Its the default web server area in apache, and the default place to put
    >> Mysql data as well.

    > If I may whinge for a minute, I really get frustrated at the default
    > locations for these files. If anything, this data should go under
    > /usr/local (or /opt), not /var.

    I don't know why www has migrated to /var (once upon a time it was in
    /home) but I think that things are now changing: if you install
    phpmyadmin, or gallery, from fedora they are installed in /usr/share, I
    think in /usr/local/share if you install them from tar.gz, and there is
    an alias in /etc/http/conf.d/phpmyadmin.conf.

    So, we can think that only the "basic" web files will remain in /var

    Though, I agree that it is a strange location because when you make a
    new install over an existing install, anaconda wants to format /var and
    I don't think that you can avoid it... like for /home or /opt

    Same problem occurs for bind

    --
    François Patte
    Université Paris 5 - Paris

  2. Re: What's the advantage of allocating separate partition as mount point to /etc, /home and etc

    On 2008-07-09, John Hasler wrote:
    > Keith Keller wrote:
    >> If I may whinge for a minute, I really get frustrated at the default
    >> locations for these files. If anything, this data should go under
    >> /usr/local (or /opt), not /var.

    > /var is exactly where the FHS says it should go.

    Perhaps, but it's not where I want it to go.

    And I would argue that the FHS does not say where the database and
    htdocs et al directories should go:

    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-...HEVARHIERARCHY

    does not say anything about this data. (So you could put it into e.g.
    /var/lib/mysql, or you could put it elsewhere. I prefer elsewhere.)

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: What's the advantage of allocating separate partition as mountpoint to /etc, /home and etc

    On 9 Jul, 21:40, François Patte paris5.fr> wrote:
    > Le 09.07.2008 18:52, Keith Keller a écrit :
    >
    > > On 2008-07-09, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > >> Many programs use /var for more than log files.
    > >> Its the default web server area in apache, and the default place to put
    > >> Mysql data as well.

    > > If I may whinge for a minute, I really get frustrated at the default
    > > locations for these files. *If anything, this data should go under
    > > /usr/local (or /opt), not /var.

    > I don't know why www has migrated to /var (once upon a time it was in
    > /home) but I think that things are now changing: if you install
    > phpmyadmin, or gallery, from fedora they are installed in /usr/share, I
    > think in /usr/local/share if you install them from tar.gz, and there is
    > an alias in /etc/http/conf.d/phpmyadmin.conf.
    >
    > So, we can think that only the "basic" web files will remain in /var
    >
    > Though, I agree that it is a strange location because when you make a
    > new install over an existing install, anaconda wants to format /var and
    > I don't think that you can avoid it... like for /home or /opt
    >
    > Same problem occurs for bind
    >
    > --
    > François Patte
    > Université Paris 5 - Paris

    That's a configurable option at compile time. As /var/www has grown,
    it's been useful to separate it from ordinary user files, which may be
    NFS or otherwise network accessible, and keep it in /var, which is for
    bulky and fast-changing material.

    One can certainly avoid formatting /var: Simply do not use it as a
    partition, and add /var/www or other mount points later as needed from
    leftover disk space. Different components, such as /var/spool/news or /
    var/www, may operate better with different file systems or mounting
    options, such as 'noatime', so don't be too frightened of doing it
    later. Simply make sure you've left some space, or be prepared to
    repartition.

    There is also a lot of legacy for /etc being a small, hard-coded,
    individual partition. See, way, way back in the UNIX-only days,
    installation tools bootstrapped themselves by creating a very small,
    hardcoded /etc partition, and uploading just enough components there
    to make partitions, be able to access a tape drive and upload from
    *THAT*. We've got better tools now, and the configuration tools are
    easily available on an installation CD or PXE toolkit. But tools like
    ping, arp, dump, and restore used to live there: now they mostly go in
    places like /sbin or /usr/sbin, for good reasons. Linux and modern
    UNIX's avoid putting *any* binaries in /etc.

  4. Re: What's the advantage of allocating separate partition as mount point to /etc, /home and etc

    Keith Keller wrote:

    > On 2008-07-09, John Hasler wrote:
    >> Keith Keller wrote:
    >>> If I may whinge for a minute, I really get frustrated at the default
    >>> locations for these files. If anything, this data should go under
    >>> /usr/local (or /opt), not /var.

    /usr/local and /opt are often mounted network shares holding locally
    installed programs and such and may not be writable.

    >> /var is exactly where the FHS says it should go.

    > Perhaps, but it's not where I want it to go.
    >
    > And I would argue that the FHS does not say where the database and
    > htdocs et al directories should go:

    /var is the only hierarchy that needs to be writable so it's a sane
    default.

    > http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-...HEVARHIERARCHY
    >
    > does not say anything about this data. (So you could put it into e.g.
    > /var/lib/mysql, or you could put it elsewhere. I prefer elsewhere.)

    Of course you can do things different if you want, and there's nothing
    wrong about that. But the default has to be something that works on
    about all systems.

    Personally I would make /var/lib/mysql a symlink to the directory that
    holds your databases.

    Florian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2