Serial Monitor program for console - Setup

This is a discussion on Serial Monitor program for console - Setup ; Hi, Is there any modern Serial Monitor tool running in console? Thanks. - narke...

  1. Serial Monitor program for console

    Hi,

    Is there any modern Serial Monitor tool running in console? Thanks.

    -
    narke

  2. Re: Serial Monitor program for console

    Steven Woody wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any modern Serial Monitor tool running in console? Thanks.
    >
    > -
    > narke

    Hmm. 'Modern' 'console' and 'serial monitor' dont really go well together.

    Plenty of old stuff around. That works really well.

    Kermit perhaps?

  3. Re: Serial Monitor program for console

    On 8 Jul, 11:25, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > Steven Woody wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > Is there any modern Serial Monitor tool running in console? *Thanks.

    > > -
    > > narke

    > Hmm. 'Modern' 'console' and 'serial monitor' dont really go well together..
    >
    > Plenty of old stuff around. That works really well.
    >
    > Kermit perhaps?

    Kermit seems to be dead: there's no evidence of souce code changes in
    4 years, and few distributiions provide it anymore. Under RHEL/Fedora,
    it has serious security integration issues, even compiled from source.

    Although, if you want it, I've got a .spec file for RHEL 5.

  4. Re: Serial Monitor program for console

    Nico Kadel-Garcia writes:
    > Kermit seems to be dead: there's no evidence of souce code changes in 4
    > years, and few distributiions provide it anymore. Under RHEL/Fedora, it
    > has serious security integration issues, even compiled from source.

    Debian has gkermit and ckermit. Neither packages seems to have any serious
    bugs.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  5. Re: Serial Monitor program for console

    Steven Woody wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any modern Serial Monitor tool running in console? Thanks.

    What do you mean by "Serial Monitor"??

    You mean something that monitors the status of your
    serial ports?

  6. Re: Serial Monitor program for console

    On 11 Jul, 00:29, John Hasler wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia writes:
    > > Kermit seems to be dead: there's no evidence of souce code changes in 4
    > > years, and few distributiions provide it anymore. Under RHEL/Fedora, it
    > > has serious security integration issues, even compiled from source.

    > Debian has gkermit and ckermit. *Neither packages seems to have any serious
    > bugs.

    G-Kermit? Ye ghods, that hasn't been updated in... 9 years?
    Integrating them into modern environments is increasingly difficult,
    at least if you try to build the actual packages with documentation
    and correct security settings to access your modem and create
    lockfiles.

  7. Re: Serial Monitor program for console

    On Jul 11, 10:01 am, Chris Cox wrote:
    > Steven Woody wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > Is there any modern Serial Monitor tool running in console? Thanks.

    > What do you mean by "Serial Monitor"??
    >
    > You mean something that monitors the status of your
    > serial ports?

    running on my computer, can logging every trafic come in and come out
    from my serial port, can also tell me the current status of these
    control lines such as DTR/DTS etc.

    I always get problem with kermit. For my slackware, there is no a
    distribution of kermit or ckermit, and in my location, I even can not
    download a source code of ckermit -- the downloading location is
    always unreachable here.

  8. Re: Serial Monitor program for console

    Steven Woody wrote:
    > For my slackware, there is no a distribution of kermit or ckermit, and in
    > my location, I even can not download a source code of ckermit -- the
    > downloading location is always unreachable here.

    You can get the source tarball from any Debian mirror. Here is a link:
    . I suggest that you
    download the Debian diff as well and apply it as it may include important
    patches. You can then delete the debian directory and reverse any Debian
    changes you don't like (if any).

    Here is a link for gkermit, which is GPL:

    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  9. Re: Serial Monitor program for console

    Steven Woody wrote:
    > On Jul 11, 10:01 am, Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >>Steven Woody wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,

    >>>Is there any modern Serial Monitor tool running in console? Thanks.

    >>What do you mean by "Serial Monitor"??
    >>
    >>You mean something that monitors the status of your
    >>serial ports?

    > running on my computer, can logging every trafic come in and come out
    > from my serial port, can also tell me the current status of these
    > control lines such as DTR/DTS etc.

    What you're looking for is usually called a Serial
    Traffic Analyzer, if you want to store and display
    all the characters going in and out of your serial
    interface, together with the modem control and status
    line states associated with the characters.

    You do not get all the data from a standard serial
    I/O chip driver, so some kernel programming is in
    order, as well as programming the application, of
    course.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi