"Large print" version of xmms? - Setup

This is a discussion on "Large print" version of xmms? - Setup ; I have a Linux box in the living room hooked to our TV. I haven't gotten my 46-inch LCD TV yet, so the TV is an older model which only has composite, S-Video, and component inputs. The computer only has ...

  1. "Large print" version of xmms?

    I have a Linux box in the living room hooked to our TV. I haven't
    gotten my 46-inch LCD TV yet, so the TV is an older model which only
    has composite, S-Video, and component inputs. The computer only has
    VGA, DVI, and composite outputs. So yes, you guessed it, I have
    to put up with composite video for now. This makes displayed text
    almost impossible to read. Is there a way to get xmms to display
    its file requesters, playlists, etc. in a large font? All the skins
    I've seen don't change the size of the text, so they're no help.

    (I originally got the box to run MythTV - I've installed KnoppMyth -
    but I'm not using that functionality that much right now. MythTV
    displays everything in nice large readable fonts, but it doesn't
    have the functionality of xmms. Specifically, it acts like a
    portable MP3 player - requiring you to load MP3s into it before
    it can play them - rather than being able to access MP3s from the
    directories where they currently live, as xmms does.)

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

  2. Re: "Large print" version of xmms?

    On 2008-07-07, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
    > I have a Linux box in the living room hooked to our TV. I haven't
    > gotten my 46-inch LCD TV yet, so the TV is an older model which only
    > has composite, S-Video, and component inputs. The computer only has
    > VGA, DVI, and composite outputs. So yes, you guessed it, I have
    > to put up with composite video for now. This makes displayed text
    > almost impossible to read. Is there a way to get xmms to display
    > its file requesters, playlists, etc. in a large font? All the skins
    > I've seen don't change the size of the text, so they're no help.

    Options -> Preferences -> Fonts

    a.k.a. Ctrl-P -> Fonts

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  3. Re: "Large print" version of xmms?

    In article ,
    cfajohnson@gmail.com (Chris F.A. Johnson) writes:

    > On 2008-07-07, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to get xmms to display its file requesters,
    >> playlists, etc. in a large font?

    > Options -> Preferences -> Fonts
    >
    > a.k.a. Ctrl-P -> Fonts

    Thanks - that made the playlist readable. Also, after a bit of
    googling I came across the control-rightclick trick to change the
    size of fonts in shell windows. Is there a similar bit of magic
    for the file selection widget? Now that I can see what I'm playing,
    I'd like to see what I'm adding to the playlist. I realize that
    that's probably outside of xmms itself - is there a general procedure
    for changing fonts used in X widgets?

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

  4. Re: "Large print" version of xmms?

    On Jul 7, 2:33*pm, "Charlie Gibbs" wrote:
    > I have a Linux box in the living room hooked to our TV. *I haven't
    > gotten my 46-inch LCD TV yet, so the TV is an older model which only
    > has composite, S-Video, and component inputs. *The computer only has
    > VGA, DVI, and composite outputs. *So yes, you guessed it, I have
    > to put up with composite video for now. *This makes displayed text
    > almost impossible to read. *Is there a way to get xmms to display
    > its file requesters, playlists, etc. in a large font? *

    I don't have access to xmms to try this, but you probably can increase
    the fontsize (and/or change the font) by making the appropriate X11
    resource file for it. You'll want something like
    *font: 7x14bold
    in the /etc/X11/app-default/Xmms resource file.

    HTH

  5. Re: "Large print" version of xmms?

    "Charlie Gibbs" writes:

    >> in the /etc/X11/app-default/Xmms resource file.

    > So _that's_ where all that stuff is hiding!

    Not necessarily. On my system (Fedora 9) they're under
    /usr/share/X11/app-defaults.

    > Is there also a place
    > data that's common to everything, like the file selection widgets?
    > What's a good reference to read up on all this stuff?

    You could load a *font with xrdb, but you probably would have other
    problems that way :-)

    -- HASM

  6. Re: "Large print" version of xmms?

    In article
    <0056e0d7-ec28-491e-bf2c-6e128593543b@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
    lpitcher@teksavvy.com (Lew Pitcher) writes:

    > On Jul 7, 2:33*pm, "Charlie Gibbs" wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to get xmms to display its file requesters, playlists,
    >> etc. in a large font? *

    > I don't have access to xmms to try this, but you probably can increase
    > the fontsize (and/or change the font) by making the appropriate X11
    > resource file for it. You'll want something like
    > *font: 7x14bold
    > in the /etc/X11/app-default/Xmms resource file.

    So _that's_ where all that stuff is hiding! Is there also a place
    data that's common to everything, like the file selection widgets?
    What's a good reference to read up on all this stuff?

    > HTH

    It does, thanks.

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)