setting up a server with no screen or keyboard: use X or just ssh? - Setup

This is a discussion on setting up a server with no screen or keyboard: use X or just ssh? - Setup ; Hi In article , Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote: >> but ... I'm intending to put VMware on the box to allow me to have; >> -a couple of totally separate database instances going to test ASM concepts >> - a win2000 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: setting up a server with no screen or keyboard: use X or justssh?

    Hi

    In article <486FA9E2.3020700@gmail.com>, Nico Kadel-Garcia
    wrote:

    >> but ... I'm intending to put VMware on the box to allow me to have;
    >> -a couple of totally separate database instances going to test ASM concepts
    >> - a win2000 'box' to play with remote desktop and perhaps other things

    >Why do you want VMware? If you're not running something oddball, like SCO
    >OpenServer which I'm doing right now, Xen works quite well and is built into

    reading the pages, I think it will not run the win2000 stuff

    no?

    See Ya
    (when bandwidth gets better ;-)

    Chris Eastwood
    Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat
    blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/

    please remove undies for reply

  2. Re: setting up a server with no screen or keyboard: use X or justssh?

    obakesan wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > In article <486FA9E2.3020700@gmail.com>, Nico Kadel-Garcia
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> but ... I'm intending to put VMware on the box to allow me to have;
    >>> -a couple of totally separate database instances going to test ASM concepts
    >>> - a win2000 'box' to play with remote desktop and perhaps other things

    >> Why do you want VMware? If you're not running something oddball, like SCO
    >> OpenServer which I'm doing right now, Xen works quite well and is built into

    > reading the pages, I think it will not run the win2000 stuff
    >
    > no?
    >
    > See Ya
    > (when bandwidth gets better ;-)
    >
    > Chris Eastwood
    > Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat
    > blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/
    >
    > please remove undies for reply

    There are two ways to run Windows in Xen. One is if your motherboard supports
    the hardware virtualization featurs (look them up on Xen source pages). You
    don't get the performance benefit of para-virtualization, but it works well,
    and is a big part of the commercial basis for Xensource's business products.

    The other is to use the new GPL para-virtualization drivers for Windows, which
    I suspect are not stable yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2