Installed Centos 5 on USB Drive - Setup

This is a discussion on Installed Centos 5 on USB Drive - Setup ; I installed Centos 5 on an external usb drive and everything went smoothly but now when I boot without the USB drive attached it displays GRUB in the upper left hand corner and just sits there. If I plug in ...

  1. Installed Centos 5 on USB Drive

    I installed Centos 5 on an external usb drive and everything went
    smoothly but now when I boot without the USB drive attached it
    displays GRUB in the upper left hand corner and just sits there. If I
    plug in the USB drive and tell the computer to boot from the USB drive
    the GRUB boot menu displays and I can select either Centos or my XP
    installation. I don't really need the GRUB loader and need the laptop
    to boot without the USB drive attached. What do I need so either GRUB
    is on the C: drive where my XP is or can I get rid of it and get XP
    just to bootup by default without me having to select boot from USB
    device and selecting the XP.

    Thanks,
    Chris

  2. Re: Installed Centos 5 on USB Drive

    Chris wrote:

    > I installed Centos 5 on an external usb drive and everything went
    > smoothly but now when I boot without the USB drive attached it
    > displays GRUB in the upper left hand corner and just sits there. If I
    > plug in the USB drive and tell the computer to boot from the USB drive
    > the GRUB boot menu displays and I can select either Centos or my XP
    > installation. I don't really need the GRUB loader and need the laptop
    > to boot without the USB drive attached. What do I need so either GRUB
    > is on the C: drive where my XP is or can I get rid of it and get XP
    > just to bootup by default without me having to select boot from USB
    > device and selecting the XP.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris

    Where, exactly, did you install the grub bootloader? On the USB drive,
    which is seen as a SCSI drive? And what is the boot order set for your
    drives in your BIOS? (Removable storage first, internal drive second
    would be good).

    I'm afraid that you put grub on your Windows drive. You're going to
    need to boot into Windows and reset its boot loader manually, or use a
    Windows installation CD if this is hte case, but there are dozens of
    pages like this:

    http://www.chrisburgess.com.au/reins...xp-bootloader/

  3. Re: Installed Centos 5 on USB Drive

    Nico Kadel-Garcia writes:
    > I'm afraid that you put grub on your Windows drive.

    Sounds like he put the Grub bootloader on the Windows drive but the Grub
    second stage on the removable drive.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  4. Re: Installed Centos 5 on USB Drive

    On 2 Jul, 13:03, John Hasler wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia writes:
    > > I'm afraid that you put grub on your Windows drive.

    > Sounds like he put the Grub bootloader on the Windows drive but the Grub
    > second stage on the removable drive.
    > --
    > John Hasler
    > j...@dhh.gt.org
    > Dancing Horse Hill
    > Elmwood, WI USA

    Yes, precisely. This will typically show up in the contents of '/etc/
    grub.conf', which is actually a symlink to /boot/grub/grub.conf. Be
    careful to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf, and reset where it is installed
    to. How to boot Windows on its own, and the Windows drive, after that
    is another story.

    One can usually boot from the removable media by selecting it from the
    BIOS or from the BIOS screen, and leave the Windows system to boot on
    its own by default as appropriate.

+ Reply to Thread