Installing from within windows??? - Setup

This is a discussion on Installing from within windows??? - Setup ; Hi, I have an old laptop (HP Omnibook 6000) that currently has Win2K on it. I want to replace this OS with Kubuntu but am slightly limited seing that the laptop no longer has a CD/DVD drive. What are my ...

  1. Installing from within windows???

    Hi,

    I have an old laptop (HP Omnibook 6000) that currently has Win2K on
    it.
    I want to replace this OS with Kubuntu but am slightly limited seing
    that
    the laptop no longer has a CD/DVD drive.

    What are my options (except for new cd drive etc...) ?

    Thanks,
    Leo

  2. Re: Installing from within windows???

    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  3. Re: Installing from within windows???

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:44:23 -0700, our.spare.account wrote:

    > I have an old laptop (HP Omnibook 6000) that currently has Win2K on it.
    > I want to replace this OS with Kubuntu but am slightly limited seing
    > that
    > the laptop no longer has a CD/DVD drive.
    >
    > What are my options (except for new cd drive etc...) ?

    In lieu of another boot drive like a floppy, your choices are limited.

    If your notebook has a USB port and can boot from it, some Linux distros
    can be installed using a flash drive. But in your situation, the easiest
    thing would be to remove the hard drive, hook it to another system with a
    booting CD/DVD drive, do a partial, but bootable install; reinstall the
    drive, boot, and complete the install over the Internet or a local
    network.

    Linux distros with this option (network install) have detailed
    instructions on their web sites on how to do this. I think Ubuntu (and
    its variants) have this option.

    Stef

  4. Re: Installing from within windows???

    our.spare.account@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have an old laptop (HP Omnibook 6000) that currently has Win2K on
    > it.
    > I want to replace this OS with Kubuntu but am slightly limited seing
    > that
    > the laptop no longer has a CD/DVD drive.
    >
    > What are my options (except for new cd drive etc...) ?

    http://wubi-installer.org/

    Michael

  5. Re: Installing from within windows???

    our.spare.account@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an old laptop (HP Omnibook 6000) that currently has Win2K on
    > it.
    > I want to replace this OS with Kubuntu but am slightly limited seing
    > that
    > the laptop no longer has a CD/DVD drive.
    >
    > What are my options (except for new cd drive etc...) ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Leo

    Hello,

    If you're lucky enough to have a floppy drive and a NIC integrated, you
    could get Debian from the 5 Debian floppies to make a net install. It works
    pretty well if there is enough RAM to get a GUI. Simple DVD+-R(W) slim
    drives beginning at 39 are also a good investment.

    If you can get more than 256 MB RAM it would be perfect to run any XFCE or
    Gnome desktop... KDE is better beginning with 512 MB RAM.

    Ciao @+

  6. Re: Installing from within windows???

    Thanks for all the replies.
    I tried wubi without any luck.

    Finally worked with UNetbootin - did exactly what I wanted!

+ Reply to Thread