centos 5.1 installation - Setup

This is a discussion on centos 5.1 installation - Setup ; I'm trying to install Centos 5.1 on an external USB drive. I have 17 gigs free space, 2 gigs ext2, 420 gig of personal data. I've backed up the personal data incase anything goes wrong. During installation it allows me ...

  1. centos 5.1 installation

    I'm trying to install Centos 5.1 on an external USB drive. I have 17
    gigs free space, 2 gigs ext2, 420 gig of personal data. I've backed
    up the personal data incase anything goes wrong. During installation
    it allows me to pick the USB hard drive but then I get a warning
    message "You have chosen to remove all Linux partitions (and ALL DATA
    on them) on the following drives. /dev/sda. Is this just going to
    search for Linux partitions and erase the data on them or will it
    delete all data from the hard drive. I'm hoping for the Centos
    installation just to use the free space and ext2 partitions. The free
    space is for the installation and the ext2 would be for the Swap.

    Thanks for the help,
    Pete

  2. Re: centos 5.1 installation

    Peter wrote:
    > During installation
    > it allows me to pick the USB hard drive but then I get a warning
    > message "You have chosen to remove all Linux partitions (and ALL DATA
    > on them) on the following drives. /dev/sda. Is this just going to
    > search for Linux partitions and erase the data on them or will it
    > delete all data from the hard drive.

    It does exactly what the message says: it removes all Linux partitions
    and all data on those partitions. If you have Windows (NTFS or FAT) or
    some other OS partitions they will be left untouched, but the partition
    numbers/Windows drive letters may change.

    > I'm hoping for the Centos
    > installation just to use the free space and ext2 partitions.

    Then choose a different partitioning option, such as "Use free space"
    or "Create custom layout". See:
    http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5....setup-x86.html

    > The free
    > space is for the installation and the ext2 would be for the Swap.

    Swap is its own partition type, you can't use ext2 for swap space
    (unless you manually set up a swap file on that partition).

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  3. Re: centos 5.1 installation

    Peter wrote:
    > I'm trying to install Centos 5.1 on an external USB drive. I have 17
    > gigs free space, 2 gigs ext2, 420 gig of personal data. I've backed
    > up the personal data incase anything goes wrong. During installation
    > it allows me to pick the USB hard drive but then I get a warning
    > message "You have chosen to remove all Linux partitions (and ALL DATA
    > on them) on the following drives. /dev/sda. Is this just going to
    > search for Linux partitions and erase the data on them or will it
    > delete all data from the hard drive. I'm hoping for the Centos
    > installation just to use the free space and ext2 partitions. The free
    > space is for the installation and the ext2 would be for the Swap.

    It is going to erase everything and create new partitions. You need to create
    open space with a partitioning tool like parted first.

    Out of curiosity, where did you back up 420 gigs so casually? If it was to
    another usb drive, why not install on that one?

    Don't know from Centos but if you can, switch to ext3. It does not have the
    eternally long "check forced" actions when there is an abnormal system
    termination like with a power drop.

    --
    Iraqis are being held responsible for the actions of the dictator Saddam
    Hussein. Are not the voters in a democracy equally responsible for all the

+ Reply to Thread