yum upgrade problems - Setup

This is a discussion on yum upgrade problems - Setup ; A question came up over a month ago which has disappeared from my local news spool. It was with regard to conflicting packages at which point yum would find an error and exit INSTEAD OF upgrading/updating everything but the conflict. ...

  1. yum upgrade problems

    A question came up over a month ago which has disappeared from my local news
    spool. It was with regard to conflicting packages at which point yum would
    find an error and exit INSTEAD OF upgrading/updating everything but the
    conflict. The words in caps are a hint to yum developers.

    I do not recall which newsgroup I read it in so I post to the three I read.

    Anyway I was having the same problem and was simply doing piecemeal selective
    upgrades of packages that did not involve the conflict. I finally paid
    attention to yum messages.

    The solution which is hardly clever at all is to use the --exclude option in
    yum as follows in a script.

    # yum --exclude=pango* --exclude=libexif* --exclude=openldap* -y upgrade
    yum --exclude=NetworkManager* --exclude=curl* -y upgrade

    Originally my problem was pango. Currently it is NetworkManager and curl.

    With this script it has upgraded everything but the problem packages without
    further intervention.

  2. Re: yum upgrade problems

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > A question came up over a month ago which has disappeared from my
    > local news spool. It was with regard to conflicting packages at which
    > point yum would find an error and exit INSTEAD OF upgrading/updating
    > everything but the conflict. The words in caps are a hint to yum
    > developers.
    >
    > I do not recall which newsgroup I read it in so I post to the three
    > I read.
    >
    > Anyway I was having the same problem and was simply doing piecemeal
    > selective upgrades of packages that did not involve the conflict. I
    > finally paid attention to yum messages.
    >
    > The solution which is hardly clever at all is to use the --exclude
    > option in yum as follows in a script.
    >
    > # yum --exclude=pango* --exclude=libexif* --exclude=openldap* -y upgrade
    > yum --exclude=NetworkManager* --exclude=curl* -y upgrade
    >
    > Originally my problem was pango. Currently it is NetworkManager and
    > curl.
    >
    > With this script it has upgraded everything but the problem packages
    > without further intervention.

    * * * Cross posted reply * * *

    Hello Matt:

    That might have been my post about a problem I called "Dependency
    Hell" in the subject, and I encountered this when upgrading my Red
    Hat Kitanga from RHEL5.1 to RHEL5.2

    One of the posts, in reply to that problem, was to uninstall the
    offending RPMs and then yum install. At the time, it seemed too risky
    as the file involved no less than 31 dependencies, and therefore
    seemed too drastic. But after one week's casual research, (and
    agonizing) I arrived at the same answer.

    Several times since then, I have encountered similar instances, but on
    a smaller dependency scale. I believe that in all cases since then, a
    'devel' RPM stood in the way of a base RPM update. So I would simply
    do a manual download of all files involved and then do a:

    # rpm -e --nodeps rpmtobe.updated /including/ the devel RPM, then:
    # rpm -ivh *.* using all the new downloads

    I'm acquiring more courage (recklessness) while retaining nearly all
    of my stupidity as I practice this. ;-) I followed this procedure
    yesterday to accommodate the *freetype* security update from RHN that
    failed to deal with its companion 'devel' RPM then present in my
    system.

    I have just as many reservations with your new found technique as with
    mine. I'm afraid I'll leave something undone, or worse. Yum is nice
    but more work is obvious here.

    My best to you sir.

    --
    1PW

  3. Re: yum upgrade problems

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > A question came up over a month ago which has disappeared from my
    > local news spool. It was with regard to conflicting packages at which
    > point yum would find an error and exit INSTEAD OF upgrading/updating
    > everything but the conflict. The words in caps are a hint to yum
    > developers.

    It isn't that easy. If the package manager were to proceed in the face of
    error conditions it could hose your system. The developers have taken the
    cautious approach by exiting and bringing the problem to your attention for
    manual intervention.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  4. Re: yum upgrade problems

    1PW wrote:
    > Matt Giwer wrote:
    >> A question came up over a month ago which has disappeared from my
    >> local news spool. It was with regard to conflicting packages at which
    >> point yum would find an error and exit INSTEAD OF upgrading/updating
    >> everything but the conflict. The words in caps are a hint to yum
    >> developers.
    >>
    >> I do not recall which newsgroup I read it in so I post to the
    >> three I read.
    >>
    >> Anyway I was having the same problem and was simply doing
    >> piecemeal selective upgrades of packages that did not involve the
    >> conflict. I finally paid attention to yum messages.
    >>
    >> The solution which is hardly clever at all is to use the --exclude
    >> option in yum as follows in a script.
    >>
    >> # yum --exclude=pango* --exclude=libexif* --exclude=openldap* -y upgrade
    >> yum --exclude=NetworkManager* --exclude=curl* -y upgrade
    >>
    >> Originally my problem was pango. Currently it is NetworkManager
    >> and curl.
    >>
    >> With this script it has upgraded everything but the problem
    >> packages without further intervention.

    > * * * Cross posted reply * * *
    >
    > Hello Matt:
    >
    > That might have been my post about a problem I called "Dependency
    > Hell" in the subject, and I encountered this when upgrading my Red
    > Hat Kitanga from RHEL5.1 to RHEL5.2
    >
    > One of the posts, in reply to that problem, was to uninstall the
    > offending RPMs and then yum install. At the time, it seemed too risky
    > as the file involved no less than 31 dependencies, and therefore
    > seemed too drastic. But after one week's casual research, (and
    > agonizing) I arrived at the same answer.
    >
    > Several times since then, I have encountered similar instances, but on
    > a smaller dependency scale. I believe that in all cases since then, a
    > 'devel' RPM stood in the way of a base RPM update. So I would simply
    > do a manual download of all files involved and then do a:
    >
    > # rpm -e --nodeps rpmtobe.updated /including/ the devel RPM, then:
    > # rpm -ivh *.* using all the new downloads

    Thank you. I have not found a way to do other than never upgrade the --excludes

    > I'm acquiring more courage (recklessness) while retaining nearly all
    > of my stupidity as I practice this. ;-) I followed this procedure
    > yesterday to accommodate the *freetype* security update from RHN that
    > failed to deal with its companion 'devel' RPM then present in my
    > system.

    > I have just as many reservations with your new found technique as with
    > mine. I'm afraid I'll leave something undone, or worse. Yum is nice
    > but more work is obvious here.

    So far I have found it errs on the side of extreme caution but maybe it is
    just trying to lull me into a false sense of confidence before it strikes.

    In preparation for the worst I have all my /home/me/ files on a USB drive
    with symlinks in the me directory. They are so damned cheap these days I don't
    know why I didn't think of it sooner.

    --
    You cannot believe torture works without believing in witches.
    The problem is most Neocons do believe in witches.

  5. Re: yum upgrade problems

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > 1PW wrote:
    >> Matt Giwer wrote:

    snip...snip

    > So far I have found it errs on the side of extreme caution but maybe
    > it is just trying to lull me into a false sense of confidence before it
    > strikes.
    >
    > In preparation for the worst I have all my /home/me/ files on a USB
    > drive with symlinks in the me directory. They are so damned cheap these
    > days I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

    Spoken like someone who's been wounded before. Very wise.

    Best wishes to you.
    --
    1PW

    @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]