Serial Port - Setup

This is a discussion on Serial Port - Setup ; Hi, I have an external device that sends data through a serial port. We used to check the communication on a windows machine by using a hyper terminal connection- COM. Now I have shifted that PC to Kubuntu, and need ...

  1. Serial Port

    Hi,
    I have an external device that sends data through a serial port. We
    used to check the communication on a windows machine by using a hyper
    terminal connection- COM. Now I have shifted that PC to Kubuntu, and
    need to establish a similar serial port communication. Any pointers
    would be useful.
    Thanks in advance
    Vivek

  2. Re: Serial Port

    slashman wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have an external device that sends data through a serial port. We
    > used to check the communication on a windows machine by using a hyper
    > terminal connection- COM. Now I have shifted that PC to Kubuntu, and
    > need to establish a similar serial port communication. Any pointers
    > would be useful.
    > Thanks in advance
    > Vivek

    Kermit is the *best*, historically. The licenses for it are a bit odd, but its
    terminal emulation is good, its flexibility and documentation is very
    complete, and it gives great error messages.

    Other than that, minicom is very lightweight but takes time to set up at first.

+ Reply to Thread