Evolution as newsreader - Setup

This is a discussion on Evolution as newsreader - Setup ; Does anyone else use Evolution to read Usenet? I'm having terrible difficulty with it: 1. It doesn't seem to have a full list of newsgroups. For instance, when I click to expand the list of groups under alt, there's just ...

  1. Evolution as newsreader

    Does anyone else use Evolution to read Usenet? I'm having terrible
    difficulty with it:

    1. It doesn't seem to have a full list of newsgroups. For instance, when I
    click to expand the list of groups under alt, there's just a line that says
    Clicking "Refresh" does nothing. Does anyone know a way to force Evolution
    to re-fetch the list of newsgroups from the server?

    2. Some newsgroups are not updating - they just get "stuck" at a certain
    date, and Evolution sees/fetches no more articles. I know there are more
    articles in the groups on the server, because I can see them with OE. Again,
    is there a solution to this? I've tried deleting and re-creating the Usenet
    account, but it seems to remember all the groups and articles, including the
    sticking points. Does anyone know a way to completely re-set this?

    I guess I could purge Evolution and reinstall it, but I'd rather not do that
    if possible. It's working fine as a mail and PIM client.

    CC

  2. Re: Evolution as newsreader

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:26:19 +0100, Magnate wrote:

    > Does anyone else use Evolution to read Usenet? I'm having terrible
    > difficulty with it:

    Evolution is a pretty good mail client. It's a lousy news client.

    If you're already using Gnome, Pan is a good match to the environment.

  3. Re: Evolution as newsreader

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:26:19 +0100, Magnate wrote:

    > I guess I could purge Evolution and reinstall it, but I'd rather not do that
    > if possible. It's working fine as a mail and PIM client.

    It's a good email client, but it sucks badly with newsgroups.

    Use a real newsreader. I recommend Pan.

    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Kanga sneezed in his honey pot.

  4. Re: Evolution as newsreader

    Magnate wrote:
    > Does anyone else use Evolution to read Usenet? I'm having terrible
    > difficulty with it:
    >
    > 1. It doesn't seem to have a full list of newsgroups. For instance, when I
    > click to expand the list of groups under alt, there's just a line that says
    > Clicking "Refresh" does nothing. Does anyone know a way to force Evolution
    > to re-fetch the list of newsgroups from the server?
    >
    > 2. Some newsgroups are not updating - they just get "stuck" at a certain
    > date, and Evolution sees/fetches no more articles. I know there are more
    > articles in the groups on the server, because I can see them with OE. Again,
    > is there a solution to this? I've tried deleting and re-creating the Usenet
    > account, but it seems to remember all the groups and articles, including the
    > sticking points. Does anyone know a way to completely re-set this?
    >
    > I guess I could purge Evolution and reinstall it, but I'd rather not do that
    > if possible. It's working fine as a mail and PIM client.
    >
    > CC

    Hm.. I don`t use Evolution, but u can use Thunderbird as mail && news
    clinet(also u can use it to read rss)

  5. Re: Evolution as newsreader

    Magnate illuminated comp.os.linux.setup by typing:
    > Does anyone else use Evolution to read Usenet? I'm having terrible
    > difficulty with it:
    >
    > 1. It doesn't seem to have a full list of newsgroups. For instance, when I
    > click to expand the list of groups under alt, there's just a line that says
    > Clicking "Refresh" does nothing. Does anyone know a way to force Evolution
    > to re-fetch the list of newsgroups from the server?
    >
    > 2. Some newsgroups are not updating - they just get "stuck" at a certain
    > date, and Evolution sees/fetches no more articles. I know there are more
    > articles in the groups on the server, because I can see them with OE. Again,
    > is there a solution to this? I've tried deleting and re-creating the Usenet
    > account, but it seems to remember all the groups and articles, including the
    > sticking points. Does anyone know a way to completely re-set this?
    >
    > I guess I could purge Evolution and reinstall it, but I'd rather not do that
    > if possible. It's working fine as a mail and PIM client.

    I think you've already had a couple of pointers about Evolution as an
    NNTP client.

    I have it set up to read from news.individual.net, and it is pretty
    flaky at both article downloads and also group listing.

    As others have done, I recomend looking elsewhere.

    There are a myriad of differing clients you can use.

    Here are just a few

    1) Claws mail
    2) Sylpheed
    3) Thunderbird
    4) Pan
    5) Knode (needs some KDE libs)
    6) slrn (terminal news reader)
    7) Gnus (terminal news reader)

    One of them may suit you more than another. I suggest you try them
    until you find one that *you* like. It is all about personal
    preference.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

+ Reply to Thread