Booting off USB drive / old pc with USB FDD support - Setup

This is a discussion on Booting off USB drive / old pc with USB FDD support - Setup ; I'm trying to boot off a live/persistant Kubuntu USB key on an old machine which has "boot from USB FDD" support. The Kubuntu USB drive boots and runs fine on my normal PC. The USB FDD bootup is selected on ...

  1. Booting off USB drive / old pc with USB FDD support

    I'm trying to boot off a live/persistant Kubuntu USB key on an old
    machine which has "boot from USB FDD" support. The Kubuntu USB drive
    boots and runs fine on my normal PC.

    The USB FDD bootup is selected on bootup and USB/FDD Emulation is
    turned on in the BIOS (I tried with it off as well). It refuses to
    detect the drive. Is there some way of making it think that this
    device is a FDD? I don't have a USB FDD to test that the USB FDD
    support really works. I have the latest BIOS.

    Otherwise, I guess that I'll need to use the live CD with USB drive
    persistance. I want to be portable.. but would rather only need to
    carry around and rely on one item and not two (CD / USB drive).

    It also seemed that booting USB drive was slower than the CD...

    Thanks

  2. Re: Booting off USB drive / old pc with USB FDD support

    danr_18@yahoo.com schrieb:

    > The USB FDD bootup is selected on bootup and USB/FDD Emulation is
    > turned on in the BIOS (I tried with it off as well). It refuses to
    > detect the drive.

    I encountered this problem myself, too. No solution, so far :-(

    DoDi

  3. Re: Booting off USB drive / old pc with USB FDD support

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 05:09:03 -0700, danr_18@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I'm trying to boot off a live/persistant Kubuntu USB key on an old
    > machine which has "boot from USB FDD" support. The Kubuntu USB drive
    > boots and runs fine on my normal PC.
    >

    > The USB FDD bootup is selected on bootup and USB/FDD Emulation is
    > turned on in the BIOS (I tried with it off as well). It refuses to
    > detect the drive. Is there some way of making it think that this
    > device is a FDD? I don't have a USB FDD to test that the USB FDD
    > support really works. I have the latest BIOS.

    Is there an option to specify USB HD?

    > Otherwise, I guess that I'll need to use the live CD with USB drive
    > persistance. I want to be portable.. but would rather only need to
    > carry around and rely on one item and not two (CD / USB drive).
    >
    > It also seemed that booting USB drive was slower than the CD...

    USB 1.1 is likely to be somewhat slow. Newer laptops have USB 2.0 support.

    > Thanks

    Note: Comments inline.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  4. Re: Booting off USB drive / old pc with USB FDD support

    Nope only USB Floppy.

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread