How to format MSdos on diskette? - Setup

This is a discussion on How to format MSdos on diskette? - Setup ; Hallo All, Sometimes I feel the need to use an MSdos formatted diskette to take data to an other system [usualy non-Linx]. This morning I found out that since last time I tried it [quite some time ago], the mkfs.msdos ...

  1. How to format MSdos on diskette?

    Hallo All,

    Sometimes I feel the need to use an MSdos formatted diskette to
    take data to an other system [usualy non-Linx].
    This morning I found out that since last time I tried it [quite
    some time ago], the mkfs.msdos utility has disappeared.
    Now, how do I make an MSdos file system on a diskette?
    I'm currenty using the SlackWare 12.1 distribution, if that
    matters.

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

  2. Re: How to format MSdos on diskette?

    Johannes Beekhuizen wrote:

    > Hallo All,
    >
    > Sometimes I feel the need to use an MSdos formatted diskette to
    > take data to an other system [usualy non-Linx].
    > This morning I found out that since last time I tried it [quite
    > some time ago], the mkfs.msdos utility has disappeared.
    > Now, how do I make an MSdos file system on a diskette?
    > I'm currenty using the SlackWare 12.1 distribution, if that
    > matters.
    >
    > Groeten,
    >
    > Hans.
    >
    > jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

    Hi Hans!

    Did you try to access mkfs.msdos as root? On Debian, that's
    the way. Maybe Slackware is like that too.

    Roby

  3. Re: How to format MSdos on diskette?

    Install the mtools package. Debian still has it so it seems likely that
    Slackware does as well.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  4. Re: How to format MSdos on diskette?

    Hallo Roby,

    Op maandag 16 juni 2008 schreef Roby aan All:

    >> Now, how do I make an MSdos file system on a diskette?

    Ro> Did you try to access mkfs.msdos as root? On Debian, that's
    Ro> the way. Maybe Slackware is like that too.

    Yes, I did. It used to be necessary under SlackWare as well.
    The thing is that mkfs.msdos seems not to exist any more.

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

  5. Re: How to format MSdos on diskette?

    Hallo John,

    Op maandag 16 juni 2008 schreef John Hasler aan All:

    JH> Install the mtools package. Debian still has it so it seems
    JH> likely that Slackware does as well.

    OK. That was hidden together with fdutils in the "floppy" package.
    It has not got mkfs.msdos, but superformat, which also does the
    job. Now I wonder why I discarded superformat a long time ago and
    changed to fdformat with mfs.msdos...
    But anyway, I can proceed now. Thank you very much!

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

  6. Re: How to format MSdos on diskette?

    Em Segunda, 16 de Junho de 2008 12:55, Johannes Beekhuizen escreveu:

    > Hallo All,
    >
    > Sometimes I feel the need to use an MSdos formatted diskette to
    > take data to an other system [usualy non-Linx].
    > This morning I found out that since last time I tried it [quite
    > some time ago], the mkfs.msdos utility has disappeared.
    > Now, how do I make an MSdos file system on a diskette?
    > I'm currenty using the SlackWare 12.1 distribution, if that
    > matters.

    if you're using KDE, just use kfloppy

  7. Re: How to format MSdos on diskette?

    In comp.os.linux.setup, Johannes Beekhuizen wrote:

    > Hallo Roby,
    >
    > Op maandag 16 juni 2008 schreef Roby aan All:
    >
    > >> Now, how do I make an MSdos file system on a diskette?

    > Ro> Did you try to access mkfs.msdos as root? On Debian, that's
    > Ro> the way. Maybe Slackware is like that too.
    >
    > Yes, I did. It used to be necessary under SlackWare as well.
    > The thing is that mkfs.msdos seems not to exist any more.

    Well, yes and no.

    If you symlink /sbin/mkfs.msdos to /sbin/mkdosfs, "mkfs -t msdos" works as
    expected. You see, /sbin/mkdosfs /is/ the mkfs.msdos utility.

    For Slackware 12.1, you'll find /sbin/mkdosfs in the dosfstools-2.11-i486-1
    package in the slackware/a directory of your install media.

    (Perhaps someone should ask Pat V to add a symlink step into the install
    script for the util-linux-ng package so that this problem doesn't occur as
    frequently as it does)

    HTH
    --
    Lew Pitcher

  8. Re: How to format MSdos on diskette?

    Hallo ArameFarpado,

    Op maandag 16 juni 2008 schreef ArameFarpado aan All:

    >> how do I make an MSdos file system on a diskette?

    Ar> if you're using KDE, just use kfloppy

    If all else would have failed I would have tried that. I have
    problems reading a graphical environment, even at maximum
    enlargement.

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

  9. Re: How to format MSdos on diskette?

    Hallo Lew,

    Op dinsdag 17 juni 2008 schreef Lew Pitcher aan All:

    >> Yes, I did. It used to be necessary under SlackWare as well.
    >> The thing is that mkfs.msdos seems not to exist any more.

    LP> Well, yes and no.

    LP> If you symlink /sbin/mkfs.msdos to /sbin/mkdosfs, "mkfs -t
    LP> msdos" works as expected. You see, /sbin/mkdosfs /is/ the
    LP> mkfs.msdos utility.

    I found mkdosfs late last night. And your symlink is a good
    idea; now that works again as it used to. I've made a note
    so that I remember next time I run out of formattes diskettes:
    that will probably be under a new release of SlackWare

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

  10. Re: How to format MSdos on diskette?

    On Jun 17, 7:46*am, "Johannes Beekhuizen"
    wrote:
    > Hallo ArameFarpado,
    >
    > Op maandag 16 juni 2008 schreef ArameFarpado aan All:
    >
    > *>> how do I make an MSdos file system on a diskette?
    > *Ar> if you're using KDE, just use kfloppy
    >
    > If all else would have failed I would have tried that. I have
    > problems reading a graphical environment, even at maximum
    > enlargement.
    >
    > Groeten,
    >
    > * * * * * *Hans.
    >
    > jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

    Good that you've found a solution. You seem to have skipped over the
    note to use 'mtools'. I''ve found mtools tremendously faster for
    floppy manipulation, for years.As near as I can tell, the filesystem
    and utilities for dealing with floppies as a full, mountable file
    system are just more powerful than the average use needs, and mtools
    limited capabilities capture almost anything sane you'd want to do
    with a floppy.

+ Reply to Thread