Gang,

I have recently purchased a new laptop from Dell (Inspiron
1525). I am in the IT field so I use Windows XP so that I can help
customers with issues. I have worked with Linux for several years
using Debian, but decided to give Kubuntu a try. The laptop came with
Vista and I know that it will eventually replace XP in the work
environment. As a result, I would like to install all three operating
systems. I installed XP then Vista, then Kubuntu and during each
installation of an OS, I created copies of the mbr just incase. After
I installed Kubuntu, I can no longer boot into either version of
Windows without replacing the mbr from the Vista install. At that
point I can only boot into the versions of Windows (tried adjusting
the boot.ini to boot the dd image of the Kubuntu install, but no go)
and not Kubuntu. Something I found odd, was that when I replace the
mbr with either of the Windows images, I can read the mbr just fine
using cfdisk, but when I replace it with the Kubuntu image, I get an
error message that prevents me from reading it. I will paste the
contents of the Windows Vista mbr below along with my grub stanza's.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Henderson

cfdisk (util-linux-ng 2.13.1)

Disk Drive: /dev/sda
Size: 160041885696 bytes, 160.0 GB
Heads: 255 Sectors per Track: 63 Cylinders: 19457

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label]
Size (MB)

sda1 Primary Hidden FAT16 <32M
74.03
sda2 Primary NTFS []
29997.60
sda3 Boot Primary NTFS []
29997.60
sda5 Logical Linux
64971.49
sda6 Boot Logical Linux ext3
29997.60
sda7 Logical Linux swap / Solaris
5000.98

sda2 if Vista, sda3 is XP, sda5 will become a FAT32 partition for
sharing between all the OS'es. below are my grub stanza's.

title Windows Vista
root (hd0,1)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

title Windows XP
root (hd0,2)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

If I select the Vista option from the grub menu, it tells me the
bootldr can't be found. Selecting the Windows XP loads the Vista
bootloader (it appears Vista installed it on the XP partition for some
reason).