Two versions of wine - Setup

This is a discussion on Two versions of wine - Setup ; How might one go about installing a second, older, version of Wine on one's system? I'm not sure how to do this as "make install" will replace my current version, which I do not want. Is this possible? I do ...

  1. Two versions of wine

    How might one go about installing a second, older, version of Wine on
    one's system?

    I'm not sure how to do this as "make install" will replace my current
    version, which I do not want.

    Is this possible? I do not want the two Wine versions to mess with each
    other's config files.

    Currently running Wine 1.0-rc4 on Ubuntu Hardy.

    TIA

  2. Re: Two versions of wine

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > How might one go about installing a second, older, version of Wine on
    > one's system?
    >
    > I'm not sure how to do this as "make install" will replace my current
    > version, which I do not want.
    >
    > Is this possible? I do not want the two Wine versions to mess with each
    > other's config files.
    >
    > Currently running Wine 1.0-rc4 on Ubuntu Hardy.
    >
    > TIA

    OK, so I'm slow, I found "man wine" which makes it look /fairly/ simple.
    Has anyone had any success doing this?

  3. Re: Two versions of wine

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> How might one go about installing a second, older, version of Wine on
    >> one's system?
    >>
    >> I'm not sure how to do this as "make install" will replace my current
    >> version, which I do not want.
    >>
    >> Is this possible? I do not want the two Wine versions to mess with
    >> each other's config files.
    >>
    >> Currently running Wine 1.0-rc4 on Ubuntu Hardy.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > OK, so I'm slow, I found "man wine" which makes it look /fairly/ simple.
    > Has anyone had any success doing this?

    Although I can see how to set separate config folders, I still can't see
    how to "install" a second version without hurting the original.
    There must be a way!

  4. Re: Two versions of wine

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> OK, so I'm slow, I found "man wine" which makes it look /fairly/ simple.
    >> Has anyone had any success doing this?

    > Although I can see how to set separate config folders, I still can't see
    > how to "install" a second version without hurting the original.
    > There must be a way!

    check the ./configure options with --help
    There's usually a selection of options ending in dir allowing you to setup
    the directories where the final make install will put everything.

    So, if the default install is in /usr/local (which is the one you don't want
    to get squished), you could try putting the new one in /opt

    | in |good to you so far... |

  5. Re: Two versions of wine

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>> OK, so I'm slow, I found "man wine" which makes it look /fairly/ simple.
    >>> Has anyone had any success doing this?

    >> Although I can see how to set separate config folders, I still can't see
    >> how to "install" a second version without hurting the original.
    >> There must be a way!

    > check the ./configure options with --help
    > There's usually a selection of options ending in dir allowing you to setup
    > the directories where the final make install will put everything.
    >
    > So, if the default install is in /usr/local (which is the one you don't want
    > to get squished), you could try putting the new one in /opt

    Hi, thanks for that. --prefix seems to be the option.

    Thank you very much. :-)

+ Reply to Thread