How are users indicated by gdm ?? - Setup

This is a discussion on How are users indicated by gdm ?? - Setup ; Dear all, This is Lenny with gnome. My system is giving me some headaches for the past months. From [graphical] gdmsetup, I cannot decide which users should appear at connexion time, and how (which icon). Just now, *no* users appear ...

  1. How are users indicated by gdm ??

    Dear all,

    This is Lenny with gnome. My system is giving
    me some headaches for the past months.

    From [graphical] gdmsetup, I cannot decide which users
    should appear at connexion time, and how (which icon).
    Just now, *no* users appear in gdmsetup, while
    they are five of them shown at connexion time, three
    with icons (how did I ever manage that ???)
    and two without.

    I gather that I missed a step during one of my
    upgrades/sys-upgrades ...
    Any idea to fix that?
    Best,
    Amities,
    Olivier

  2. Re: How are users indicated by gdm ??

    Olivier schrieb:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > This is Lenny with gnome. My system is giving
    > me some headaches for the past months.
    >
    > From [graphical] gdmsetup, I cannot decide which users
    > should appear at connexion time, and how (which icon).
    > Just now, *no* users appear in gdmsetup, while
    > they are five of them shown at connexion time, three
    > with icons (how did I ever manage that ???)
    > and two without.
    >
    > I gather that I missed a step during one of my
    > upgrades/sys-upgrades ...
    > Any idea to fix that?
    > Best,
    > Amities,
    > Olivier

    Bonjours Olivier,

    are you talking about the logon screen with a user-list?

    I tried that with Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron - that includes Gnome 2.22.x

    Menu: system -->system administration --> logon screen --> tab local
    (German: lokal) -->select for type: graphical with user-list (German:
    grafisch mit Benutzeralbum) - select here a theme with a user-list
    Then go to the tab user (German: Benutzer) and select the user IDs to
    include (if not to take all from /etc/passwd (-->see checkbox 'include
    all user IDs from /etc/passwd' (German: Alle Benutzer aus /etc/passwd
    einbeziehen).

    Hopefully that works.
    Best regards,
    Johannes