Searching for Linux Laptop - Setup

This is a discussion on Searching for Linux Laptop - Setup ; I work as a Project Manager in an organization where Vista and MS Office are the official standard and I need to be compliant (while in a work setting). I prefer to co-exist in a Linux and Windows environment so ...

  1. Searching for Linux Laptop

    I work as a Project Manager in an organization where Vista and MS
    Office are the official standard and I need to be compliant (while in
    a work setting). I prefer to co-exist in a Linux and Windows
    environment so that I can become more family with open source software
    and advances in cloud computing.

    The Linux laptop solution that I am looking for has the following
    requirements:

    a) Vista is installed.
    b) Since I have already purchased a number of applications, besides MS
    Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), that run on top of Windows
    XP, I would prefer to run these apps either via virtualization or Code
    Weavers' Crossover Linux (http://www.codeweavers.com/products).
    c) Default booting is a version of Linux (SUSE, Ubuntu, other) and
    connected to the Internet (via a wifi or wired network)
    d) At my work environment, I have to join the domain (corporate
    network), which I am not sure has to be via Vista only.
    e) Enhance my personal productivity at work (where I am running Vista)
    while still taking advantage of running applications (referred to in
    point b above).
    f) Laptop can be new or refurbished.

    Any pointers to service providers in the Seattle area is greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks for any guidance.

    Ramu

  2. Re: Searching for Linux Laptop

    Ramu writes:

    >I work as a Project Manager in an organization where Vista and MS
    >Office are the official standard and I need to be compliant (while in
    >a work setting). I prefer to co-exist in a Linux and Windows
    >environment so that I can become more family with open source software
    >and advances in cloud computing.

    >The Linux laptop solution that I am looking for has the following
    >requirements:

    >a) Vista is installed.

    Vista really is not worth it, but most laptops come with vista installed
    these days.

    Just by it, use the disk resizer in vista ( they now come with one) to make
    room for Linux, and install your favourite version of Linux.

    >b) Since I have already purchased a number of applications, besides MS
    >Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), that run on top of Windows
    >XP, I would prefer to run these apps either via virtualization or Code
    >Weavers' Crossover Linux (http://www.codeweavers.com/products).

    Why not run them in Vista?

    >c) Default booting is a version of Linux (SUSE, Ubuntu, other) and
    >connected to the Internet (via a wifi or wired network)

    trivial. Using either lilo or grub, just make Linux the default.

    >d) At my work environment, I have to join the domain (corporate
    >network), which I am not sure has to be via Vista only.

    I am sure it does not.

    >e) Enhance my personal productivity at work (where I am running Vista)
    >while still taking advantage of running applications (referred to in
    >point b above).

    Since we have no idea what your "personal productivity" is, noone can
    answer. Your job may be to code stuff for Vista, or write macros for MS
    Word. That would probably be best done on a Windows machine.

    >f) Laptop can be new or refurbished.

    >Any pointers to service providers in the Seattle area is greatly
    >appreciated.

    >Thanks for any guidance.

    >Ramu

  3. Re: Searching for Linux Laptop

    Ramu wrote:
    > I work as a Project Manager in an organization where Vista and MS
    > Office are the official standard and I need to be compliant (while in
    > a work setting). I prefer to co-exist in a Linux and Windows
    > environment so that I can become more family with open source software
    > and advances in cloud computing.
    >
    > The Linux laptop solution that I am looking for has the following
    > requirements:
    >
    > a) Vista is installed.
    > b) Since I have already purchased a number of applications, besides MS
    > Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), that run on top of Windows
    > XP, I would prefer to run these apps either via virtualization or Code
    > Weavers' Crossover Linux (http://www.codeweavers.com/products).
    > c) Default booting is a version of Linux (SUSE, Ubuntu, other) and
    > connected to the Internet (via a wifi or wired network)
    > d) At my work environment, I have to join the domain (corporate
    > network), which I am not sure has to be via Vista only.
    > e) Enhance my personal productivity at work (where I am running Vista)
    > while still taking advantage of running applications (referred to in
    > point b above).
    > f) Laptop can be new or refurbished.

    I bought my wife a Dell Latitude D630... does all of the above.
    However, she never really boots up the Vista side, that's there
    primarily for my own troubleshooting. Runs openSUSE 10.3.

    D630, Nvidia NVS 135m, Dell Wifi (I'd choose Intel... you can
    make the Dell one work ok with ndiswrapper though... if you know
    how to do that), 2G ram, T7700, 120G disk, fingerprint reader (which
    does work with gdm, but not with kdm without some effort).

    Oh.. I don't have MS Project, and the version of MS Office
    is 2003 (I don't think CrossOver supports much later than that).
    She also has an XP image running as a VMware guest (she used
    to teach MS Office).

    Laptop has compiz-fusion enabled and works perfectly. Very
    fast for such a small device.

  4. Re: Searching for Linux Laptop

    Ramu schrieb:

    > I work as a Project Manager in an organization where Vista and MS
    > Office are the official standard and I need to be compliant (while in
    > a work setting). I prefer to co-exist in a Linux and Windows
    > environment so that I can become more family with open source software
    > and advances in cloud computing.
    >
    > The Linux laptop solution that I am looking for has the following
    > requirements:
    >
    > a) Vista is installed.

    I'd use the OS, as shipped with the machine. Often a bunch of machine
    specific drivers is required, which are not necessarily available for a
    third-party OS. With regards to e.g. TV cards, Linux drivers are *years*
    behind the current vendor-supplied Windows drivers and software.

    > b) Since I have already purchased a number of applications, besides MS
    > Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), that run on top of Windows
    > XP, I would prefer to run these apps either via virtualization or Code
    > Weavers' Crossover Linux (http://www.codeweavers.com/products).

    I use VMWare to run multiple systems on my desktop. When you install
    your software in dedicated VMs, you can use these VMs on any (supported)
    host system.

    > c) Default booting is a version of Linux (SUSE, Ubuntu, other) and
    > connected to the Internet (via a wifi or wired network)
    > d) At my work environment, I have to join the domain (corporate
    > network), which I am not sure has to be via Vista only.

    When the environment is based on Vista, I'd prefer the same for the host
    system, and use Linux in a VM or as a dual-boot option. My experience
    with both Vista and Linux on my desktop is, that both systems can be
    affected by updates, which in the case of the (shipped) Vista only
    affect the usability of the installed software and data, whereas the
    Linux updates can affect the accessibility of the hardware. I'd suggest
    frequent system backups, or both a patched and an unpatched version of
    the bootable systems, so that the machine will be usable even after
    problems that have been introduced by updates.

    > e) Enhance my personal productivity at work (where I am running Vista)
    > while still taking advantage of running applications (referred to in
    > point b above).
    > f) Laptop can be new or refurbished.

    If you want to get an Linux laptop, make sure that the manufacturers of
    all components provide full Linux support. A reseller can provide
    services for the shipped state of the machine and OS, but not
    necessarily with future updates.

    DoDi

  5. Re: Searching for Linux Laptop

    On 4 jun, 21:54, Ramu wrote:
    > I work as a Project Manager in an organization where Vista and MS
    > Office are the official standard and I need to be compliant (while in
    > a work setting). I prefer to co-exist in a Linux and Windows
    > environment so that I can become more family with open source software
    > and advances in cloud computing.
    >
    > The Linux laptop solution that I am looking for has the following
    > requirements:
    >
    > a) Vista is installed.
    > b) Since I have already purchased a number of applications, besides MS
    > Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), that run on top of Windows
    > XP, I would prefer to run these apps either via virtualization or Code
    > Weavers' Crossover Linux (http://www.codeweavers.com/products).
    > c) Default booting is a version of Linux (SUSE, Ubuntu, other) and
    > connected to the Internet (via a wifi or wired network)
    > d) At my work environment, I have to join the domain (corporate
    > network), which I am not sure has to be via Vista only.
    > e) Enhance my personal productivity at work (where I am running Vista)
    > while still taking advantage of running applications (referred to in
    > point b above).
    > f) Laptop can be new or refurbished.
    >
    > Any pointers to service providers in the Seattle area is greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks for any guidance.
    >
    > Ramu

    Why don' t you try Asus Eee PC 701?

    It runs Linux and It has everything you need to an office work.

    Best Regards!

  6. Re: Searching for Linux Laptop

    Ramu wrote:

    > I work as a Project Manager in an organization where Vista and MS
    > Office are the official standard and I need to be compliant (while in
    > a work setting). I prefer to co-exist in a Linux and Windows
    > environment so that I can become more family with open source software
    > and advances in cloud computing.
    >
    > The Linux laptop solution that I am looking for has the following
    > requirements:
    >
    > a) Vista is installed.
    > b) Since I have already purchased a number of applications, besides MS
    > Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), that run on top of Windows
    > XP, I would prefer to run these apps either via virtualization or Code
    > Weavers' Crossover Linux (http://www.codeweavers.com/products).
    > c) Default booting is a version of Linux (SUSE, Ubuntu, other) and
    > connected to the Internet (via a wifi or wired network)
    > d) At my work environment, I have to join the domain (corporate
    > network), which I am not sure has to be via Vista only.
    > e) Enhance my personal productivity at work (where I am running Vista)
    > while still taking advantage of running applications (referred to in
    > point b above).
    > f) Laptop can be new or refurbished.
    >
    > Any pointers to service providers in the Seattle area is greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks for any guidance.
    >
    > Ramu

    I use VMWARE software for virtualization. The workstation product is
    world class.
    I also use the VMWARE server for virtualization.

    I also make sure that the laptop has the maximum RAM allowed and a large
    hard disk drive.

    Windows Vista is my base operating system. With the above, I can create
    an arbitrary
    network of few virtual machines on the laptop. I currently run one Linux
    virual machine,
    along with Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP Professional as virtual
    machines
    under Vista. This works reasonably well in a development environment.
    The virtual machines
    can be archived and restored as necessary from network servers having
    sufficient
    storage space.

    PS. This requires a recent high-end laptop. If you are using older
    laptops, you may be best
    to avoid virtualization and install Linux as the native laptop operating
    system.

    Sincerely,
    Steve

  7. Re: Searching for Linux Laptop

    Ramu wrote:
    > I work as a Project Manager in an organization where Vista and MS
    > Office are the official standard and I need to be compliant (while in
    > a work setting). I prefer to co-exist in a Linux and Windows
    > environment so that I can become more family with open source software
    > and advances in cloud computing.
    >
    > The Linux laptop solution that I am looking for has the following
    > requirements:
    >
    > a) Vista is installed.
    > b) Since I have already purchased a number of applications, besides MS
    > Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), that run on top of Windows
    > XP, I would prefer to run these apps either via virtualization or Code
    > Weavers' Crossover Linux (http://www.codeweavers.com/products).
    > c) Default booting is a version of Linux (SUSE, Ubuntu, other) and
    > connected to the Internet (via a wifi or wired network)
    > d) At my work environment, I have to join the domain (corporate
    > network), which I am not sure has to be via Vista only.
    > e) Enhance my personal productivity at work (where I am running Vista)
    > while still taking advantage of running applications (referred to in
    > point b above).
    > f) Laptop can be new or refurbished.
    >
    > Any pointers to service providers in the Seattle area is greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks for any guidance.
    >
    > Ramu

    TheCheck dells Factory Out let. As for Seattle area service provider I
    asume you mean repair shop, in that case i highly recommend Seattle micro.

    Thanks,

    Porter Fire Ant Smith

+ Reply to Thread