Seeking xorg.conf entry for Nokia 477Xpro on Fedora 9 - Setup

This is a discussion on Seeking xorg.conf entry for Nokia 477Xpro on Fedora 9 - Setup ; Does anyone know what I should put on xorg.conf file for ancient Nokia 477Xpro monitor? Fedora 9 does not recognise the model (says it is "generic CRT 800x600" although it can do 1600x1200) and if I set the model by ...

  1. Seeking xorg.conf entry for Nokia 477Xpro on Fedora 9

    Does anyone know what I should put on xorg.conf file
    for ancient Nokia 477Xpro monitor?

    Fedora 9 does not recognise the model (says it is "generic CRT
    800x600" although it can do 1600x1200) and if I set the model by hand
    (system-config-display) the monitor says that signal is out of range.

  2. Re: Seeking xorg.conf entry for Nokia 477Xpro on Fedora 9

    hvaisane@cc.joensuu.fi wrote:
    > Does anyone know what I should put on xorg.conf file
    > for ancient Nokia 477Xpro monitor?
    >

    > Fedora 9 does not recognise the model (says it is "generic CRT
    > 800x600" although it can do 1600x1200) and if I set the model by hand
    > (system-config-display) the monitor says that signal is out of range.

    I did a little surfing to come up with:

    17" Trinitron flatscreen, 0.25 mm dot pitch
    Maximum dot frequency: 140 MHz

    Horizontal Frequency: 30 - 82 kHz
    Vertical Frequency: 50 - 110 Hz

    Supported Resolutions

    640 x 480 up to 110 Hz
    800 x 600 up to 110 Hz
    832 x 624 up to 100 Hz
    1024 x 768 up to 100 Hz
    1152 x 870 up to 80 Hz
    1280 x 1024 up to 76 Hz

    That suggests that you start with:

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "Monitor Model"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 110.0
    EndSection

    Also a 17" monitor with 0.25mm pitch probably has a "native" resolution
    of 1024x768, so that would give you the sharpest image. Just because
    the amplifiers can handle higher resolutions and frequencies doesn't
    mean the tube is any good at displaying them.

    HTH

  3. Seeking xorg.conf entry for Nokia **** 447Xpro **** on Fedora 9

    Oh dear, I meant Nokia 447Xpro, that is four *FOUR* seven Xpro.

    So, does anyone know what I should put on xorg.conf file
    for ancient Nokia 447Xpro monitor?

    Allen Kistler writes:
    >I did a little surfing to come up with [for 477Xpro]:

    Where did you find the data?

    > HorizSync
    > VertRefresh

    If I use the values that are on 447Xpro manual, the
    monitor says signal is out of range....

  4. Re: Seeking xorg.conf entry for Nokia **** 447Xpro **** on Fedora9

    hvaisane@cc.joensuu.fi wrote:
    > Oh dear, I meant Nokia 447Xpro, that is four *FOUR* seven Xpro.
    >
    > So, does anyone know what I should put on xorg.conf file
    > for ancient Nokia 447Xpro monitor?
    >

    > Allen Kistler writes:
    >> I did a little surfing to come up with [for 477Xpro]:

    > Where did you find the data?
    >

    >> HorizSync
    >> VertRefresh

    > If I use the values that are on 447Xpro manual, the
    > monitor says signal is out of range....

    Well, start with

    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%2B...o+%2Bfrequency

    Then among the top links ...

    http://press.nokia.com/PR/199806/778096_5.html has this to say about the
    447Xpro/a (apparently 447Xpro with audio):

    <-
    the 447Xpro /a 17-inch monitor (15.8"viewable), an audio enhanced
    version of its current 447Xpro display....
    The 0.25mm aperture grill pitch displays excellent color output and
    image detail.
    ->

    .... so I'd still say that you have a 1024x768 monitor with electronics
    that could drive a better tube, if you had a better tube, but you don't.

    http://doc.delec.com/cgi-bin/hal.exe...Show;ID=286267
    has this to say:

    <-
    - RESOLUTION:
    - 1600X1200 AT 75 HZ
    - 1280X1024 AT 90 HZ
    - 1152X870 AT 110 HZ
    - 1024X768 AT 120 HZ
    - 800X600 AT 150 HZ
    - 640X480 AT 150 HZ
    - HORIZONTAL SCAN FREQUENCY: 30 TO 96 KHZ
    - VERTICAL SCAN FREQUENCY: 50 TO 150 HZ
    ->

    You could always put lower numbers in the HorizSync and VertRefresh
    values than the amplifier maximums. For example, for my LCD monitor, I put
    VertRefresh 60.0 - 60.0
    so that the refresh rate is always 60 Hz (i.e., the optimal), even
    though it can handle higher and lower frequencies and DDC reports that
    frequency range. Try it with 75.0 for your monitor. See how 1024x768
    looks.

  5. Re: Seeking xorg.conf entry for Nokia **** 447Xpro **** on Fedora 9

    Allen Kistler writes:
    >You could always put lower numbers in the HorizSync and VertRefresh
    >values than the amplifier maximums.
    >Try it with 75.0 for your monitor. See how 1024x768
    >looks.

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread