"partition table on device sda was unreadable" on FC6 --> FC9 upgradeattempt - Setup

This is a discussion on "partition table on device sda was unreadable" on FC6 --> FC9 upgradeattempt - Setup ; Trying to upgrade an FC6 machine to FC9 (and keep existing data). On the install from DVD, I see this: "The partition table on device sda was unreadable. To create new partitions it must be initialized, causing the loss of ...

  1. "partition table on device sda was unreadable" on FC6 --> FC9 upgradeattempt

    Trying to upgrade an FC6 machine to FC9 (and keep existing data).

    On the install from DVD, I see this:
    "The partition table on device sda was unreadable.
    To create new partitions it must be initialized,
    causing the loss of ALL DATA on this drive."

    Not what I wanted to hear, as all I'm looking to do here is
    upgrade the OS from FC6 to 9.

    Somewhere on the 'net I read something about the
    host-protected area of hard drives treated differently
    effective with FC7. Is this true? If so, is it relevant?

    Do I really have to install from the ground up in
    order to upgrade a machine from FC6 to FC9?

    Thanks,
    -Richard Vaughn

  2. Re: "partition table on device sda was unreadable" on FC6 --> FC9upgradeattempt

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 12:38:27 -0700, Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > Trying to upgrade an FC6 machine to FC9 (and keep existing data).
    >
    > On the install from DVD, I see this:
    > "The partition table on device sda was unreadable. To create new
    > partitions it must be initialized, causing the loss of ALL DATA on this
    > drive."
    >
    > Not what I wanted to hear, as all I'm looking to do here is upgrade the
    > OS from FC6 to 9.
    >
    > Somewhere on the 'net I read something about the host-protected area of
    > hard drives treated differently effective with FC7. Is this true? If
    > so, is it relevant?
    >
    > Do I really have to install from the ground up in order to upgrade a
    > machine from FC6 to FC9?

    FC6 to Fedora 9 is a pretty big range to upgrade. I wouldn't risk it.
    I've had a couple of friends who did upgrades from 7 to 9, and they had
    problems. With one, the system wouldn't boot after the install
    finished. We had to use a LiveCD to backup all his data, then he did a
    "clean" install. Worked okay after that. Better that you back up your
    FC6 system to another drive and do a clean 9 install, or install 9 on a
    second drive, and mount what FC6 partitions you want to access from 9,
    then when 9 is stable and fully configures, redo do your FC6 LVM
    partitions getting rid of the 6 files, and allocating the new space to 9.

    I've ALWAYS avoid upgrading. I've read too much about the problems. I
    only do clean installs. I just installed 9 64-bit on vacant space on my
    HD, and have it dual booting with my FC6 64-bit install with FC6's grub
    controlling the boot. That way I have a fallback system in case 9 has
    problems, which it has had in the week I've been running it 24/7--locked
    up or just plain crashed a couple times. (I think its related to GNOME's
    screensaver. Had the same problem with FC6 initially, but after a couple
    of updates, it stopped. I have it turned off currently to test my
    theory.)

    As far as "protected" areas, Fedora's install instructions state (IIRC)
    that when doing a distro upgrade the /home partition will not be
    overwritten and data will be preserved, although config files may be
    altered. However, if home is not a partition, but a directory like in /,
    it will be destroyed. Since I don't use LVM, but custom partition my
    drive, I can't speak of the behavior of LVM partitioning with upgrades.

    These links may be of help:

    http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/
    http://fedoraguide.info/index.php/Main_Page (particularly, the
    "Upgrade" Section)

    Stef

  3. Re: "partition table on device sda was unreadable" on FC6 --> FC9 upgrade attempt

    Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > Somewhere on the 'net I read something about the
    > host-protected area of hard drives treated differently
    > effective with FC7. Is this true? If so, is it relevant?

    Yes, see:
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/..._working_drive

    > Do I really have to install from the ground up in
    > order to upgrade a machine from FC6 to FC9?

    No, but read the release notes section on upgrades first:
    http://docs.fedoraproject.org/releas...Related-Issues

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  4. Re: "partition table on device sda was unreadable" on FC6 --> FC9 upgrade attempt

    Markku Kolkka wrote:

    > Richard Vaughn wrote:
    >> Somewhere on the 'net I read something about the
    >> host-protected area of hard drives treated differently
    >> effective with FC7. Is this true? If so, is it relevant?

    > Yes, see:

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/..._working_drive

    >> Do I really have to install from the ground up in
    >> order to upgrade a machine from FC6 to FC9?

    > No, but read the release notes section on upgrades first:

    http://docs.fedoraproject.org/releas...Related-Issues

    Get Mandriva instead.

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread