Clonezilla - clone or image file? - Setup

This is a discussion on Clonezilla - clone or image file? - Setup ; It's not clear to me what you get when you use Clonezilla in the "No Compression" mode to copy a partition. Do you get a byte-for-byte, sector-by-sector copy of the partition that would be bootable if the "parent" partition is ...

  1. Clonezilla - clone or image file?

    It's not clear to me what you get when you use Clonezilla in the
    "No Compression" mode to copy a partition. Do you get a
    byte-for-byte, sector-by-sector copy of the partition that would
    be bootable if the "parent" partition is bootable? Or do you get
    an uncompressed image file of the partition that must be stored
    as a file in a file system just like a compressed image must?

    I want to copy a partition that contains a bootable OS to another
    hard drive (in the same machine) and have the OS bootable from
    the 2nd hard drive, and not have to "restore" the image file to a
    partition before it could be booted. Can Clonezilla do this?

    *TimDaniels*

  2. Re: Clonezilla - clone or image file?

    TimDaniels writes:
    > I want to copy a partition that contains a bootable OS to another hard
    > drive (in the same machine) and have the OS bootable from the 2nd hard
    > drive, and not have to "restore" the image file to a partition before it
    > could be booted.

    Just use dd.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  3. Re: Clonezilla - clone or image file?

    "John Hasler" intoned:
    > TimDaniels writes:
    >> I want to copy a partition that contains a bootable OS to another hard
    >> drive (in the same machine) and have the OS bootable from the 2nd hard
    >> drive, and not have to "restore" the image file to a partition before it
    >> could be booted.

    > Just use dd.

    Most of the partition does not contain data, and I don't want to
    wait while dd copies non-data.

    TimDaniels

+ Reply to Thread