Q: Wildcard subdomains with GoDaddy? - Setup

This is a discussion on Q: Wildcard subdomains with GoDaddy? - Setup ; I can set subdomains individually with CNAMES(Aliases). But I want every subdomain point to same IP. ex) user.db.domain.com abc.def.ghi.domain.com www.www.domain.com I found some articles about this, but it's not clear. Is this possible in GoDaddy.com? Should I move to another ...

  1. Q: Wildcard subdomains with GoDaddy?

    I can set subdomains individually with CNAMES(Aliases).
    But I want every subdomain point to same IP.
    ex) user.db.domain.com abc.def.ghi.domain.com www.www.domain.com

    I found some articles about this, but it's not clear.
    Is this possible in GoDaddy.com?
    Should I move to another service?

    Thank you

    Sean

  2. Re: Q: Wildcard subdomains with GoDaddy?

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:29:54 -0500, skim218 wrote:

    > I can set subdomains individually with CNAMES(Aliases).

    Why is this posted here instead of asking the ISP? This is unrelated to
    Linux and you are not even using Linux.

  3. Re: Q: Wildcard subdomains with GoDaddy?

    On 26 May, 19:39, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:29:54 -0500, skim218 wrote:
    > > I can set subdomains individually with CNAMES(Aliases).

    > Why is this posted here instead of asking the ISP? *This is unrelated to
    > Linux and you are not even using Linux.

    Those are good questions. But he may be using Linux, and probably is
    due to asking here. I'm a Linux consultant with over a decade's
    professional experience, but I write pesonal email from the machine I
    do games on, so I'm answering from a Gmail web client right now. You
    can't assume the person doesn't use Linux because of their email
    client. It's just not proof of that.

    That said, the answer to Sean's client is 'GoDaddy will do this'. They
    will sell you an entire domain, rather than a single hostname, and you
    can make every subdomain of that domain point to the same IP by using
    wildcards. And I'm sure GoDaddy will sell you services to run your own
    DNS servers provide this information, configured the way you want. But
    it's unusual for third party DNS providers to do that, and most of us
    who register entire domains only register those individual hostnames
    we wish, and let errors get a 'Non-existent domain' response.

    Dave is quite right that Sean should take this up with his ISP: they
    may have policies about DNS hosting that matter, and certainly the DNS
    will own reverse DNS for the IP address, which should be configured to
    match the desired primary hostname.

  4. Re: Q: Wildcard subdomains with GoDaddy?

    On Mon, 26 May 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
    <223b03f8-b79b-49e1-8dd8-ec6cae477dda@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    >On 26 May, 19:39, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:29:54 -0500, skim218 wrote:
    >>> I can set subdomains individually with CNAMES(Aliases).

    >> Why is this posted here instead of asking the ISP? This is unrelated to
    >> Linux and you are not even using Linux.

    >Those are good questions. But he may be using Linux, and probably is
    >due to asking here.

    Q: Wildcard subdomains with GoDaddy? Sung Hyun Kim
    Sat, 24 May 2008 15:37:45 -0500
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Q: Wildcard subdomains with GoDaddy? skim218
    Sun, 25 May 2008 06:48:36 -0500
    alt.comp.linux

    Q: Wildcard subdomains with GoDaddy? skim218
    Mon, 26 May 2008 12:29:54 -0500
    comp.os.linux.setup

    and got specific answers in the first group about 3 hours after posting.
    These three posts were identical, even to the same posting IP, and other
    than the date/time differed only in the posting name. No idea where
    else he may have posted.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread