Kernel upgrade - Setup

This is a discussion on Kernel upgrade - Setup ; I am planning to upgrade my Fedora Kernel from 2.6.23.1-42 to 2.6.24... (to overcome the kino firewire issue) Just wanted to know what kind of problems I can expect to encounter. Hope there will be no recompiling of applications. will ...

  1. Kernel upgrade

    I am planning to upgrade my Fedora Kernel from 2.6.23.1-42 to 2.6.24...
    (to overcome the kino firewire issue) Just wanted to know what kind of
    problems I can expect to encounter. Hope there will be no recompiling
    of applications. will it have any effect on the kernel modules? I
    don't want to do many things other than upgrading the kernel using
    yum.

    Thanks, NS

  2. Re: Kernel upgrade

    On 22 May, 10:59, sridhar wrote:
    > I am planning to upgrade my Fedora Kernel from 2.6.23.1-42 to 2.6.24...
    > (to overcome the kino firewire issue) Just wanted to know what kind of
    > problems I can expect to encounter. Hope there will be no recompiling
    > of applications. will it have any effect on the kernel modules? I
    > don't want to do many things other than upgrading the kernel using
    > yum.
    >
    > Thanks, NS

    Kernel updates are pretty painless now. If you update it with yum, it
    should leave the old kernel in place so you can revert to it if
    needed. There may be other packages associated with it, such as
    mkinitrd or Xen, that also need updating to go with it. But that's
    what RPM packaging and yum are for.

+ Reply to Thread