GRUB problem upgrading from Fedora 8 to 9 - Setup

This is a discussion on GRUB problem upgrading from Fedora 8 to 9 - Setup ; Hi folks, Yesterday I used the new preupgrade tool in fedora 8 to upgrade to fedora 9. Everything appeared to be fine, and the upgrade finished cleanly. I then did a yum -y update followed ba a reboot, it closed ...

  1. GRUB problem upgrading from Fedora 8 to 9

    Hi folks,

    Yesterday I used the new preupgrade tool in fedora 8 to upgrade to
    fedora 9. Everything appeared to be fine, and the upgrade finished
    cleanly.

    I then did a yum -y update followed ba a reboot, it closed down but on
    reboot hung with just the word GRUB on the screen. I left it for
    nearly twenty minutes to see if it was doing anything - actually I was
    checking my emails on another machine but we won't go there! - but
    nothing had happened. The newly ugraded F9 won't boot.

    I had already downloaded, and burnt to cd, a F9 netinstall cd, and
    when I tried to boot from that I could. I can get into a rescue
    session, but have no idea what to do next.

    When I tried to do an upgrade from the cd it asked me for a
    repository. I'll have to admit I had assumed it would know where the
    repositories are, because I don't, and a quick google didn't help.

    I had wanted to upgrade, rather than do a clean install, because I
    thought it would be quicker and easier, without having to do all the
    reconfiguration again, less than six months after doing it when going
    from FC6 to F8 - does anybody else think that Fedora are doing new
    releases too fast?

    Any help or advice gratefully received.

    Many thanks,

    Dave

  2. Re: GRUB problem upgrading from Fedora 8 to 9

    In article
    <3cc00dd3-b287-4a20-aaee-6e1d80e84e79@27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Dave
    wrote:

    > I had wanted to upgrade, rather than do a clean install, because I
    > thought it would be quicker and easier, without having to do all the
    > reconfiguration again, less than six months after doing it when going
    > from FC6 to F8 - does anybody else think that Fedora are doing new
    > releases too fast?
    >
    > Any help or advice gratefully received.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    Hello, and I've always found it required a lot less time to do a clean
    install and recommend that you start over with F9. Clean installs of
    Fedora seem to work better as well. Also, when installing other apps
    (e.g. XMMS and VLC) for the first time using Yum and the Fedora, Livna,
    etc. mirrors you tend to get the app version that has been tested with the
    Fedora release that you have installed. At risk of stating the obvious -
    be sure and copy to another machine or media those files you want to
    retain.

    I just installed F9 (home/office + software development packages) on a
    Dell laptop and it's running OK. Can't say it offers any substantive
    improvements over F8 (but maybe I haven't discoverd them yet and suspend
    still doesn't work on my Dell). I do like the convenience offerred by the
    F9/Gnome NetworkManager since I often am connecting to different
    networks. The only other functionality like this I have encountered was
    with the IBM/Lenovo Access Connctions utility and a similar utility
    provided by Toshiba for its laptops. Of course those are Win Doze
    platforms. Sincerely,

    John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail: wood@itd.nrl.navy.mil
    Naval Research Laboratory
    4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20375-5337

  3. Re: GRUB problem upgrading from Fedora 8 to 9

    On 23 May, 12:21, w...@itd.nrl.navy.mil (J. B. Wood) wrote:
    > In article
    > <3cc00dd3-b287-4a20-aaee-6e1d80e84...@27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Dave
    >
    > wrote:
    > > I had wanted to upgrade, rather than do a clean install, because I
    > > thought it would be quicker and easier, without having to do all the
    > > reconfiguration again, less than six months after doing it when going
    > > from FC6 to F8 - does anybody else think that Fedora are doing new
    > > releases too fast?

    > > Any help or advice gratefully received.

    > > Many thanks,

    > > Dave

    > Hello, and I've always found it required a lot less time to do a clean
    > install and recommend that you start over with F9. *Clean installs of
    > Fedora seem to work better as well. *Also, when installing other apps
    > (e.g. XMMS and VLC) for the first time using Yum and the Fedora, Livna,
    > etc. mirrors you tend to get the app version that has been tested with the
    > Fedora release that you have installed. *At risk of stating the obvious -
    > be sure and copy to another machine or media those files you want to
    > retain.

    Thanks for this.

    I was afraid someone would say something like this.

    In fact someone at work has suggested that I use a rescue disk, do a
    chroot, got into /boot/grub (IIRC) and then do a grub-install (or is
    it install-grub!).

    I did this last night, and now everything appears to be working ok.

    Except ...

    Everything seems to be working a LOT slower than on FC8 - does anyone
    know if FC9 is slower?

    Dave

  4. Re: GRUB problem upgrading from Fedora 8 to 9

    * Dave wrote in comp.os.linux.setup:

    > Any help or advice gratefully received.

    have you try a supergrub boot CD?

    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

    --
    David

  5. Re: GRUB problem upgrading from Fedora 8 to 9

    Dave wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Yesterday I used the new preupgrade tool in fedora 8 to upgrade to
    > fedora 9. Everything appeared to be fine, and the upgrade finished
    > cleanly.
    >
    > I then did a yum -y update followed ba a reboot, it closed down but on
    > reboot hung with just the word GRUB on the screen. I left it for
    > nearly twenty minutes to see if it was doing anything - actually I was
    > checking my emails on another machine but we won't go there! - but
    > nothing had happened. The newly ugraded F9 won't boot.
    >
    > I had already downloaded, and burnt to cd, a F9 netinstall cd, and
    > when I tried to boot from that I could. I can get into a rescue
    > session, but have no idea what to do next.
    >
    > When I tried to do an upgrade from the cd it asked me for a
    > repository. I'll have to admit I had assumed it would know where the
    > repositories are, because I don't, and a quick google didn't help.
    >
    > I had wanted to upgrade, rather than do a clean install, because I
    > thought it would be quicker and easier, without having to do all the
    > reconfiguration again, less than six months after doing it when going
    > from FC6 to F8 - does anybody else think that Fedora are doing new
    > releases too fast?
    >
    > Any help or advice gratefully received.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    Dave,

    Go ahead and boot into the rescue mode via the net install cd and chroot
    into your corrupted installation and issue the following piped commands.

    yum -y update| yum-y upgrade

    or alternatively whaile ibn the chrooted environment you can to the
    followin

    yum-install synaptic ( this will also install the advanced package
    management system which you can use to remedy the situation)

    apt-get update

    apt-get upgrade

    apt-get dist-upgrade

    Thanks,

    Porter Fire Ant Smith

  6. Re: GRUB problem upgrading from Fedora 8 to 9

    Hello,
    I am also facing the same problem.After upgrade from F8 to F9, I did yum -y update. After I am unable to get the grub loader. It just flashing GRUB. Nothing is happening. Could any body please help me in this regard?

    -Srinivas

  7. Re: GRUB problem upgrading from Fedora 8 to 9

    Hi ,
    I also have same problem. I upgraded from F8 to F9 and did yum -y update. After rebooting, I am unable to get the grub loader. It is just flashing GRUB and nothing is happening. Could any body please help me out in this regard?

    -Srinivas

+ Reply to Thread