Multimedia codecs - Setup

This is a discussion on Multimedia codecs - Setup ; I'm new to linux, trying to get some codecs installed, i followed the instructions on the following site... http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...ux-39555.shtml everything went fine but still getting msgs from mplayer, helix and realplayer that required codecs are missing, i'm sure i just ...

  1. Multimedia codecs

    I'm new to linux, trying to get some codecs installed, i followed the
    instructions on the following site...
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...ux-39555.shtml
    everything went fine but still getting msgs from mplayer, helix and
    realplayer that required codecs are missing, i'm sure i just need more/
    different codecs but i can't afford to buy them from fluendo (which is
    where fedora wants me to get them from). Is there any other source
    for a good codec pack that will work for DVD's as well as divx, xvid,
    etc?

    Thanks in advance for the help...

  2. Re: Multimedia codecs

    On 18 May, 21:49, Nathan.Moo...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm new to linux, trying to get some codecs installed, i followed the
    > instructions on the following site...http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...a-Codecs-in-Li...
    > everything went fine but still getting msgs from mplayer, helix and
    > realplayer that required codecs are missing, i'm sure i just need more/
    > different codecs but i can't afford to buy them from fluendo (which is
    > where fedora wants me to get them from). *Is there any other source
    > for a good codec pack that will work for DVD's as well as divx, xvid,
    > etc?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help...

    There's the Penguin Liberation Front, that has a number of RPM
    packages with software that is patent or copyright or software license
    proscribed in different countries to different extents.

  3. Re: Multimedia codecs

    In article
    <84370b33-1533-4870-9c24-c3e2d46c3674@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > On 18 May, 21:49, Nathan.Moo...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I'm new to linux, trying to get some codecs installed, i followed the
    >> instructions on the following

    site...http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...a-Codecs-in-Li...
    >> everything went fine but still getting msgs from mplayer, helix and
    >> realplayer that required codecs are missing, i'm sure i just need
    >> more/ different codecs but i can't afford to buy them from fluendo
    >> (which is where fedora wants me to get them from). *Is there any
    >> other source for a good codec pack that will work for DVD's as well
    >> as divx, xvid, etc?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for the help...

    > There's the Penguin Liberation Front, that has a number of RPM
    > packages with software that is patent or copyright or software license
    > proscribed in different countries to different extents.

  4. Re: Multimedia codecs

    Nathan.Mooney@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm new to linux, trying to get some codecs installed, i followed the
    > instructions on the following site...
    > http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...ux-39555.shtml
    > everything went fine but still getting msgs from mplayer, helix and
    > realplayer that required codecs are missing, i'm sure i just need more/
    > different codecs but i can't afford to buy them from fluendo (which is
    > where fedora wants me to get them from). Is there any other source
    > for a good codec pack that will work for DVD's as well as divx, xvid,
    > etc?

    > Thanks in advance for the help...

    Lets at least get something working. Go to www.myplayerhq.hu or go direct to
    http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/ and download the rpm for your release if you
    have a recent Fedora.

    Both the generic packages and the rpm have worked for me by doing more or
    less what those instruction say. I know I did not create a win32 directly but
    dropped everything in the same /usr/lib directory.

    So far as I am aware REALPLAYER needs only the linux installation package
    from its website and nothing else. If you don't make a global install you will
    have to invoke the /path/realplay directly.

    I never could get helix to work but mplayer and realplay play everything and
    the former even lets you make your own movies.--
    Economics sanctions have never worked.
    That is why they are so popular.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 4000
    http://www.giwersworld.org/holo/nizgas3.html a4

  5. Re: Multimedia codecs

    Nathan.Mooney@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm new to linux, trying to get some codecs installed, i followed the
    > instructions on the following site...
    > http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...ux-39555.shtml
    > everything went fine but still getting msgs from mplayer, helix and
    > realplayer that required codecs are missing, i'm sure i just need more/
    > different codecs but i can't afford to buy them from fluendo (which is
    > where fedora wants me to get them from). Is there any other source
    > for a good codec pack that will work for DVD's as well as divx, xvid,
    > etc?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help...

    have you tried looking into the gstreamerplugins-bad and plugins-ugly
    packages. OF course you could also do a simple Google, livna or fresh
    rpms search for the aforementioned codec plug ins , but be advised
    that most of the "main stream" plug ins are proprietary theses days
    which means your probably better off Paying fluendo for the deluxe
    codecs package.

    Thanks,
    Porter Fire Ant Smith

+ Reply to Thread