GRUB and reboot - Setup

This is a discussion on GRUB and reboot - Setup ; My company has a Linux Fedora 6 server. Two days ago, users could not connect to the internet. I issued the command "ifconfig", and saw that the IP addresses of network cards (3) were not shown. I rebooted the system, ...

  1. GRUB and reboot

    My company has a Linux Fedora 6 server.

    Two days ago, users could not connect to the internet.

    I issued the command "ifconfig", and saw that the IP addresses of
    network cards (3) were not shown.

    I rebooted the system, hoping that the server will bring up the
    network interface again.

    After reboot, the server hangs at "GRUB loading stage2...".

    As far as I know, no other OS is insatlled on the machine.

    I don't have Fedora 6 CD, and is also pretty new with Linux. Any help/
    tips are apreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: GRUB and reboot

    sb5309@yahoo.com wrote:
    > My company has a Linux Fedora 6 server.
    >
    > Two days ago, users could not connect to the internet.
    >
    > I issued the command "ifconfig", and saw that the IP addresses of
    > network cards (3) were not shown.
    >
    > I rebooted the system, hoping that the server will bring up the
    > network interface again.
    >
    > After reboot, the server hangs at "GRUB loading stage2...".
    >
    > As far as I know, no other OS is insatlled on the machine.
    >
    > I don't have Fedora 6 CD, and is also pretty new with Linux. Any help/
    > tips are apreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Download and burn the FC 6 CD.

    In the meantime, at the grub screen, if you can, hit 'tab' and see what
    options you get. Are you running a custom kernel or weird hardware
    configuration that took special steps to boot?

  3. Re: GRUB and reboot

    sb5309@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I rebooted the system, hoping that the server will bring up the
    > network interface again.

    It it was Windows it might have helped. UNICES and alikes usually don't
    solve problems themselfes while rebooting.

    > After reboot, the server hangs at "GRUB loading stage2...".

    The 1st stage bootloader in the MBR tries to load its 2nd stage and
    obviously fails. Burn a Rescue CD (any Linux will do, FC, Knoppix,
    Ubuntu).

    Check the Disk, the Partitiontable and the Filesystem /boot is on.

    If everyting looks good try to run grub-install /dev/sda or whatever
    your disk is.

    Cheers, Isaac

  4. Re: GRUB and reboot

    On May 18, 7:44*am, sb5...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > My company has a Linux Fedora 6 server.
    >
    > Two days ago, users could not connect to the internet.
    >
    > I issued the command "ifconfig", and saw that the IP addresses of
    > network cards (3) were not shown.
    >
    > I rebooted the system, hoping that the server will bring up the
    > network interface again.
    >
    > After reboot, the server hangs at "GRUB loading stage2...".
    >
    > As far as I know, no other OS is insatlled on the machine.
    >
    > I don't have Fedora 6 CD, and is also pretty new with Linux. Any help/
    > tips are apreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Something changed. Do you have a custom kernel, especially one used to
    boot with hardware that was not supported by the default FC6 kernel?
    Or has someone been installing kernels and modules, such as those for
    VMware or Xen HP or Dell management tools?

+ Reply to Thread