Does rysnc works for this? - Setup

This is a discussion on Does rysnc works for this? - Setup ; Dear all, I am going to plan to make a backup with a old server. Previously, my guys told me that when using dd for clone like command to make the clone results in hard disk corruption. I am planning ...

  1. Does rysnc works for this?

    Dear all,

    I am going to plan to make a backup with a old server.
    Previously, my guys told me that when using dd for clone like command
    to make the clone results in hard disk corruption.
    I am planning to work like this:

    On the new machine:
    1. Boot from live cd for else that supports networking.
    2. Mount the local hard drive and format as ext3 (label: /)
    3. rysnc the old machine root (/) to the new one.

    Two machine hardware configuration is identicial, I would like to ask,
    does it work?

  2. Re: Does rysnc works for this?

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 02:06:56 -0700, Jacky, Jack wrote:

    > I am going to plan to make a backup with a old server. Previously, my
    > guys told me that when using dd for clone like command to make the clone
    > results in hard disk corruption. I am planning to work like this:

    dd might work like a charm...

    Had some controller issues on a Wintendo. Installed old and new disk in a
    lab computer. Booted a Linux live CD. Used dd to copy the old 40G SCSI HD
    onto a new 150G SATA. Created a new NTFS-partition for extra space for
    home folders. Installed the SATA disk into the Wintendo box and booted. I
    then moved the home folders, but that's another story...

    > On the new machine:
    > 1. Boot from live cd for else that supports networking. 2. Mount the
    > local hard drive and format as ext3 (label: /) 3. rysnc the old machine
    > root (/) to the new one.

    4. Install bootloader. (man grub-install)
    5. Check /etc/udev for rules that might change expected device names. (On
    my workstation, changing /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules is
    critical in order to make networking work from first boot)

    > Two machine hardware configuration is identicial, I would like to ask,
    > does it work?

    YES..!

    --
    Regards/mvh Joachim Mæland

    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
    -Mario Andretti

  3. Re: Does rysnc works for this?

    Jacky, Jack wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I am going to plan to make a backup with a old server.
    > Previously, my guys told me that when using dd for clone like command
    > to make the clone results in hard disk corruption.
    > I am planning to work like this:
    >
    > On the new machine:
    > 1. Boot from live cd for else that supports networking.
    > 2. Mount the local hard drive and format as ext3 (label: /)
    > 3. rysnc the old machine root (/) to the new one.
    >
    > Two machine hardware configuration is identicial, I would like to ask,
    > does it work?

    I've done this.

    * dd is, overall, fine, but takes a bloody loonger time to run and isn't
    trivially resized to larger disks.

    * rsync will not bring over the boot loader. For that, you may need to either
    'dd' the boot loader and the '/boot' partition if you have a separate one,
    which is easy to do, or boot with that live CD on the new box, mount the / and
    /boot partitions, do a 'chroot' to the mounted /, and run 'grub-install'

  4. Re: Does rysnc works for this?

    On 5$B7n(B18$BF|(B, $B2<8a(B4$B;~(B39$BJ,(B, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Jacky, Jack wrote:
    > > Dear all,

    > > I am going to plan to make a backup with a old server.
    > > Previously, my guys told me that when using dd for clone like command
    > > to make the clone results in hard disk corruption.
    > > I am planning to work like this:

    > > On the new machine:
    > > 1. Boot from live cd for else that supports networking.
    > > 2. Mount the local hard drive and format as ext3 (label: /)
    > > 3. rysnc the old machine root (/) to the new one.

    > > Two machine hardware configuration is identicial, I would like to ask,
    > > does it work?

    > I've done this.
    >
    > * dd is, overall, fine, but takes a bloody loonger time to run and isn't
    > trivially resized to larger disks.
    >
    > * rsync will not bring over the boot loader. For that, you may need to either
    > 'dd' the boot loader and the '/boot' partition if you have a separate one,
    > which is easy to do, or boot with that live CD on the new box, mount the / and
    > /boot partitions, do a 'chroot' to the mounted /, and run 'grub-install'

    Great thanks guys.
    Your help is highly appreciated. I will try all the suggestions.
    Good luck to me. Thx. ^.^

+ Reply to Thread