Linux to be embedded in Asus motherboards, offering 3-second startup. - Setup

This is a discussion on Linux to be embedded in Asus motherboards, offering 3-second startup. - Setup ; But will they make their kernel sources available, in accordance with the GPL? http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1...9418766,00.htm...

  1. Linux to be embedded in Asus motherboards, offering 3-second startup.

    But will they make their kernel sources available, in accordance with
    the GPL?

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1...9418766,00.htm

  2. Re: Linux to be embedded in Asus motherboards, offering 3-secondstartup.

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 12:12:24 -0700, Joe wrote:

    > But will they make their kernel sources available, in accordance with
    > the GPL?
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1...9418766,00.htm

    Asus moved pretty quickly into compliance over the EeePC source code when
    they were criticised over it, let's hope they learnt from that.

  3. Re: Linux to be embedded in Asus motherboards, offering 3-secondstartup.

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 12:12:24 -0700, Joe wrote:

    > But will they make their kernel sources available, in accordance with
    > the GPL?
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1...9418766,00.htm

    Sounds like a great plan, lets hope those of us that want to run our
    choice of distro can stay with Asus. I've been using Asus in my personal
    machines since 97 and they are as stable as a 400lb welfare Mom in line
    for free cheese.

  4. Re: Linux to be embedded in Asus motherboards, offering 3-secondstartup.

    On May 16, 7:18 pm, Leonard The Committed
    wrote:

    > Sounds like a great plan, lets hope those of us that want to run our
    > choice of distro can stay with Asus. I've been using Asus in my personal
    > machines since 97 and they are as stable as a 400lb welfare Mom in line
    > for free cheese.

    Keep in mind though that even if Asus provided some source
    code for the built-in Linux, that doesn't mean the object files in
    the motherboard's flash memory correspond. They could
    potentially put spyware in there and you don't know that
    it's truly safe until you inspect the code and more importantly
    compile and install it yourself.

    As an example, what if someone at DeviceVM, which makes
    the distro, is highly pro-China and decides to prevent
    the embedded Firefox from loading to a pro-Tibet website?

    What's needed really is for Linux partisans to replicate
    what DeviceVM has done.

  5. Re: Linux to be embedded in Asus motherboards, offering 3-secondstartup.

    Joe wrote:
    > But will they make their kernel sources available, in accordance with
    > the GPL?
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1...9418766,00.htm

    Not to be prude bot you guy as a re way behind the roller furling jib on
    this one as I have already read the What They're Using Michael Anti and
    His Eee PC pg 16 MAY 2008 Issue 169 Linux Journal.

    Oh the joys of being hated by your mother for being a pack rat ingeneral

    goodnight and Happy Linux Usage,

    Porter Fire Ant Smith

+ Reply to Thread