Fedora 9 | changing login screen? - Setup

This is a discussion on Fedora 9 | changing login screen? - Setup ; Greetings - I have a number of machines, all running FC7 or FC8. I recently decided to have a look at FC9, so took the least important of my machines, reformatted / (left /home intact), and did the clean install. ...

  1. Fedora 9 | changing login screen?

    Greetings -

    I have a number of machines, all running FC7 or FC8. I recently decided
    to have a look at FC9, so took the least important of my machines,
    reformatted / (left /home intact), and did the clean install. Seemed to
    go fine.

    However, once I fired up FC9, ran into a slew of issues - some minor,
    some less so. I'll start with a minor one - where the heck is the menu
    item to change attributes of the login screen? On all my other Fedora
    boxes, its System | Administration | Login Screen. But, on the Fedora 9
    box, no such menu item (come to think of it - several of other menu
    items I normally find on System | Administration are missing, but I'll
    start with the Login Screen item.

    Oh, and before someone asks, logged in to default gnome desktop as root.

    I'm stumped/puzzled. Suggestions? Pointers to the obvious?

  2. Re: Fedora 9 | changing login screen?

    cooch17@NOSPAMverizon.net wrote:
    > Greetings -
    >
    > I have a number of machines, all running FC7 or FC8. I recently decided
    > to have a look at FC9, so took the least important of my machines,
    > reformatted / (left /home intact), and did the clean install. Seemed to
    > go fine.
    >
    > However, once I fired up FC9, ran into a slew of issues - some minor,
    > some less so. I'll start with a minor one - where the heck is the menu
    > item to change attributes of the login screen? On all my other Fedora
    > boxes, its System | Administration | Login Screen. But, on the Fedora 9
    > box, no such menu item (come to think of it - several of other menu
    > items I normally find on System | Administration are missing, but I'll
    > start with the Login Screen item.
    >
    > Oh, and before someone asks, logged in to default gnome desktop as root.
    >
    > I'm stumped/puzzled. Suggestions? Pointers to the obvious?

    Oh, and I looked for gdmsetup in all the usual places - doesn't exist.

    How very weird. Perhaps Redhat/Fedora doesn't want us to play with the
    spiffy read: annoying) new gdm?

  3. Re: Fedora 9 | changing login screen?

    cooch17@NOSPAMverizon.net wrote:
    > cooch17@NOSPAMverizon.net wrote:
    >> Greetings -
    >>
    >> I have a number of machines, all running FC7 or FC8. I recently
    >> decided to have a look at FC9, so took the least important of my
    >> machines, reformatted / (left /home intact), and did the clean
    >> install. Seemed to go fine.
    >>
    >> However, once I fired up FC9, ran into a slew of issues - some minor,
    >> some less so. I'll start with a minor one - where the heck is the menu
    >> item to change attributes of the login screen? On all my other Fedora
    >> boxes, its System | Administration | Login Screen. But, on the Fedora
    >> 9 box, no such menu item (come to think of it - several of other menu
    >> items I normally find on System | Administration are missing, but I'll
    >> start with the Login Screen item.
    >>
    >> Oh, and before someone asks, logged in to default gnome desktop as root.
    >>
    >> I'm stumped/puzzled. Suggestions? Pointers to the obvious?

    > Oh, and I looked for gdmsetup in all the usual places - doesn't exist.
    >
    > How very weird. Perhaps Redhat/Fedora doesn't want us to play with the
    > spiffy read: annoying) new gdm?

    Actually it's Gnome (i.e., the Gnome Project) that doesn't provide the
    option/utility to change the greeter (aka login screen). Lots of other
    folks have complained about its inflexibility, too.

    If you get ambitious, there are some things you can change by editing
    the GConf structures for the gdm user. Like you can hide the
    reboot/shutdown buttons if you want (and a very few other useless
    things). As of about a week ago, Gnome added an option to hide the user
    list on the login screen, an excellent improvement that would be nice if
    it came downstream to Fedora.

    The best documentation on what you can and cannot do is at www.gnome.org.

+ Reply to Thread