[Win Virtual Server] Linux in Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 - Setup

This is a discussion on [Win Virtual Server] Linux in Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 - Setup ; Dear colleagues, I installed MS Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 on my Windows Server 2008 x64 SP1 and successfully created a new Virtual Machine with 5GB HDD and 512MB RAM. The physical machine has 4GB RAM and a AMD Opteron ...

  1. [Win Virtual Server] Linux in Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1

    Dear colleagues,

    I installed MS Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 on my Windows Server 2008
    x64 SP1 and successfully created a new Virtual Machine with 5GB HDD
    and 512MB RAM.

    The physical machine has 4GB RAM and a AMD Opteron 180 processor in
    it.

    When I try to install a Linux distribution the setup always fails at
    some step. (Most frequently when the Linux setup script tells me
    something similar like "Copying to tmpfs....").
    I tried SuSE, CentOS and Fedora - all of them hang during the
    installation.

    Before upgrading the CPU to a dual-core Opteron 180, I was using a
    single-core Athlon64 4000+ which made absolutely no problem (the
    remaining configuration was identical).

    Installing Windows OSes still works fine.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks a lot in advance

  2. Re: Linux in Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1

    On May 14, 3:51 am, mazanec.mar...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Dear colleagues,
    >
    > I installed MS Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 on my Windows Server 2008
    > x64 SP1 and successfully created a new Virtual Machine with 5GB HDD
    > and 512MB RAM.

    Why don't you try with VirtualBox ?
    http://www.virtualbox.org/

    I never had problems with it and its free!

+ Reply to Thread