I'm just moving from Windows to Linux, and had problems to establish an
Internet connection (DSL over WLAN). For evaluation I installed both the
32 and 64 bit version of openSuSE 10.3. Since I'm very new to networking
and Linux, here some observations:

As I configured my WLAN station (Fritz!Box), it seems to be a router,
not a DSL modem. This setting seems to make a big difference, even if I
found the consequences not mentioned appropriately in the docs. I also
have explicitly specified that channel, what may make problems when I
have to change the channel in the future, and I also specified the ESSID
of my network. The latter seems to be a requirement, since frequently
multiple WLANs are active, here around.

Another quite undocumented restriction seems to be, that only one
network card can be configured for DHCP?

I'm not sure about "internet zones", finally turned off the firewall,
which may have prevented Internet access at all?

In the 32 bit version I succeeded with:
- selecting one of the lower WLAN channels (ch. 13 was not recognized)
- selecting "traditional" (ifup) management
- selecting wlan0 in kinternet

Unfortunately this setup didn't work in the 64 bit version. Kinternet
finally only retained the "dsl0" device for activation, not the eth0 and
wlan0 devices. There I had to enable KNetworkManager, which seems to
return realistic transmission statistics, whereas Kinternet didn't
report any transmissions at all.

Does there really exist differences between the 32 and 64 bit versions,
which prevent using one unique setup?

Is ifup still usable with WLAN and DSL, or should KNetworkManager be
used instead (nowadays, with DSL)?

Thanks for any clarifications
DoDi