32-bit library on 64-bit SUSE 10 system - Setup

This is a discussion on 32-bit library on 64-bit SUSE 10 system - Setup ; Hi All, I compiled a program in a rare language (Common Lisp) on a 32-bit SUSE 10 system. When I load the program on my virtual server (64-bit SUSE 10) the program fails in accessing a 32-bit library libssl.so.0.9.8. (Because ...

  1. 32-bit library on 64-bit SUSE 10 system

    Hi All,

    I compiled a program in a rare language (Common Lisp) on a 32-bit SUSE 10 system. When I load the program on my virtual server (64-bit SUSE 10) the program fails in accessing a 32-bit library libssl.so.0.9.8. (Because Lisp is dynamic, I can skip loading the library and the program works)

    Thus I tried to install the 32-bit version of libssl on the 64-bit machine, which is offered by yast2. yast pretends to install this library, but when finished the library is not present.

    I am no unix expert. So my question is: Can I install a 32-bit library on a 64-bit machine?

    Any help appreciated.

    Andreas

  2. Re: 32-bit library on 64-bit SUSE 10 system

    Andreas Thiele wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I compiled a program in a rare language (Common Lisp) on a 32-bit SUSE 10
    > system. When I load the program on my virtual server (64-bit SUSE 10) the
    > program fails in accessing a 32-bit library libssl.so.0.9.8. (Because Lisp
    > is dynamic, I can skip loading the library and the program works)
    >
    > Thus I tried to install the 32-bit version of libssl on the 64-bit
    > machine, which is offered by yast2. yast pretends to install this library,
    > but when finished the library is not present.
    >
    > I am no unix expert. So my question is: Can I install a 32-bit library on
    > a 64-bit machine?

    Yes, in fact it should've.
    Were you looking in the right place?
    The way things evolved when 64bit x86 arrived was, 64bit libs went into the
    /lib64 directories, and the old 32bit libs continued to reside in the /lib
    directories...

    Check /etc/ld.so.conf to make sure the library paths for the 32 bit libs are
    accessable. (the paths are needed for ld to be able to link them)

    Try doing a locate or find to see where libssl is.

  3. Re: 32-bit library on 64-bit SUSE 10 system

    I demand that Andrew Halliwell may or may not have written...

    [snip]
    > The way things evolved when 64bit x86 arrived was, 64bit libs went into the
    > /lib64 directories, and the old 32bit libs continued to reside in the /lib
    > directories...

    $ ls -ld /lib*
    drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 5120 2008-05-08 15:16 /lib/
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2007-08-23 14:29 /lib32 -> /emul/ia32-linux/lib
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2007-08-23 14:29 /lib64 -> /lib
    $

    [snip]
    | + Output less CO2 => avoid boiling weather. TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

    This tagline exists to áññòý thösê ñót ûs*ñg ISO Latin1.

  4. Re: 32-bit library on 64-bit SUSE 10 system

    Darren Salt wrote:
    > I demand that Andrew Halliwell may or may not have written...
    >
    > [snip]
    >> The way things evolved when 64bit x86 arrived was, 64bit libs went into the
    >> /lib64 directories, and the old 32bit libs continued to reside in the /lib
    >> directories...

    > $ ls -ld /lib*
    > drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 5120 2008-05-08 15:16 /lib/
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2007-08-23 14:29 /lib32 -> /emul/ia32-linux/lib
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2007-08-23 14:29 /lib64 -> /lib
    > $
    >
    > [snip]
    >> Darren Salt | linux or ds at | nr. Ashington, | Toon
    >> RISC OS, Linux | youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
    >> + Output less CO2 => avoid boiling weather. TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

    > This tagline exists to áññòý thösê ñót ûs*ñg ISO Latin1.

    Hi Darren, hi Andrew

    Thank you both for your help. I checked your proposals and everythink was fine.
    Meanwhile I browsed through some forums and found that I have a memory problem.
    My (1und1) virtual server has very little memory. This makes yast fail. I succeeded in
    using yast by killing unneeded processes. This minimum memory usage made yast
    work. Now I have installed the 32-bit version of openssl and my program is
    completely happy.

    Thanks.
    Andreas

  5. Re: 32-bit library on 64-bit SUSE 10 system

    Andreas Thiele wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I compiled a program in a rare language (Common Lisp) on a 32-bit SUSE 10 system. When I load the program on my virtual server (64-bit SUSE 10) the program fails in accessing a 32-bit library libssl.so.0.9.8. (Because Lisp is dynamic, I can skip loading the library and the program works)
    >
    > Thus I tried to install the 32-bit version of libssl on the 64-bit machine, which is offered by yast2. yast pretends to install this library, but when finished the library is not present.
    >
    > I am no unix expert. So my question is: Can I install a 32-bit library on a 64-bit machine?
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Andreas

    simple enough acquire the appropriate package of aforementioned library
    and hand compile it the run your program and in the feature i'd
    appreciate it if you would pleas enclude error messages or paste bin
    links of error messages from the appropriate subdirectory of /va/logs.

    Thanks,

    Porter (Fire ant) smith

+ Reply to Thread